9th Wonder beat me to it...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Yeh man, here goes the thing i mean i don't mean to harp on this, its not what you sample, cause anyone can go find a record to begin with and if you dont do nothing but put it on your album to me thats nothing, it's when you flip it where the producer in hip hop needs to get props I refuse to ever give props to someone that just goes get the cut and then put 2 drums on it...thats just me...nothing artistic about finding a song thats pretty much dope in it's own right....go a few steps further and then you start to put YOUR stamp on that shit....feel me??? now I don't recognize the sample right off but did the vocal cuts go like that on the original or is it complete coincidence the way 9th did it??? cause if not I would say someone jacked someone on that joint.....you jacked 9th or he cold jacked your complete concept almost to a tee...

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeh man, here goes the thing i mean i don't mean to harp on this, its not what you sample, cause anyone can go find a record to begin with and if you dont do nothing but put it on your album to me thats nothing, it's when you flip it where the producer in hip hop needs to get props I refuse to ever give props to someone that just goes get the cut and then put 2 drums on it...thats just me...nothing artistic about finding a song thats pretty much dope in it's own right....go a few steps further and then you start to put YOUR stamp on that shit....feel me???
i differ in opinoin just to say that if you cross a sample that's just magic as it is, roll wit it, especially if it's something rare, or sum'n that, to your knowledge, isn't popular. i have a sample now, where someone else used another part of the original record, i just happened to go back and found another dope piece that's just funky as it is. there some joints out there where you just got to let the loop ride.

now I don't recognize the sample right off but did the vocal cuts go like that on the original or is it complete coincidence the way 9th did it??? cause if not I would say someone jacked someone on that joint.....you jacked 9th or he cold jacked your complete concept almost to a tee...
naw the vocal are cut like that on the original, we both chopped the vocals, you hear more of the original vocal on mine. i can say with the utmost sincerity, I didn't jack 9th. i doubt that he jacked me, my version of that joint is well over a year old, i didn't put out until earlier this year (beat snippet on my myspace). i'm not making any accusations. hell, madlib used a sample that i've used, for a dudley perkins record. again i've never put it out so he didn't jack me. i don't take other cats samples and just duplicate it, if anything, i'll hear sum'n different and go at it in a different angle (thus choppin it). No I.D. (who i believe had it first, i just didn't know) had a sample, and i discovered i flipped it in a similar fashion as he did (it was a small piece, there wasn't a variety of approaches to it)..so i went back and tweaked mine just so there's a clear distinction between the two. a funny examble, when i was in the very beginning stages of making beats...actually i was just able to loop, no drums.. i loop the same marvin gaye cut that g-unit for "i wanna get to know you"..we're talkin several years apart(it's on a beat cassette that i still have), and a sample that was just magic as a loop. sometimes it just works, that's my 2 cents on it.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
I agree with trez. Sometimes you can find samples that just sound right, and you don't need to do much to change them. Most of the time if I find a sample thats dope as it is, I will find something to go with it, or add some different sounds to make up a completely different melody. Even if you just loop a dope sample and add some drums, isn't that how hip hop started out? It was the DJs looping the breaks of the songs.

Also, I know that trez didn't do any beat jacking. I heard that beat on his myspace a while ago (I would have to say sometime around the beginning of the summer). Besides, he changed his up after the first 30 seconds anyway so it sounds different then 9th's.

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I agree with trez. Sometimes you can find samples that just sound right, and you don't need to do much to change them. Most of the time if I find a sample thats dope as it is, I will find something to go with it, or add some different sounds to make up a completely different melody. Even if you just loop a dope sample and add some drums, isn't that how hip hop started out? It was the DJs looping the breaks of the songs.

definitely!

isn't this how the Trackmasters made their careers? basically looped eighties r&b/pop joints and made them even more timeless.

P

PRohDusah

heck if you sample its going to happen. how you flip it makes the difference. especially for those that look at the artist that others sample from then go get those lps.

T

TheMost

It i what it is, if you can remake something realy dope buy not doing too much then all power to you. If you can flip by way that no one reconises it then you will get big props. I play guitar and its way more satisfying as a musician to write sometihng of my own or flip a sampple and create something of my own, but like i said at the begining all power to u if its nice and simple.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
The only people that even make an argument about this subject are other producers, a segment of the population that you're not trying to sell to anyway.

If the shit is hot it's hot! It doesn't matter how many times it's been flip'd or loop'd. If you can take it and put your own spin to it I don't have an issue with it, and neither should anybody else IMO. Similar to what manguino said, it's what the whole art form was founded on. Only conceded producers who think they're more "holly than thou" beef about if someone flip'd a sample that they think the found first. Claiming for yourself what somebody else originally created in the first place is like what that famous member around here says when shit is whack

*****DEAD***** lmbao

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
word. i'm not trippin about it at all, i'm aware that it happens, and has happened and will continue to happen. no gripes from me. matter fact, i find it's kinda cool when a dope artist finds a sample that you've used, or you use a sample, not a popular one either, and discover someone, a highly reputable producer, has used. just knowing that someone caught what you caught and heard what you heard (you would assume they felt what you felt when you first heard it) and yet put it together in it's own way. i love it. can't deny it.

paradigmshifter

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Sonic Architect

I don't see the problem with sampling other people's work, as long as you are not just dumping a loop over some drums... I really don't see any artistic or production value on that!!!
On the other hand, taking a song and chopping drums, bass lines, riffs, etc thus creating a completely new track is definitely an art that requires both skills and knowledge...
I've sampled some old songs before, but the resulting sound is nowhere near the original track.
Personally I enjoy writing and programming my own stuff, just because it is a lot more rewarding as an artist to work on your very own creations...
To a certain extent (technically speaking), everyone that is producing with a DAW (Reason, FL Studio, Logic, etc) is sampling because the "one-shot" sounds (ie. Drum sounds) that come with those DAWs were recorded, chopped and prepped by the engineers & programmers that put the software together...

...Producers do own loops... almost every DAW out there comes with a shit load of loops... whether they use them or not is a different story...

Peace.
www.myspace.com/sonicparadigmshift