A good computer and OS to produce music with?

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I recently bought an acer computer on a wim (it was like 250 bucks) because my HP got too old and started to crap out on me.

now that I'm runnin windows vista I'm having alot of troubles. My FL 8 works fine but my audio interface (a mobile pre by m-audio) isnt compatible with vista and I cant get my fL studo to detect my keystation 88 pro for some reason after I've just installd it.

anyway, is anyone using vista having these problems? Should I get a more high end computer?

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
ok. point being made, but the problem lies on his OS and if it is 32 or 64. I dont care about Vista at this point either due to the lack of drivers I just dual boot my shit into XP. But for his sceniro to determine if help is available we would need to know what OS he has exactly.

T

The Arkitekt

right click "my computer" on the start menu, then click properties, it will tell you. chances are you have 32-bit. and dual boot is when it gives you the option to boot 2 different operating systems before your computer boots into windows, i.e.: you can select vista or xp before the operating system boots

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
sorry, was too lazy to read the other posts, but imo fuck vista.
you can make music with a stick, a stone and xp...well you should have at least 1 gig of ram tho...
format your acer and put xp on it if its possible

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Im not trying to instigate but if you ever decide to switch over from PC to a MAC you wont regret it. None of these problems exist in OSX for making music. Plus its rock solid. Just as a heads up for later I suppose.

T

The Arkitekt

i want to switch to mac really bad, i'm planning on tri booting my laptop (vista (because it's product key is legit), xp 64-bit, and osx. osx on pc is now possible) so i can get a little preview and play around time on osx. my brain knows osx is more superior, stable, and overall better but idk my pc side of me hates it, its a big switch from windows, i'm too used to windows i been using it since i was like 5 and i can pretty much do anything in it

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
If you end up runnin Parallels or BootCamp you should talk to Drama Boi I believe he said he uses a similar configurement.

----------

Oh yeah, Arkitekt - Ive been a Windows user my entire like until a couple years ago when I finally made the switch and I swear learning the Mac was far more intuitive then Windows ever was. When ever you cop one youll learn it in no time, trust me.

T

The Arkitekt

yea i'm sure it's not that hard at all, as long as your computer knowledgable. it's the getting used to part

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Yeah man, if your already computer savvy then OSX is a breeze. Plus whats nice is theres like a key command for literally everything including scripts that you can use or write yourself to execute tasks without clicking on shit constantly....Pretty cool stuff.

T

The Arkitekt

yea i think i'm gonna hit up the various torrent sites tonight and get the osx iso to try it out. idk if bootleg software talk is aloud on ill, but are there big limitations on using osx without a valid product key? or you dont know

ps: i was also thinking of going with linux but it's just theres so many apps and progs that arn't compatible even through w.i.n.e., you have any experience with linux and its usage?

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
hmm, i worked on a mac and its realy stable and all, but id rather invest in some rack stuff or new speakers than buying a mac. i have a realy crappy pc, 762ram and 1.6 ghz, assembled from leftovers, but its good enough for battery and cubase. a mac wont upgrade your ears (hah envy speaking i guess)
maybe you need more horsepower or a mac if youre using synth vsts excessively, but i dont.

i need a new soundcard with at least 8 outs, a hybrid analog/digital mixing console, some freakin compressors with huge knobs and a reel-to-reel taperecorder. anyone giving up his producing career or having too much money, HIT ME UP! :D

@arkitekt: i guess linux is for lovers only, you can emulate windows on it and run stuff that way, but basically its limited to open source sequencers and eqs, which can never compare to all those nice steinberg and waves progs you get for windows and mac.

if you realy realy hate bill gates, go and try it out. stick with windows or mac os otherwise