Tutorials 5 Tips For Having A Productive Session In A Recording Studio

recordingstudio.jpg

The time may come one day when you will want to record your music in a professional recording studio. Making beats and recording an artist at home is all well and good, but at one point or another, you will want to take things to another level.

When recording in a professional studio, there are some things you must be aware of so you can have a productive session. Here are five tips to do so.

1. Be Well Rested Because You Will Need Your Ears

I was once told “you want this life, but you don’t want this life”, referring to being a music producer and working in a studio. What most people don’t realize is that in order to be successful, you have to put in tons of work, and that includes spending very long hours in the studio going over every single musical note until it’s perfected.

For some, they have no problem with this but it’s still tiring for anyone. I once knew an audio engineer that had graduated from Full Sail University and he landed a nice gig at a studio in New York. At first he was freaked out because he was actually working in a studio, recording artists every single day.

But then reality quickly set in.

After a while he had a lot of work to do. On one hand, it’s good because he was in high demand, and that’s because he was really good at his work. On the other hand, it required him to be in the studio for days at a time. No, literally. He would sometimes stay at the studio for two or three days straight, just taking breaks periodically so he wouldn’t fall down with a brain aneurysm.

So when you’re getting set to hit the studio, make sure you are very well rested because you don’t know how long you will be in there recording. Plus, your ears are very precious so make sure you take care of them by taking breaks.

2. Know What You Want To Do For That Session

Believe it or not, some people book a recording studio and when they get there they don’t have a clue of what they want to do. I mean, they know they have to record their song, but either they’re rookies, or incredibly clueless as to what goes on in a studio environment.

If you’re going to a studio, the first thing is that you will be spending money to rent the space. So with that in mind, why waste time? It’s not just about loading up your tracks in Pro Tools and then getting into the booth (or your artist in the booth). You have to first be prepared, and that includes working with the studio to make sure they have the right setup for you. You need to find out what kind of systems they have and how quickly you can be up and running once you get there.

Remember, time is money.

You also don’t know if you’re going to require the studio for a longer period, so it’s best to ask the studio what their policy is for renting extra hours. The last thing you want is to be in a zone with your music then all of a sudden your time is up and you’re asked to leave.

3. Keep The Noise Out

If I’ve learned anything from Rap videos, it’s that there’s just too many people in the studio. I know it also happens in real life, and it’s completely ridiculous. Whenever you’re in the studio, the last thing anyone needs is distractions. If you want to bring your friends and let them hang out – don’t. The studio is a place where you need to get work done.

Also, time is money!

Don’t do like some Rap video and have a crew of twenty people in there, including a bunch of strippers, while your boys toss wads of singles in the air because they’re loving your beat. You must remember that the recording engineer has a job to do too, and I don’t think he appreciates having to work around that kind of mess.

Besides the people hanging around for no reason, you need to also get rid of the gadgets. Basically, when you’re in the studio, just get some work done without any sort of distractions.

Let’s say you’re sitting there behind the boards with the engineer and you have an artist in the booth. I don’t think they’ll take too kindly to you sitting there texting while they’re trying to record their verse. Focus on the music, that’s it.

4. Do Whatever It Takes To Be Comfortable

A long time ago, one of the first things I was told about working in a recording studio was to do whatever it takes to make the artist or yourself, comfortable.

This can mean a lot of things. As I just mentioned, your artist might want to bring their whole crew up into the studio. Now that might make them comfortable, but it’s also a major distraction, so don’t allow it.

However, being comfortable to an artist (or yourself) can vary. Drugs? Alcohol? These are things that will probably come into play so you need to make sure everyone is comfortable, but within reason.

cocaine.jpg

If your artist decides to smash his face into a big pile of cocaine like Tony Montana, then it’s time to end the session. But if it’s just a matter of him loosening up with something much tamer, let it be.

As long as everyone is comfortable, then it will help everyone get their work done.

5. Work Hard

This is where it can be difficult for a lot of people to understand. Recording your music in the studio is work, no matter how you look at it. Whether music is your hobby or your passion, when you hit the studio, it’s time to leave everything else at the door and focus just on the music.

When you’re recording at home, things are very different from a professional environment, and it’s too easy to get off track and take breaks or play around. However, in a real studio, there’s no time to play games.

The sooner you get your work done, the sooner you can be gone from the studio.

Remember, time is money!

Resources For Working In A Recording Studio

Last edited:

members online