Beat This! Beat This! Competition - May 1-2, 2024

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The next competition will be from May 1-2nd! See the information below.

Signups

The signups will be on May 1st at 12pm ET/EST, and end around 8pm ET, or until we have enough contestants (whichever comes first - depending on the theme).
Voting will be for one day, on May 2nd, where the results will be posted the same day.

Check out the Beat This! ranks: https://www.illmuzik.com/beat-battles/ranks/cat/bthis/

*Note: check out this site to find out the correct time difference for your timezone:

The Signup page is here (it will open up on the signup day)

Theme: TRAP
Time Limit: 2 minutes
*Vocal Track Allowed?: NO
**Vocal Snippets Allowed?: YES

===========
* VOCAL TRACK ALLOWED? This means you can have a full vocal track with your beat (acapella, for example).
** VOCAL SNIPPETS ALLOWED? This means you can have vocal snippets in your beat (very short vocal parts, for example). This is where you can also have an intro with talking (like from a movie).
===========

Voting

If you are competing, you will be able to vote but not for yourself. DO NOT TRY TO CHEAT! I will be watching for cheaters. This means you cannot sign up under different names or get your friends and family to sign up either. If you are caught cheating you could be banned.

Voting Criteria

You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!

Beats

All the beats will now be displayed in a random order and without any names. All you will see is: Beat #001, Beat #002, etc. This is so that there is no favoritism when voting.

Rules

If you're not sure about the rules, read this thread.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

beatthis_flyer20240250102.jpg

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Dear Ann Landers,
I have concerns.
If I make a trap song, will I end up like this?
I hear that trap is a gateway genre to mumbling and becoming mentally retarded.
View attachment 7011
--- Cinderella Hopeful
Don't be stupid. Cant stand posts like this.

It will only affect you in this way if you are predisposed to it.

For normal people you will need to make lots of trap for a prolonged time and the worse that occurs is that you dye and style your pubes this way. Only non permanent localised side effects.

Educated yourself.

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
Don't be stupid. Cant stand posts like this.

It will only affect you in this way if you are predisposed to it.

For normal people you will need to make lots of trap for a prolonged time and the worse that occurs is that you dye and style your pubes this way. Only non permanent localised side effects.

Educated yourself.
If I don't have pubes yet will it grow mutlicolor then ?!?!?!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
You guys have to remember that I'm keeping a tradition going where each year we have back-to-back themes of Trap then Boom Bap. So make your Trap beat then make a Boom Bap one for the next Beat This in a few weeks.

This how I look at it, it's a challenge to go from one to the other.

Earsblower

ILLIEN
You guys have to remember that I'm keeping a tradition going where each year we have back-to-back themes of Trap then Boom Bap. So make your Trap beat then make a Boom Bap one for the next Beat This in a few weeks.

This how I look at it, it's a challenge to go from one to the other.
Then we'll know I am cursed if my Boom Bap sounds like trap :eek:

nah but making a decent trap beat is actually harder than boom bap and I'm dying on that hill. it legit took me 7 minutes to cook up a boom bap track today and it's sellable already. with trap you always gotta combine at least 3 4 of ur tricks just so you wouldn't sound bland & lame, and the process isn't that fun either. a lot of clicking, not a lot of playing, and you ALWAYS gotta be up to date. it's kinda the same situation with old/new pop. creating 80's sounding pop is so fun, it's literally a game, and you can't go wrong cuz it always sounds like ice cream. tryna create new pop tho, again, always gotta engage your tricks.

maybe we're just better at old shit who knows.

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Clearly a huge difference between Trap and Boom Bap indeed. I am happy I did cook some Trap actually cause it forces you to try a different approach on tempo, sound and mixing too. Always good to have in my very small bag.... Wait that sounds weird.

V.J. Retro

The silent beat assassin
nah but making a decent trap beat is actually harder than boom bap and I'm dying on that hill. it legit took me 7 minutes to cook up a boom bap track today and it's sellable already. with trap you always gotta combine at least 3 4 of ur tricks just so you wouldn't sound bland & lame, and the process isn't that fun either. a lot of clicking, not a lot of playing, and you ALWAYS gotta be up to date. it's kinda the same situation with old/new pop. creating 80's sounding pop is so fun, it's literally a game, and you can't go wrong cuz it always sounds like ice cream. tryna create new pop tho, again, always gotta engage your tricks.

maybe we're just better at old shit who knows.
I figured that trap would be a little easy to make since the drums and 808s have very little sound diversification compared to boom bap drums and you can just find a trap melody and install into your project easily without any changes. With Boom Bap, going through different one shots, loops, chopping and layering samples tends to be a longer and difficult process IMO.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I figured that trap would be a little easy to make since the drums and 808s have very little sound diversification compared to boom bap drums and you can just find a trap melody and install into your project easily without any changes. With Boom Bap, going through different one shots, loops, chopping and layering samples tends to be a longer and difficult process IMO.
Can argue that both are pretty straight forward.

Variety of 808 kicks and basses. Tbf.

Simple half time drum pattern,
Hi hat rolls, pitch them for extra gen z
Randomly detuned melody on loop
808 basses or slides

Job done.

Boombippetybap
Simple swung drum pattern
Throw a sample over it, chop for extra backpack
Add a bass
Done

Bap can definitely get hard depending on what sample you want to chop and how much you're trying to do. But can also be easily bastardized.

Mixing the 808 right in trap can be difficult.

Can argue that both are pretty straight forward.

Variety of 808 kicks and basses. Tbf.

Simple half time drum pattern,
Hi hat rolls, pitch them for extra gen z
Randomly detuned melody on loop
808 basses or slides

Job done.

Boombippetybap
Simple swung drum pattern
Throw a sample over it, chop for extra backpack
Add a bass
Done

Bap can definitely get hard depending on what sample you want to chop and how much you're trying to do. But can also be easily bastardized.

Mixing the 808 right in trap can be difficult.
That time i specialize in trap and i did some stupid beat for this one. Just 0 motivation. I made three of them and chose the less sucky one. Trap is hard to make if you doing it from scratch. 808s jusgt stupid hard to get the timing right with bounce. ay.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
That time i specialize in trap and i did some stupid beat for this one. Just 0 motivation. I made three of them and chose the less sucky one. Trap is hard to make if you doing it from scratch. 808s jusgt stupid hard to get the timing right with bounce. ay.
I hate when you hear the bounce in your head and play it or prog it, and it just don't sound the same. That shit pisses me off