A creative thinker is almost like a expensive hobbie.

Muszolini

I like beats.
Battle Points: 76
as maybe some know now im into making music, designing, visual effects, and 3D modeling.

this aint really a hobbie for me, its more of a way of living for me, (crafting skills, never be perfect, the moments you over achieve is a next feeling) just love having projects to eat up.

But i find it very hard to get the budget for computer softwares .. thats when u want to attempt to be legit......

adobe - Near enough £3000

Maya - over £3000

Music softwares - ranged, stupidly ranged,(plug ins, extras)
the only price i think are fair are Hardwares such as drumpads or tablets.

So im wondering, does anyone know any rich friends, or workstatoins, that provide these activities, (obviously a fee)
or does the method try before buy, educational purpose is a good way forward..

just wondering if anyone els felt the same way about the prices, to get creative on a computer. oh yh, let alone getting a strong capable computer. lol

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
You're going to get a ton of varying opinions..

I'm not going to sit here and say that I purchased everything I have......But when I made money on it, I used that money to purchase something I may not have purchased.

I always told myself that money made on music will be put right back into music. I believe it's only right to do that and support those who provide these wonderful things to us.

I know some people who just bought everything because they could afford it...I wish I was one of those people... But you could only buy what you can afford.

My thing is...if you got it for free, I'm not hating...but if you start making money on it, BUY IT. Support those who have supported you by creating the tool that caused you to earn some income.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I leech everything, i buy what use frequently. Adobe stuff isnt one of them, im not a pro designer though i know how most the adobe suite works :).

Back in the days of warez (thank you scandinavia) you really could not afford any software, especialy when you're a kid or student. So to me its fair because in the end you gain the knowledge to make the proper purchase.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I don't think the "promotional use" tag will last forever. I also feel like a person should do whats right. The only compromise that I see is - use what you have access to and 'give back' accordingly. If you're making good money using "promotional use" products then put good money back into it. If you're making little to no money off of it (like myself), then it's a matter of choice and integrity (imo).

At this point, the economy is horrible, our genre is suffering, and life is tough in general. Doing whats right is always the best solution in the long run, doing what you can to support your craft is better than not doing anything at all (in some cases).

Muszolini

I like beats.
Battle Points: 76
thanks all

Interesting, outlook on giving back to the product teams..

outcome i can see towards that is you being a tester or a lab mouse for there products.

Just like a gamer, hardcore gamers can get into being the first to test games and whatnot... but thats them getting paid for it.

so i still find it hard that only money can be your courtesy towards there prudcts. i could be wrong, cos i havent researched on anyone who did that "giving back"

sometimes my mind sidetracks to thinking its all commodity.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
beta testers mostly dont get paid hehe they get the oppertunity.

@dac, that suffering is matter of perspective really :) Did you see the PressPausePlay vid i posted earlier ?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Being creative doesnt need to be expensive. There are free programs that get done what you are talking about. I think majority of the people just want something easy to get into, which would seem like what ever is the industry standard

DP posted one, as far as a DAW: Reaper was close to being helmed as the best DAW out with all its features and shortcuts. Last I checked there was a free licence and a commercial one, both full featured.

sometimes my mind sidetracks to thinking its all commodity.

yea, Its not anything near food, water, etc. but it still is someones hard work, technical skills, and months/years of tweaking. Not taking into account the money they've invested into making their business a reality.

It aint cheap but lining their pockets is the least you can do. Without them, you'd still be banging on tables and drawing on sketch pads lol

@dac, that suffering is matter of perspective really :) Did you see the PressPausePlay vid i posted earlier ?

Dope Doc, I'dve sworn I posted it a few nights ago already

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yeah great vid! I kinda stand neutral on the issue as a whole...Some would say that the music industry is in bad shape because of the over saturation of noobs using the same high end tools as the pros do. Then you have those who truly have accomplished greatness using those same tools, but wouldn't have achieved their success without them. So there is some 'reality' in perception.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Yeah great vid! I kinda stand neutral on the issue as a whole...Some would say that the music industry is in bad shape because of the over saturation of noobs using the same high end tools as the pros do. Then you have those who truly have accomplished greatness using those same tools, but wouldn't have achieved their success without them. So there is some 'reality' in perception.

Exactly, the big names NOW would've totaly torrented the shiznit if it was possible back then. People want to learn the tools of trade, im not going to convince anyone to buy software because leeching is bad. I do suggest to purchase the stuff you know best because of the support you give and get(even though its sometimes overrated and enterprise departments know shit). And sometimes its inevatible, you must pay to gain the product/knowledge.
That being said, ive been using and trying software since 386 machines. You'd get 3 cd-roms with PT III for a mere 17.000 dollar (no hardware) and for those starting out, most daws even a few years back were still expensive compared to these days. Its really uncomparable but our fascist threadstarter (;) has the problem that this concerns 3d and imaging software which is! a hel lot more expensive then most daws (i'd friggin leech it).

Regarding the PPP documentary, ill add some links for panel hearing which is also interesting food for thought.