36 Mafia wins an OSCAR!!

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
ManDAmyth said:
Is that in term of respect, or in terms of how good you think their music is. That'll be pretty weak if you start liking their music just because they won an award. maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

no i have never heard Three Six Mafia's music until i listened to that movie song.

i had heard the name previously, but never paid any attention.

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Rhythmikal said:
no i have never heard Three Six Mafia's music until i listened to that movie song.

i had heard the name previously, but never paid any attention.

triple six has been doin big for the south for a long time. I wasnt suprised to see that they won. They deserve it because they finally gettin some credit for all the grind that they been puttin in. I'll agree that they're pretty damn ignorant though! but who isnt' alot of the time, especially when youve been drinking promithazine all night long!!

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
This is surely a great and inspiring moment for all hip hop artists and musicians, producers etc. Did you check how the camera panned to every minority in the biulding after it was announced? Did you see the how fired up & in awe they were? This is an outstanding accomplishment in my eyes and deserves to celebrated. This can only be seen as a big step forward for all aspects of hip hop. Or is it just a sly attempt at further blaxploitation? Regardless at how you look at it; I am still happy for them and what they achieved for all of us. My only problem is that we still seek the approval of these silver spoon fed clowns to substantiate how truly great hip hop already is.
ONE

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
It's about as great Halle Berry winning an Oscar for playing a whore in swordfish. It doesn't matter if you get it, it's how you get it (without exploiting yourself or your people).

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
O-H-TEN said:
Or is it just a sly attempt at further blaxploitation?
ONE

without a doubt. dude, I watched some of the oscars,,,,tell me this,,,,why were all the minoroties seated near eachother? For real, Jamie fox was infront of J-Lo and marc Anthony. Will and Jada were near Denzel. My wife and I noticed that. I mean, dont get me wrong, its good toi see hip hop recognized and all. But as far as the oscars, and the mainstream, Hip Hop will only be exploited as music for dumb minorities and wiggers. I mean, it sounds funny when I say it aloud. But thats it. And acceptance speaches all like, ",,,Na I'm sayin,,,yeah, yeah,," don't help. Feel me. I ain't hatin, just would like to see Hip Hop treated with more respect.(from the cats outside the culture)

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Kevin A said:
It's about as great Halle Berry winning an Oscar for playing a whore in swordfish. It doesn't matter if you get it, it's how you get it (without exploiting yourself or your people).
Monster ball dude....she just showed sum tittays in swordfish

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
I wish the name was the only mistake I made about it.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
damn i did'nt know they had won, shit, those are my niggas i been listening to them since i was in 5th grade ever since thta slob on my knob song came out.

bout time, well deserved win.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
x-squizet said:
damn i did'nt know they had won, shit, those are my niggas i been listening to them since i was in 5th grade ever since thta slob on my knob song came out.

bout time, well deserved win.
SLOB...on , my , knob..
Certainly oscar material...
But I think we're on to something here.
Think about the cat who did the geisha girl soundtrak and everything he went through to get there and then "The Oscar goes to...Its hard out here for a pimp.."
I mean if you take it in context of the movie then yeah I can see but probably most people like myself thought that the actor dropped those lyrics.
Blaxploitation? Maybe ..
That in itself should be its own lounge thread.
When is it good? When is it bad yadayada BUT,
I like to see hiphop win but um that is sorta suspect ,in a vaccuum, of being pimped....
Big up to them tho.Cant tell em shit now..LOL
Oh and Halle is a wonderful beautiful woman.

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Kevin A said:

StressWon said:
I ain't hatin, just would like to see Hip Hop treated with more respect.(from the cats outside the culture)

That's exactly what I was getting at... that, and "...If I don't like it, I don't like it. That don't mean that I'm hating..."

Big ups to them anyway... I know they've been doing their thing since like '91 or something.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
just the name of the song will get these white high class business types muttering under their breath to each other. thats the problem. people wont take it seriously outside of hip hop.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Rhythmikal said:
just the name of the song will get these white high class business types muttering under their breath to each other. thats the problem. people wont take it seriously outside of hip hop.

i agree man,,,but again,,,its the concept matter. I mean, yeah, these uppity whiteys aint gonna take hip hop serious as long as tracks are talkin about how hard it is for pimps,,lol,,,ahhhhh,,thats just funny,,this world is goin to shit. I blame Bush. (i'm just blamin him for everything now)

T

The Bastard

djswivel said:
Correction....only 38.8 million viewers. A billion?! you're crazy lol

But it was a big night for hip hop regardless...

Eminem started it 2 years ago when he won the Oscar for 8 mile. But he didn't even show up to the awards show because he didn't think he had a chance to win. Luckily after Eminem won, 36 Mafia knew they had a chance to win so they showed up, perfomed, and defiantely had the suprize moment of the awards show...
eminems not a hip hop artist
Kevin A said:
666 may not be the mark of the beast, but it is a symbol of evil. It's a fact that people all over the world associate 666 with evil. I have no doubt that 3 6 mafia was smart enough to understand that this is not a symbol of evil, before using the symbol. Because many people have gave power to the symbol 666 through ignorance, it now has the appearence of evil, and if you are wise abstain from it.
666 isnt a sign of evil,thats just rumors made up by the catholic church centuries ago to steer people away from other religions,look it up

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
The Bastard said:
666 isnt a sign of evil,thats just rumors made up by the catholic church centuries ago to steer people away from other religions,look it up
Thats a moot point....It represents evil now no matter what the original meaning or reasoning behind it...and when 3 6 took the name they knew that ..I think thats the point cats is missing

hollaatroy

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Man the whole thing is a smoke screen. You think them white folks that voted for them REALLY believed that was the best movie song of the year? Be for real. Every so often when whitey feels that minorities are "catching up", they use some sort of barometer to show where we really are. All that Oscar was to white folks was water cooler conversation the next day at work. I could just picture them hi-fivin' each other saying "Pheeewwww, I thought they were catchin' up, but things still look safe for now". It's a Chapelle skit waiting to happen. There is always a flip side to it. Just like Halle winning for being a hoe, and Denzel winning the first time he plays a bad guy. I'm happy for 3 6 b/c to them, that's the greatest thing that will ever happen in their lives. Hopefully it leads to more record sales and greater pub. And O-H-TEN, I feel you on how they panned to all the black actors when 3 6 was accepting the award. And those fakers didn't know whether to stand up and clap, or run out the damn auditorium. Not 1 black person stood up. Jamie pumped his fist and had a shy grin on his face. He didn't know whether to act black or not embarass himself amongst his acting peers (other white actors). Same goes for Will and Jada. Even Terrence Howard. But then you see them same folks at the Source, Vibe, and BET awards falling out the aisles celebrating. Just anotha way the white media likes putting blacks in compromising situations. Call me a conspiracist, but I'd rather be aware of conspiracy than blind to it. And big props to the homie on that Common quote, "If don't like it, I just don't like it, don't mean that I'm hatin'

members online