$700...what to do?

BobCarter

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just sold a Fender amp i had for $700 and I'm trying to figure out what to spend my money on. Out of the following, which should I get?:

(Right now I'm not using monitors or any mics just an Axiom 25)

Should I get..:

- A pair of monitors
- A new keyboard (I have the Axiom 25)
- An MPC off of eBay
- An MBOX or some kind of midi box thingy

Or should I just keep saving my money..?

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
what are you currently doing, and what are your future plans.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Depends on what you're looking to do. If you're just looking to spend money and get gear that you don't necessarily need, then I would say save the $700.

Or give it to me!

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I just sold a Fender amp i had for $700 and I'm trying to figure out what to spend my money on. Out of the following, which should I get?:

(Right now I'm not using monitors or any mics just an Axiom 25)

Should I get..:

- A pair of monitors
- A new keyboard (I have the Axiom 25)
- An MPC off of eBay
- An MBOX or some kind of midi box thingy

Or should I just keep saving my money..?

Buy:

Ill4life account
Can you play piano? If yes then get more keys.
Do you use Computer DAWS?
Save.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
that all depends on ya situation. Are u workin? if not, save that shit. If so, I would definitly go wit monitors. Instead of an MPC, I would go with an MPD and a good program like Reason/FL studio,,etc. Use the keys u have. I needa new set of keys, but the midi joints I have do the job for now. Be cheap..lol.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Word...get some monitors...MPD...and download all the programs you need off the net....who cares if you didn't buy them?

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
akai mpk49, then u've killed 2 birds with one stone and still have $300

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
True - More details as to what your aspirations are for future musical endeavors would be helpful in order to provide the best advice.....

But I quadruple that - cop some monitors. Your gonna need some good ones regardless of what kind of way you work, ie. outboard or in the box.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If the speakers you're working with a cool, I'd say get an audio interface first. You can cop some monitors while you're at it too, BUT I personally would go for the interface and save the rest of what I can.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Word, I agree...Lion has a good point too tho - the monitors and the soundcard sorta go hand-in-hand really cuz both are just as critical to your setup. More so if your trying to work on music in the box, but even if your outboard - you gotta get your music into the computer somehow eventually and the odds are your not gonna be mixing on a neve.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^ you need I/O also when you use a neve :)

but still, go monitors, you can get the sound right on a shitty 44/16 bit daw when you got monitors and 700 bucks gives you a nice buy onto some good quality nearfields. Nearfields are your best friends.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I can do a good mix on headphones....If I sit there and actually work it...I can do it....but it's because I've only worked with headphones....and trained my ear to hear certain things...I have my reasons to why I don't own a pair of monitors yet........ But I would go with the monitors....They are the most important part of your setup.....You definitely need to hear what you're creating, because the quality of the sound is just as important as the trackitself.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
until the op comes back and gives more details about what the goal is and what they're currently using (computer, daw, soundcard), it's all moot.

by the way, there's nothing stopping the op from getting a soundcard and a decent set of monitors with that $700, if that was what they needed, especially if it's used gear (a studio, home studio, and hobbyists best friend) or looking for deals and overstocks.

dj ShorTbuS

Cold Get Retarded
ill o.g.
Today is your lucky day. I have an MPC 2000xl Studio Plus edition for sale. It has all the upgrades such as 8 outs, scsi, smpte, fx card, max ram etc. Original packaging, power cord, owners manual, bundle of 8 RCA's and a scsi cable included. I think you should skip ebay and buy this one with your $700 dollars.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
thinking about selling mine (mpc2000studio edition)as well.
anybody have any mpc3000 parts, or technic 1200 parts?