A potentially dumb question

BobCarter

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What's the point of having a hardware mixer instead of a virtual mixer? It seems like a waste of money when many DAW's and plug-ins are available that have built-in mixers.... I can understand why some people choose to use hardware like keyboards and such or maybe they are used to using physical mixing boards and don't want to move out of the past, but it seems easier to me to just operate a virtual mixer through an application instead... maybe there's something I'm missing...

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Well its more of a preference. After working with a mix board and then a virtual I can honestly say I luuuuuve a hardware mixer. The reason being is you can feel the faders slide to the spot needed for the correct amount of volume, eq, etc. Plus you can move them all at once vs. one by one.

Its up to you and how you work.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
having all knobs n sliders for every channel is instant gratification... less of a chore on hardware... everything is right there... i only would use software to save space in the studio... plus maybe a different sound when mixed with hardware.

da relic

38th||

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
having all knobs n sliders for every channel is instant gratification... less of a chore on hardware... everything is right there... i only would use software to save space in the studio... plus maybe a different sound when mixed with hardware.

da relic

I gotta agree, having everything right in front of you is the cat's meow, so to speak. Eq, mute, solo, record, pan, and volume all in your face...transport, zoom, locate..its all right there. For smaller projects, i guess it doesnt matter but for projects with larger track counts it makes things a breeze.

Secondly, most loyalists choose their mixers based on its characteristics, be it Neve, SSL, Mackie or whatever they've learned on.

Plus the faders look cool when they move.

krysolite

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

da relic

cosign x2

hardware you can change anything instantly and lets you experiment faster. instead of moving your mouse and dragging knobs. alot more efficient

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
routing is one reason, the routing of outboard effects, keyboards, samplers, pre's, etc and not being dependent on a soundcard/interface, many of which really can't past the muster.

another is sound, provided we're talking a mixing desk or console and not just a control surface with faders as that's still mixing with the itb virtual mixer. one of the reasons for the rise of summing boxes (and debates) is that full itb mixes sometimes lack the 3-d sound provided by the real world counterparts. not to mention the over used term, warmth.

unless a daw has been coded wrong, they all sound the same, it's 0's and 1's, same with computers, sound and character are exclusively in the hands of the plugs (after the initial recording of course) whereas real world mixers, maybe even digital ones (not really familiar with them) will provide a 'sound' and it will even vary among it's own series. those neves, ssls, tridents, api's, etc are a huge part of the sound you've been hearing since you first was exposed to music.

i can also tell you, that working on an ssl console actually helped me overstand the plug in versions more because i finally was able to picture it properly. that's just me but thought i'd mention it

my experience is that a hybrid is the best solution. also, why would you see a mixer as something old?

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I gotta agree, having everything right in front of you is the cat's meow, so to speak. For smaller projects, i guess it doesnt matter but for projects with larger track counts it makes things a breeze.
that's basically what it could come down to... if u have a 24 trk studio, ur prolly usin a hardware mixer with 24 channels, or at least 16... if u have a home studio, and its really only about u yourself IN the studio, ur prolly usin less trx, therefore the software mixer is best.

da relic

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
if you've got alot of synths or other stuff, I can't really think of any other efficient way to connect your RCA/1/4" cables to your computer.... unless someone can correct me?

members online