360 pans

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
How can i get that around the room effect, like i hear on my favorite CD [ie: frnt left > frnt rt > rt rear > left rear >frnt left and so on...

numerike

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
In cubase sx i know there is an option under Devices>Master Setup that lets you save the file for 5.1 surround sound etc. But you probably wanting it for individual audio not the entire track?

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
yes. but that's a good start thou. I use Reason, so i would need an old skool way of doin it, God? Where are you on this, or Dac? or V-Man?

light

Producer
ill o.g.
As far as i know you need a program that uses surround like that.

the only other way would be to use balance then adjust volume.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

There is a way to simulate surround using phase shifting, but I don't know enough about it to even begin telling you where to start.

In theory, stereo is only left and right, but you can do things to give sound 'depth', like having it in front of you or behind you. Someone told me that if you run a sound through a delay of 50ms, the sound will appear to be in the distance without leaving behind any noticeable echo.

Maybe if you told us which track has this effect on it, I or someone else may be able to tell you how it was done.

Take care,

Nick

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
well that's a good start for me V-Man....a lot of Techno "Trance" tracks have it....where they make the funky synth, travel around you... I'll see if i can dig up a good example of it...thanks everyone for your help...

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
There is a difference between mixing in 5.1, binaural, and spatial positioning in reference to environmental audio psychoacoustics vis-a-vis a stereo output.

First, I will talk about what I believe Freakwncy is speaking about... spatial positioning psychoacoustics through a stereo output. Then, I will discuss briefly binaural recording, and then 5.1

1. I believe Freakwncy is referring to the possibility of spatial modelling in a 360 degree plane, meaning forward, backward, etc., positioning, using not simply Doppler algorithms, but a more advanced version like this plug-in that claims it uses Hrtf to enable a person to draw in a sound position, and its time of travel along a predicated route on X, Y, Z planes:

http://www.thedirectxfiles.com/manufacturers/spinaudio_3dPanner Motion Effects.htm

That is a VST/DX plugin claiming to have the ability to what I stated through a stereo output. This method is usually most effective when utilising headphones, however, the algorithm quality of the software is dependent on the company making the product.

With a spatial positioning plugin, you can draw a travelling sound going behind your head, above you, etc.

I think the above is what Freakwncy wants, a plugin that will enable him to route audio and place it in a stereo field.

2. Binaural recording is a process of placing microphones by a dummy head of a person, where the ears would be, and having two microphones resembling two ears picking up an oscillating wave. Thus, the presence of the fake head essentially gives the listener a more "realistic" sound when the L and R signals are mixed in. This is a much more complicated process, and there are different methods of placing the microphones, and not using the dummy head, etc., but I will not get into it here. Many engineers who have mastered binaural recording cling to the secrets they know and will only do work for you if you hire them and are not present in the studio when they record. A Google search may help you find the basics.

3. 5.1 recording and mixing and mastering is a complicated process that is very involved and requires a lot of techical expertise. It is tough to properly mix and master this, and I assume that this is not necessarily what Freakwncy needs. Also a "plug-in" will not simply make a mix 5.1. It is MUCH more complicated than that. Trust me.

Sincerely,
God

Soulja

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
God, is there anything you don't know?

Bishop

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
God, is the man! Once again he knows exactly what i'm looking for and talking about, now if i could only some how get the program to run the VST/DX Plug-in in.... anyone...

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
It probably won't work with Reason, unless you slave Reason to a programme like Cubase or SONAR, since it is a VST/DX plugin.

That's the way it would work. Reason is a tremendous programme, just has some setbacks.

Sincerely,
God

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yo God - Ive been battlin with tha same issues as freak...
So iz that a sort of possible solution by slaving sonar to reason with rewire and having tha proper vst's to boot?
For tha time being, ive lately been more experimental with tha mixer and what it can soley provide on a solo level without any other software assistance. And even though i havent been able to achieve tha incredible surround sound effects that we all love...i have started to learn how to accomplish simple panning which - in your case; Freakwncy...iz what you could try in tha mean time maybe?
Ive found that by tastefully moving sounds around by panning on tha mixer you can sort of pre-simulate an effect of more stereo field, just not of tha same calliber as tha 5.1 surround.

Steeze

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
You HAVE to slave Reason to a sequencer like Cubase or Sonar, and then use the VST/DX plugins for spatial positioning.

It'll work, you just need to use another sequencer that Reason slaves off of. Reason won't do it by itself.

As for nice stereo sound, there are things called Stereo Expanders that excite midrange frequencies and do psychoacoustic processes to make the stereo field appear bigger. Most of these plugins are either VST/DX plugins and give you a wider "room" to work with. I love them, but if I apply it, I usually find myself remixing the entire track because it makes many effects, like delay, seem to be working more powerfully, etc., and corrections need to be made. However, Stereo Expanders are completely different things than 360 degree SPATIAL POSITIONING, which is what Freakwncy is talking about.

I highly suggest people don't try going into 5.1 surround, it is a really complicated process, and is not as simple as just using a plugin, etc.

Sincerely,
God