A generation without recordcollections?

ill o.g.
I´m working at a library right now and I just heard two kids talking to eachother. One of them asked the other what she was listening to and she answerd Green Day. Then he asked what SONGS she had with them and it just hit me; are we the last generation with recordcollections? I know that alot (or maby all) of you download music but we all have records too. My favorite recordsetore is closing ´cause they can´t sell enough, wtf?

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Since 00' I've basicly downloaded all my RECORDS. I download Full albums and never single tracks.

So isn't really destorying "records", but I agree that there's almost no teens that can talk about their favorite album/albums. And that's sad, because they really miss out on something special when they don't listen to a well composed album in it's full essance. But then again, alot album nowadays aren't made that way. It's not like 'The Massacre' was driven by an artistic vision from start to end, like let's say Little Brother's 'The Ministrel Shpw'.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
the sound of vinyl, talk to an audiophile about it, take any class-a audio setup and compare the same track on vinyl and mp3.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Also with vynal you always run into real obscure samples that you'd probably never run into by downloading. Samples from records made in the sixties by people that only sold a few thousand or less, i think the history of those samples make great tracks./

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
HAHAHA......Demand wil die down for vinyl and then we will be able to cop thousands for pennies......not that bad of a thing for us

AND we will be able to press our own stuff up, cuz the price of a press will also drop!!!!!

Cant wait!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
It is a bad thing since its cuz less people buying vinyl has resulted to a huge decrease in record plants meaning less people are willing to release tracks on vinyl. Its naturaly due to technological (digital) developments and IC technology on the hardware side. The real old good stuff is by modern standards rated as class-a, most of your amps are not for the simple reason that manufacturing has improved, oem's can sell more and cheaper in smaller containments per product.

Prices drop on bulk and you might get lucky on them buys but there's also loads of rare's going way up in price for mint conditions. You try and find the deep throat soundtracks album, I dont know what they go for but they were only handed out the first 1000 visitors at the movietheaters. I havent heard a bit of it but it must dope sample material and money in the proper hands.

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
grandtheftaudio said:
My favorite recordsetore is closing ´cause they can´t sell enough, wtf?

yours too! i just got word that my favorite record store is closin' as well. this sucks cause i'm just starting to get really serious with my record collection.

-Roy

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm savin up money to start having a vinyl record collection for producing/listening needs, but I almost never download music. I cop my albums, I mean yah it sounds nice on paper - free music. But you end up killin the artists then no music gonna be comin out anyway. Even if I cop the downloaded music (like iTunes) I personally prefer to get the full album if I'm payin for it. I just like comin home with it poppin it in the player and just layin back for awhile

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nice way of looking at things Formant. But I am sure that those treasures will be treasures. If they go up in price it means someone already copped it and traslated the sound into a digi file. Remember the high ass price of a David Axelrod record? Dont worry. If you do find a Gem(in the soon/far future) it will be those albums that someones cousin or uncle made back in 65 that only was release to family and friends....That album that No one has heard yet! One of those pieces that go overlooked.
People always find ways around those inflated prices.

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
changalang said:
not only have i seen the use of vinyl diminshing in sampling but also with these cd-dj setups that i feel is ruining the art of spinning records...just my two cents

Agreed!.......not to mention beyond cd's.....we've got mp3 setups like stanton's final scratch......I havent messed with any of these yet, i still have thousands of vinyl to go through. Plus I like the feel of actual vinyl rather than a virtual record. I hope we are not the last generation with vinyl(despite what i said earlier, i was kinda kidding before), but thats the way its lookin. Thats technology for ya!

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I love my vinyl but you must recognize change, I'm pretty sure its some older people out there that wish 8-tracks were still around

or for that matter regular tapes cuz they barely sell those anymore its a cd world now

Like homie said earlier its better for us who buy vinyl cuz the price is going to keep going down

we'll always be able to find some too, because its always somebody selling it or passing it on

ill o.g.
It´s not only vinyl that´s having a bad time in Sweden, swedish hiphop is selling so bad that some artists don´t make albums now cause they´re waiting for things to change. There is only one swedish hiphop act that´s selling right now (double gold and one of those was from Norway) and the others make money from shows and mixtapes. A swedish hiphop record can sell about 500 copies (in Norway maby 1500) today.

The only thing that makes this all feal better is that when Ipods start crashing I´ll be sitting on a huge recordcollection laughing.