A beginner's question (or questions) about music theory

Audiobellum

Beatmaker
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and since this is the music section, I think it's appropriate to post this thread here. I don't know if it's okay to ask a question about basic music theory concepts; if it isn't, I apologize in advance. It's just that there has been an issue that has been bugging me and I didn't know where else to go. I've been teaching myself music in my free time every since the beginning of this year and I've managed to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. For example, I know about basic harmony, my modes, key changes, scale changes and how to use 7th Chords.This has allowed me to make a lot of instrumentals in a short amount of time as well. Everything I've learnt so far is based on free information I've received on Youtube. However, I have a difficulty understanding how to use extended chords beyond the 7th chords.

I do understand how to build an extended chord but, I don't fully understand how to use them in a chord progression filled with extensions. I've tried using them before and the end result always sounds good but, I don't have a complete understanding of what I'm doing. I know you can find the extensions for a triad or 7th chord by skipping the notes in scale to find the 9th, the 11th and the 13th degree. Nevertheless, things get confusing when I think about how to use them in a chord progression. I know the how to build a Amin11 chord. However, If we have a four chord progression loop that is in the A minor scale and everyone chord in it is a 13th chord, can all the chords be diatonic to A minor? I know that's a stupid question as a 13th chord consist of 7 notes which is the amount of notes that exist in a minor scale which means that if they're going to be diatonic, they can't be separate chords. However, it's difficult to describe the problem I have and this question, as stupid as it is, at least hints at the issue which is why I bought it up. My answer to this question is that they obviously can't be diatonic for the reason that the question is stupid. This brings me to my second question. If the extensions can't be diatonic in this chord progression, where must I get the extensions for every other chord in the progression besides the tunic chord that grounds the progression in Amin (Amin13th)? It's easy to tell where I must get the extensions for the Amin13 chord; they'd come from the A minor scale. However, where would I get the extension for another chord in the progression like a Dmin13 chord? I obviously can't get them fro the A minor scale as it would turn the Dmin13 into Amin13 chord, so where I must find those extensions? Videos on Youtube take teach about how to make extended chords don't address this and i assume it's because the answer to such a question seems obvious. However, it's not obvious to someone like me who is second guesses myself when I don't have clearly defined rules. I'm going to assume that I get the extensions from the Dmin13 chord for the D minor scale, even if it's in a chord progression that is grounded in the A minor scale. I'm also going to assume that rule would apply to all the other chords in the hypothetical A minor chord progression. However, is that correct or at least a well established concept in music? It seems intuitive to me but, if I'm correct, I'd like to know where I'd go to receive confirmation. Wow, I've been using the word however a lot. However, I'd like to hear what you think; whoever you are. Could you give me any helpful information on the theory behind using a bunch of extended chords in a chord progression? Did what I write seem easy to understand or was it in coherent nonsense? Is a clarification needed? I look forward to seeing helpful replies. My next thread on this forum will be of me sharing so instrumentals I've made in the appropriate place on this website.

-Digital Musix

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Welcome!

Me too, I know some stuff about chords but not a lot. I still try to learn regularly when I use various chord plug-ins. Have you been using anything like that or are you just trying to build them all from scratch?

Here's some links to check out though. Some might be dated:

Audiobellum

Beatmaker
Welcome!

Me too, I know some stuff about chords but not a lot. I still try to learn regularly when I use various chord plug-ins. Have you been using anything like that or are you just trying to build them all from scratch?

Here's some links to check out though. Some might be dated:

I don't use plugins to make my chords but, most of my chord progressions are based on my understanding of music theory.

Being able to play by ear is an incredible skill to develop and I'd like to be able to do it one day. Do you have perfect pitch?
Hahahaha, I wish. Watched a few Rick Beato videos on youtube and his son has perfect pitch. Just a ridiculous amount of practice. It comes with time. It takes literally seconds to find the key though, from there I find the scale and then improvise within the scale

Audiobellum

Beatmaker
Hahahaha, I wish. Watched a few Rick Beato videos on youtube and his son has perfect pitch. Just a ridiculous amount of practice. It comes with time. It takes literally seconds to find the key though, from there I find the scale and then improvise within the scale
You do seem to understand theory as much as you are good at playing by ear. Since you do improve, is it safe to assume that you also do Jazz? Extensions are common in that genre. Do you use tensions/extensions in your music? If so, how? When I use extended chords in my progression, I derive the extensions only from the key of the chord progression. This limits how many extensions I can use per chord. For example, the 9th in a Cmajor9 chord is a D note,so I'd add that d note to every other chord a chord progression grounded in the C major scale. This isn't a proper way to do this but, it still sounds good. However, it wouldn't make sense for me to add that D to a D minor 7 chord if it also belonged to that C major chord progression as the D minor 7 chord already has a D. That's the problem that I'm trying to address. What other extension could I add to that D minor 7 chord that doesn't belong to the Cmaj9 or Cmaj13 chord? Should I just take those extension for the D minor scale instead?

I never use extensions, but i will drop an octave or two and play the root key of each chord as it progresses, it thickens the frequency spectrum of the particular instrument im trying to recreate. Playing three note chords is enough work for me, hahahaha. I would love to study piano and guitar properly. I will one day. I tend to use minor scales a hell of a lot as I prefer the darker sound of minor scales. When you start talking about 7ths my eyes glaze over and I think, I love music, there is always something new to learn. I never have been a big fan of jazz as a whole, but there is always the occasional track that blows me away. Loved Tribe Called Quest back in the day and they sampled a lot of jazz, as did Guru for a bit. Improvisation is how I learned to play in the first place, it just comes naturally to me now.

members online