A beat – what's it to you?

'sup?

I was just thinking about something that I've actually been thinking about for some time now: What do you actually mean when you talk about beats? Like, if you have a friend over and she/he asks you what you've been up to lately and you answer "I just finished a pile of new beats". Then, what's that pile made out of? Is it full blown three and a half minute songs (maybe even mixed and mastered and ready to drop like a hot bomb)? Is it like one verse, one chorus and one bridge still sitting inside your MPC? Is it just a four bar loop consisting of a drum break and a freshly flipped sample? Or something totally different? Do you even think in terms of verses, choruses etc?

I sometimes hear people talk in terms of "I usually spend like fifteen minutes on a beat – then I'm bored". And I don't know if I'm like the slowest person on the planet – but if I'm going to make like a full song I'm sure as hell gonna need some more time. Not that it matters really, we've all got our own BPM of the shit we do, but still. I just find it interesting to hear what you think – and also, it'll get easier talking to other beat makers/producers/whaddevs if we all mean the same thing, y'know.

So, what do you actually mean when you say "here's my new beat"?

Now that Im working with artists I find that going all out on a full blown beat is a waste of time, unless Im specifically making an instrumental.
When making "template" beats for artists I try not to over do it, and leave room for inspiration from the vocals once they are laid out. If I can play a 16 - 24 bar loop consistently for a couple hours without getting bored then I know Im onto something. If I get bored very quickly its time to start afresh, and smoke a fat one.
I give all my beats the time test, just playing it on loop for a long time. If it doesnt pass, then adios.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
^^ This! 2good nailed it. I dont make "beats" any more. I make SONGS. Pretty much all the music I make these days written for a specific artist I am working with or an artist takes them within a few days. The vocals are the #1 most important part of the track, so as music creators we need to create with that in mind and leave plenty of room for the artist to make the track their own.

Now that Im working with artists I find that going all out on a full blown beat is a waste of time, unless Im specifically making an instrumental.
When making "template" beats for artists I try not to over do it, and leave room for inspiration from the vocals once they are laid out. If I can play a 16 - 24 bar loop consistently for a couple hours without getting bored then I know Im onto something. If I get bored very quickly its time to start afresh, and smoke a fat one.
I give all my beats the time test, just playing it on loop for a long time. If it doesnt pass, then adios.

Thai's just totally great advice! Thanks!

^^ This! 2good nailed it. I dont make "beats" any more. I make SONGS. Pretty much all the music I make these days written for a specific artist I am working with or an artist takes them within a few days. The vocals are the #1 most important part of the track, so as music creators we need to create with that in mind and leave plenty of room for the artist to make the track their own.

True. Damn true.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yeah...you don't want to put a whole track together at first, unless you're writing to your own shit.

I don't really do music for vocals, anymore......House music ftw.

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
Battle Points: 8
Since I'm a sample-based beat maker, it depends on the sample I flip. Sometimes, I'll flip a sample and do an intro, followed by a 24 bar sequence. That usually ends up being less than 2 min, and just keep it that way. Other times, I'll sequence an entire song because I have enough samples to transition from verses to hooks, etc.

A beat is a composition to me. Even though some folks call sampling plagerism, I still feel the process of composing a beat takes work. I can't just slop all the elements together at the same time...that doesn't work for me. I like to build my beats, and surprise the listener.

Tylias

@thedreampolice I agree. There is somewhat of a distinguishment between "beats" and songs. I make songs aswell, not beats. Beats are those things people sell on the internet to rappers who wanna "make it in the game". Songs are well... songs... that are ya know.... produced.
so I do think you are on to something with saying that, and i agree.