A Business Plan

YoungDecadeZ

ill o.g.
Hey everyone whats good....

I am lacing a album or what not... I already got a image planned out..but i want to know more about budgetting,marketing,and promoting.. How exactly do you go about doing this correctly for your album ?

I mean.. When I hear about Master P selling thousands out the trunk and Ludacris selling thousands out the trunk.. The only thing i think of ..is that they had a game plan ? So can somebody help me with a game plan ? Maybe gimme some tips on what to do ? My album doesn't officially drop til Jan 2007..but thats only because i want to make sure all the promotional preparations and more are already taken care of.. You feel?

So please .. I would appreciate it if somebody could help me with this ..

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Go buy the book "Everything you need to know about the music business" by Donald L. Passman. Read it.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
YoungDecadeZ said:
Hey everyone whats good....

I am lacing a album or what not... I already got a image planned out..but i want to know more about budgetting,marketing,and promoting.. How exactly do you go about doing this correctly for your album ?

I mean.. When I hear about Master P selling thousands out the trunk and Ludacris selling thousands out the trunk.. The only thing i think of ..is that they had a game plan ? So can somebody help me with a game plan ? Maybe gimme some tips on what to do ? My album doesn't officially drop til Jan 2007..but thats only because i want to make sure all the promotional preparations and more are already taken care of.. You feel?

So please .. I would appreciate it if somebody could help me with this ..

Master P and Ludacris represent like 1% of the industry, so I wouldn't say they are the best example of what every artist should do or is doing currently, but its nothing wrong with emulating some of their business practices.

The music industry is always changing, and you gotta learn and adapt to those changes.

If P came out in today's era, he would've been unstoppable because he did all that with
NO airplay, promo, or visibility. With todays internet, No Limit would've been on youtube.com all day (lol)

The good thing is that you're taking the initiative with your album release to learn about the marketing and business side of the album which is ultimately the most important aspect of your entire post.

Just keep hittin' me on that PM and we'll get things moving my friend.

O

open mind

start beef with sumone thats how fiffty did it.LOL nah man iam kiddin

just try to own your city first wiht hi qualy shit then the whole country u feel me.? it always starts local then it gets bigger if u lucky.or nothing will happen thats a possibility too.

its like domino.

ToneEsharp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
to help you out you got to start small and work your way big thing but always have bigs goals. First you want to define your target market (the people who are going to be buying your record). First classify yourself would you consider yourself more commercial or undreground, singer, DJ whatever and compare yourself to someone you resemeble and find out who is buy their stuff based their demographics (age, gender, race, etc...) but do that for jsut you hometown. Once you have your target market defined you have to find ways to reach them and get them excited about your album. So try and get as many performances (even if you do them for free) in your area. Network, network, network try and hook up some with cats that are already making moves and finds ways you can bring something to the table to do co-op effort this can save time and money and you both benefit.

burn some promo cds of you rapping on industry beats hand them out to people you think would buy your album. Go on myspace and look up a segmented search for the people on myspace in your area and add as many as friends send them a message introduce yourself and give them samples of your material. maybe run a contest or something via myspace to get people interested. For example I have a top 8 contest and whoever is in my top 8 for that week or month get a free mixtape.

Get business cards and flyers printed up. Now your msuic has to be top quality that is one of the things many artist fall out on they do all this promo work and then have no money to get hot producers quality studio. I understand that stuff is expensive, but you can network to can find some hook ups who may front you some free services in return for future favors once you get bigger.

There is is so much you can do. Get your albums reviewed on websites get as much press as possible. You do this by sending out press releases to editor but normally a publicist would handle that, but try emailing a website about reviewing an ablum just make it sound professional.

Finally, my last but not least suggestion is GET IN THE MIXTAPE Circuit. I am a mixtape DJ and my job is to showcase our labels talent and get people interested about the albums. The mixtape is a major promotion tool and you can even sell if for a couple dollars to help recoup on some cost. So try and hook up with a producer or DJ in the loop.

This is just a quick overview with some suggestions there is so much more and I suggest getting a book if you plan on doing it yourself, I am a Senior PR major at Rowan University and official mixtape DJ and studio producer for Blak out Records so this topic is where I shine.

I hope i helped get you thinking........

www.myspace.com/thedjmachine

www.theblakcommunity.com

AIM- vokyvictim99

unedjtonee@yahoo.com

Da kid DJ Satisfaction
"the Blak Out Rookie of the Year"