8 gigs of ram BAH HUM BUG !!!!

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I bought 8 gigs of ram and come to find out windows xp 32 bit dont recognize more then 3 gigs ..... WTF !!!! ........ So my question is does any 1 have windows xp 64 bit and can tell me if i buy it will some programs not work on it ...... Like pro tools, photoshop, illustrator, sound forge, flash, dreamweaver, cool 3d, nero, 3dmax, and blah blah blah and so forth and so on ..... Any knowledge on this would be gr8 ............... THX !!!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ya that's the deal with 32 bit, even Vista. I tried Vista 64 and it recognized it but I didn't try XP 64. Do a search on Google for programs compatible with XP 64 because when I had the Vista 64 there were a few programs that didn't work properly or wouldn't even install! So just be careful.

T

The Arkitekt

I think everything works on it, just not natively, meaning it will just run in 32 bit. But ive heard PT has some compatibility problems with 64 bit windows

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I saw something similar to this happen with actual hard drives. Can't remember exactly but I think it was XP doesn't recognize an internal 500 Gig hard drive?

Something like that. My buddy was trying to build another PC and he bought a 250 gig and a 500 gig internal sata. Then he realized that for the same amount of money he could have two 500 gig drives. When tried to install the drive, the OS wouldn't see it and then he remembered why he was doing a 250/500 setup.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Have you checked whether your motherboard can even handle 8 Gigs of RAM. Upgrading to a 64 bit OS won't help if it doesn't support the RAM.

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
ya it does cause its all in right now and the board recognizes the 4 2 gig chips ...... I found a buddy whos gonna buy them off me tomorrow so i guess ill stick with 3 gigs ..... dammmmit i wanted to fly like an eagle .... lol ...... thx for all the help people ...... good looking out

I saw something similar to this happen with actual hard drives. Can't remember exactly but I think it was XP doesn't recognize an internal 500 Gig hard drive?

Something like that. My buddy was trying to build another PC and he bought a 250 gig and a 500 gig internal sata. Then he realized that for the same amount of money he could have two 500 gig drives. When tried to install the drive, the OS wouldn't see it and then he remembered why he was doing a 250/500 setup.

I have 5 physical hard drives inside my pc, the only problems I had was with the sata drives being recognized.
After installing extra sata and raid drivers it works fine. I have over 1.5 tb of hard disk space and no problems in xp 32bit.
And yes as pointed out, the best bet for more than 3gig ram is Vista 64bit, but that also has its downsides.
My system is dual boot xp32 bit and vista 64bit. there are issues with vista 64 and unsigned drivers, vista 64 doesnt let you install third party drivers unless they have been qualified by microsoft.
The best answer is have your ram installed, and have a dual boot system.
Xp for compatibility, and vista for gaming/ram intensive programs.
Slowely but surely updates are being released for vista 64, so until the relevant updates come out for it, just use xp.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
On a side note, I had a problem when trying to install Vista or XP. I finally figured out that for some reason Windows doesn't like to install on a partition bigger than 137GB! So just to be sure, I made the partition at 120 and it was fine. :)

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
I bought 8 gigs of ram and come to find out windows xp 32 bit dont recognize more then 3 gigs ..... WTF !!!! ........ So my question is does any 1 have windows xp 64 bit and can tell me if i buy it will some programs not work on it ...... Like pro tools, photoshop, illustrator, sound forge, flash, dreamweaver, cool 3d, nero, 3dmax, and blah blah blah and so forth and so on ..... Any knowledge on this would be gr8 ............... THX !!!

ask Clev he just copped vista 64 i think and is running 12 gigs of ram

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
ya it does cause its all in right now and the board recognizes the 4 2 gig chips ...... I found a buddy whos gonna buy them off me tomorrow so i guess ill stick with 3 gigs ..... dammmmit i wanted to fly like an eagle .... lol ...... thx for all the help people ...... good looking out

there is a reg. change that can allow you to make windows 32 xp see your 4 gigs. ill look to see if i can find it.

here you go: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1571217

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
the 3 gb switch is mainly for server level systems and most of those that do it (non server) or tried either never experienced any real significant results and/or are hindered the performance. many have jumped on it without knowing what the sacrifice is, especially without the right system (laa and such), or realize that many apps still wont access beyond if it's a 32 bit app. increasing the virtual memory by 1.5 x the physical ram is more than efficient.