Interviews 5th Sequence

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
5th Sequence recently won our Beat This! Competition, kicking off 2008 with his first ever win. A member since 2005, 5th is a regular here at IllMuzik, and we finally got the chance to ask him about his beats, and of course his Beat This! win.

5thsequence1.jpg

Sup 5th, tell everyone who you are.

What's up, I'm 5th Sequence. Basically, I'm one of the biggest fans of hip hop you'll ever meet. All aspects of it, I embrace it all and let it inspire me. I'm a hip hop producer (not just beatmaker) and do a little bit of everything. I still graff, bboy and DJ. I've been rapping since I started producing as well. I'm also pretty deep into the social and cultural issues in hip hop and I would definitely say I'm trying to be progressive with everything I try to do.

When did you first start making beats?

I first started making beats when I was 10 or 11 (I'm 20 now). It all started at a friend's house with some demo version of Hip Hop Ejay we were messing with. It was something so new and unique, it was the greatest feeling ever playing back and hearing what we made. Ever since then I just wanted more control over the sounds to see where I could take things. It's been a large part of my life because I was so engrossed and fascinated with making music that I pursued it aggressively at a young age.

What was your first piece of gear?

My very first piece of gear was a DR 202 Dr. Groove drum machine. That thing was the shit!! Although I honestly didn't make anything worth even recording out of that thing it was the learning experience itself that was still valuable. Even though I had the DR 202 I was using Fruity Loops once I was 12 or 13 and have been using it along side all of the different hardware setups I've had. (I've had a full hardware setup with an MPC 2000XL, MP-7 command station and MIDI keyboard).

5thsequence2.jpg

What made you want to make music?

I have no idea. I guess I'd say I loved listening to music and I always appreciated a really good beat. Whether it was Jazz, Funk, Soul, Hip Hop or whatever, I liked the beats that commanded your attention and forced your interest into listening to all of the elements that made the track sound complete. I liked having control of those sounds and making the "vibe" of the track sound a specific way. It's always been a good outlet for me personally, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that it's a healthy way to vent your daily stress and convey your personal expression all in one go. You can't beat that.

Who/What are some of your musical influences?

Damn.. I've been influenced by so much. Jazz in general is my biggest influence, I grew up listening to it and I still listen to it regularly. One of the illest cats I've ever heard is still Paul Hardcastle. As far as hip hop production is concerned though, I'd go with Pete Rock, DJ Premier, DJ Honda, Peanut Butter Wolf, Madlib, Dilla, 20syl, Melomaniac, DJ Incise, Illmind, Jazz Liberators and countless other people.

Are you skilled in other forms of Hip-Hop?

Yeah I've kinda been through phases where I'll get really into a certain element of hip hop and focus on that until something else catches my interest. I always bounce around from one thing to the next (but within the means of the different hip hop elements). I don't graff or breakdance as much as I used to but I definitely used to go out and tag pieces and I've battled in a few bboy events. I'm definitely not done with those aspects either, I'm sure I'll end up returning to them at some other point in life. I'm a "DJ in training" at the moment but I'm not really trying to be a club DJ. I love playing dope music for people and playing "the right music" to set the vibe at parties but I don't see myself trying to spin like that. I'm more interested in learning to scratch so I can cut my own choruses and just have that dope hip hop element at my disposal for my tracks.

Are you looking to DJ just for the scratching and parties, or do you think you could take that to a whole new level?

I would love to take it to a new level. My DJ friend DJ Fonik always comes over with Serato and we'll scratch out dope ideas and whatnot, I love that turntablism aspect in music. That's why I'm a DJ in training trying to learn the tricks of the trade, but I haven't had the the time that is required in terms of dedication and practicing to really get good with anything. Hopefully I'll find more time in the next few years to get deeper into this part of the art.

Describe your music.

I like to think of my music as the soundtrack for a hip hop head's life. I'm a very positive person and I want to bring that out in my music. I want my music to be progressive and to inspire people (not just musicians) to a level of better understanding because I really don't relate to a majority of the stuff I hear coming out. I want to see change, we need that change and I want my music to be a part of that change.

If you could only have one piece of gear, what would it be, and why?

Fruity Loops. Everything I'm doing now is done with Fruity Loops so it really wouldn't be any different. Although if you wanna get technical I'd be fucked without turntables, a constant rotation of vinyl and a digital mixer to record my samples into my computer so.... haha don't get technical, we'll leave it at Fruity Loops.

Ahh but you would need a computer to run Fruity Loops! So what kind of computer would that be?

It'd be a good computer specifically built to handle the demanding applications of music production. The one I'll be ordering (upgrading my system) in the next month or two will have 4GB of DDR RAM, a 750GB hard drive, backup hard drive, dual monitors and will be much quieter than the one I have currently.

Have you collaborated with other members of IllMuzik? If so, on what?

You know, I haven't. I talk with a few cats from the site regularly though but no official collaborations yet. To be honest it's not even that I don't want to work with people, I'm so strapped for time it's hectic (it took me this long to get back to you on the interview!!).

Do you have an idea of who you WOULD work with from IllMuzik?

If I really thought about it I know there would be a handful of people I'd want to work with. I don't really collaborate with other producers (minus my Soul Circle Crew I guess) mainly because I like having the creative control to take a project in whatever direction I feel sounds the best. Not just that though, I don't make as many beats as I used to so I have less beats laying around that I can just throw up for a collaboration. Almost any beat I make that is worth being shown to the world by my standards will usually have a project that it's going towards before it's even completed. This used to not be the case but I'm at a really busy point in my life with a lot of things going on. Off the top though, I'd see what's up with Truestatiks, Producer Gyal, Tactic, Grafik, Spanish Harlem, Stresswon and Agent Smith if I had a free moment to breath. And that list feels very incomplete so excuse me if you know you should be on my list.

What big-name producer would you want to work with? And why?

I would like to sit in on a session with Pete Rock. Considering how much Pete Rock I've bumped in my lifetime and how much of his music I've been inspired by, it'd be off the hook to see the master at work. I'd ask him a million questions about his mixing (or ask about his mixing engineers) to learn as much as I possibly could. Pete Rock is the shit!

5thsequence3.jpg

How does it feel to win the Beat This! Competition?

It feels great, not gonna lie. It's not even that the Beat This! or Battle That! battles define you as a producer by any means other than your own. Nobody needs confirmation from anyone else here, it's just cool to hear and showcase all of the dope beats from all the talent on the site. With that said though, it's still cool to win one. Personally, I feel the positive feedback gained from everyone's listens are worth more to me than the winning title itself is. Overall, it was a really dope experience though!!

How did you put together the winning beat?

The beat is fairly recent, it was probably made a few months ago and it's been chillin in the vaults for an album I'm producing a few joints on (L Pro's 2008 release called Vertigo). His rhymes have already been recorded over it (which are hella dope by the way), but I modified the beat a little so it'd fit better in the competition. Instead of doing just 16 bars of "lyric section" for the beat I extended that to 24 bars so I could include the more intricate change ups within the 2 minute time frame instead of them being spaced out between 3 different 16 bar lyric sections as it normally would be.

What's better - 16-bit or 24-bit?

24bit is definitely better. The greater the bit rate the more times per second the audio recorder can capture what's really there. I'm only working in 16bit right now. Sometimes 12bit if I'm using my sampler for whatever reason but mainly 16bit.

What's the hardest part for you when making a beat?

The hardest part in making a beat is being confident in the direction I decided to go with it. That's why I save multiple versions of my beats while I'm in the creation process (or I'll make a grip of different patterns for different ideas and possibilities I can go back to). It's all about experimentation, and I like to "go with the flow" as far as what ideas I have at the moment. I might have several ideas and I basically lay them down as quickly as possible and make a few different versions to see how it sounds before one really sinks in and I can settle into it.

How do you usually create your music? Give us some insight into how you structure it.

All songs start with the sample first. It starts with the vinyl and just listening. Once I hear what I like I'll record it in and load up in FL and throw some rough ideas around. I like to pitch shift the sample up and down in all directions, apply filters, compression, EQ and whatever other effect I feel is necessarily at the moment to really explore what I can do with that sound. Something usually clicks and sounds unique, that's what I'll try to accent on and build off of. Then I'll go about constructing a drum kit that fits the vibe. I'll listen to a lot of drum breaks and individual kicks and pick out what I like (a kick here, a snare here, a high hat there, whatever).

I'll do this and piece together a drum kit and then go about making a drum pattern that fits whatever I'm doing with the sample. I like to mix as a I go so I'll pay special attention to making the drums as thick as possible. Then it's about finding the right sounds to add in next but more importantly, putting them into the beat where they fit with their own character and don't clutter things too much. I like to build suspense and have a defined build up and release of "energy" in the track so transitions and drop outs are key. Once I get the main groove laid down, it'll usually hang around for a few days as I add things here and there and finally makes its way around to being complete. This includes a lot of listening and a ton of going back and fine tuning adjustments. That's a simple run down of how I like to approach things, there is a lot more to it than that but that's the gist of my process.

Do you have any advice for someone trying to take it to the next level?

Yeah, I do actually. If you're serious about taking things to the next level then don't sit back and expect things to happen. That will get you nowhere. You have to be proactive about getting things done and staying dedicated to what you do even when it feels like nothing at all is going on. No one's buying your beats? You better be logging hella hours in the lab making new ones, studying mixing techniques or perfecting some other skill. If you're serious about hip hop production, why not buy some books on mixing? There is always room for improvement so you might as well let that be your main focus while you have downtime in between making beats. I'm confident that anyone can take themselves to a new level. What separates the people who progress to that next level and those who remain on the same level is work ethic. It's not about being born with a "dope ear" for music and it all coming naturally for you and life is gravy. The harder you work, the easier things will become and the better your music will be. You can develop a good ear and you can make a good ear better.

Any shoutouts you'd like to give?

Most definitely. I'd like to give a shout out to my other Soul Circle crew members, DJ Fonik and Optix. Stay tuned for what's coming up. I'd also like to shout out L Pro for recording his album with me and us both inspiring off each other resulting in some phenomenal music. And of course, to all the IllMuzik family and extended family I don't talk to much, I see you all!! Much respect, and thanks for the interview, Fade. Peace!!

members online