A Bunch of Newbie Question(Please Help)..

MeLoDrUmMaDiLL

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Ok..first of all..i got a sample loaded up in CEP(cool edit pro)..i click the wave properties & it says the tempo is 113.6..So i save it as a wav file. I open up FL Studio..i use fruity slicer..n it says that the tempo is 81..what i wanna know is..why is the tempo different?

Secondly..I sample downloaded songs from the net..i want to sample vinly...i know u need to hook up a turntable to a PC..but how? what turntables to get? can i get a cheap one? i dont know anything bout turntables..I heard the turntable must have a input/output at the back or something..

Please..i need help..I appreciate your help..Thankx a lot.

Peace

e.porter

eyez all hazy...
ill o.g.
i know nothing about FL so i really can't help you with your first question, but as far as a turntable is conserned, i would sugggest getting a direct drive turntable. if you're not going to scratch then a belt drive is fine, but i would go for a direct drive and avoid problems from the get-go. belt-drives are cheaper, but dishing out a few extra dollars is advised. In order to hook it up to your PC you need a pre-amp as well.

technics 1200
numark TTX (this is the one i have, no complaints yet)
numark TT-200
numark TT-1650
stanton str8-100
stanton str8-80

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
go into the forums at www.flstudio.com and ask them about the tempo question.

I have one of the tables that e.porter mentioned, the numark tt-1650, and as far as i remember it was a great deal for the price. But you'll also need to look into getting a mixer. I suggest a decent mixer such as the gemini pmx-04, but i used a radioshack brand for years. You can also wire it up so that your computer is routed through the mixer, as well as your tv. Use the mixer to eq and baam you've got the ultimate sampler. g'luck

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
MeLoDrUmMaDiLL said:
Ok..first of all..i got a sample loaded up in CEP(cool edit pro)..i click the wave properties & it says the tempo is 113.6..So i save it as a wav file. I open up FL Studio..i use fruity slicer..n it says that the tempo is 81..what i wanna know is..why is the tempo different?

to be honest i wouldnt rely on this auto-tempo feature. it will only really give you the correct tempo for a perfectly trimmed drum loop as it can detect the different drum hits in the waveform.

the best way to find the tempo of a sample is to experiment. get a basic kick/snare drum pattern going, and get your sample looped. the just adjust the tempo until it fits.

sAfE.

Emeezy

Etrack Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
the tempo feature that the latest version of FL has seems to lack what previous versions have...i loaded a sample in earlier today and it was tellin me that it was at 31 bpm...now i know that is not right..your best bet it to chop the sample up yourself and play each chop serarately...as far as turntables goes..e.porter is on the money..i got the str8-80 and i have no complaints..i scratch and sample off that thing...you cant go wrong with a turntable like the ones listed above

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
what im wondering is how is cool edit telling you the tempo of shit? every time i look at "tempo" its always at the same number. lol. dont get that confused wit the tempo of ur wave form. if its some type of auto detect thing.. be skeptical

ill o.g.
I'll be hooking up an old turntable to my laptop after I get a decent cartridge for it...

My question is, is it recommended that you get a dedicated phono preamp, or will any old audio interface/mixer (planning on getting the MobilePre USB, but I've been thinking of taking the mixer route instead) sufficiently amplify the sound?

Dill: as far as I know regarding I/O, what you need to worry about if you want to hook your turntable up for sampling is the output. There should be cable that splits into two (or three): two male stereo plugs, one red and the other white, and (not sure if everyone has this or it's just mine 'cause it's old) a little metal fork used for grounding. You may have to connect the two stereo plugs into a converter leading out into a 3.5mm jack for computer use, but your hardware might support stereo in which case you can save the $2.

^ Correct me if I'm wrong :).