9th Wonder Comments On Jay Dee

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Taken from a thread posted on Okayplayer.com by 9th Wonder from Little Brother:

"check it, on some real shit, for hip-hop production as we know it, everybody samples, but damn, for cats who sample, Jay-Dee is THE #1 reason why I spend an extra THIRTY MINUTES on drum selection after the sample is done. I learned chops from Preem, basslines anmd filters from Pete, voice sample usage from the RZA, but that drum shit and bringing the sample, bass, and voices to life, ALL JAY. Oh yeah, all these cats with offbeat drums, and crazy filters, Jay is the pioneer of that shit. While we were saying "damn, and "shit" and "what the fuck" to Pete and Preems beats in amazement, Jay's production is the first shit I've ever said "ooooooh" to. The second is the mighty Nicolay. This muthafucka is dope as fuck, best believe it. His beats will really put you in place.

So, we can safely say that Jay is on the Mount Olympus of beatmakers with Pete, Preem, Rza, and Dre. Don't be fooled by the so-called "new jay". That fucka probably still got oohgobs of "old jay" beats just chillin in the cut, waitin for a muthafucka to slip. Like it or don't like. It's the damn truth. Shit, I bumped Fantastic vol. 2 like it was Midnight Marauders reincarnated, and that album is over 90% DILLA lets not forget"

Deca

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well thats pretty much what i think too. jay Dilla makes it happened. made me sad when he left slum.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Slum Village, Pharcyde....Jay Dee made a sound for himself......and he made a lot of really good sounding hip hop back then that helped define and set bars and he still doing it big ups to Jdilla.....he is overlooked a lot its good to see that 9th Studies well that is some good stuff right there....

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
jay dee is king... i thought vol 2. was 100% jay dee beats... anyone know which beat aint...

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
I have always known this cat has skills he shyt on Busta's albums i s always fire too....VOl 2 is definitly sum of Jay Dee's best prodution.......Its the only Slum village album i have

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
man go back and do your research you gonna get treated when you do.....a friend of mine came thru last week he was like you remember that song...can't keep running away...I was like hell yeah...then I was like Jaydee did that.........he was like naw man....that ain't who did that song...LOL anyhow Pharcyde did it but Jaydee was the man that put it together.......Don't kill me Fade but this is a good interview....OLD.....but pretty good for ya'll
http://www.metrotimes.com/19/35/Features/artSonic.htm

Jaydee is the man....

Mr Keyes

ill o.g.
yo bigd I heard it was the other way round with runnin. Jay Dee done the beat originally with some mad drum pattern pharcyde thought it would b to hard rhyme to it the way it was, so they looped it to simplfy the beat.

But Jay Dee is the man. He got too many styles, tracks to mention.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
Gotta respect 9th Wonder and his comment. He knows where he came from.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I agree with what 9th is saying dilla is one of my top 5 producers of all time, but honestly 9th drum programming dont really do justice to dilla legacy.

9th drums dont move like dilla's shit

gram green said:
jay dee is king... i thought vol 2. was 100% jay dee beats... anyone know which beat aint...

the only beat on volume 2 not done by dilla was a was the Pete Rock track "play this only at night"

which was also sick pete's bass on that is stupid, daamm them niggas got the illest bass

dilla, pete rock, kev brown

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
If you want basic patterns you can emulate that close with software..but for realistic flowing drums that you doubling up on etc its hard to do....but for the most part the realness of the sp and the MPC always will outmove the note accuracy of the timing on that soft gear thats why you notice the stiffness...that translates into real swing not just that lil setting that says swing LOL....thats the reason, I bet you 9th is working out on a piece of gear about now....but yeah Jdillas patterns got that feel...drums are the core......and you right I been listening to Kev and lo budget crew when he was just a local producer here in the DC area for a minute and I might have the chance to work with him, I know Cy Young his mc and be on the lookout for him too he is a real MC and he said he would get on one of my joints, he's shooting a video right now to one of Kev's joints but the first thing about Kev is his use of the bass is sick all of his beats are pure hip hop too I heard a beat playing on the radio the other day and instantly in the first 8 seconds I was like that sounds like Kev Brown and then they were like Lo Budget crew and Kev Brown but there will be a lot of cats tryna make their beats like he does now......but he borrowed that from the likes of Pete and Mos Def but he put his signature on it.....
JPeg said:
I agree with what 9th is saying dilla is one of my top 5 producers of all time, but honestly 9th drum programming dont really do justice to dilla legacy.

9th drums dont move like dilla's shit

the only beat on volume 2 not done by dilla was a was the Pete Rock track "play this only at night"

which was also sick pete's bass on that is stupid, daamm them niggas got the illest bass

dilla, pete rock, kev brown

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Jay Dee did a remix of Runnin, blue label record, also had a Beatmizerz remix of Drop. Plus a super ill bonus track "Why?". Jay Dee production, and a super sick intro for juggling, dope dope dope

Obsidian Blue

Igneous
ill o.g.
ualreadyknoo said:
pardon me...but which jay dee r yall taling bout...Jermaine Dupri???

Man I HATE it when heads ask that question...no offence to you fella.

Dilla's been at this for awhile and people still don't know who he is, despite his contributions to hip hop. It's just a shame.....