A Study of Overlooked Hip Hop Classics pt 1

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
His first album " The Great Adventures of Slick Rick" is widely considered a classic. His second album, " The Ruler's Back" , didn't get the attention his first did, for a myriad of reasons, one being the arrival of gangsta rap . Still, I contend that is a lesson in loops, breakbeats and scratching. And of course Rick's superb storytelling.
I'm big on the vibe of albums as a whole. ( I rank Jay Z's American Gangster higher than most because of the over all vibe of that album, it sets a mood.)

The vibe of this album? No frills. Raw hip hop.

nobodyelse

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Hypotenuse

Great topic fam... Slick Rick is a true lyrical/story telling genius. First album is most def a classic, second album was dope as well. Mistakes of a woman in love with other men is INCREDIBLE to me.. Rick went against the grain In a culture where machismo reigned supreme. Slick Rick displayed a finessed lyrical persona that in my opinion is unmatched to this day. He's definitely one of my all time favs... One of my personal favorite & Overlooked Hip Hop classics is Dah Shinin by Smif-n-Wessun.. Purely a hip hop classic in my opinion overlooked by the masses. Just gritty 90's hip hop. Hip Hop used to be the shit, but I guess it still is the shit depending on how you look at it. Peace.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
Must admit I did sleep on these guys. I was more drawn to Buckshot. Gotta go back and do my research. Thanks bro.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Im an old school head so I never slept on him, Rick found trouble early in his career which threw him out of the spotlight and into prison. That really limited his success as a rapper. During his time he was probably the best storytelling rapper out. Dana Dane and Doug E. Fresh were pretty good with it too and all 3 worked together. Had he not gone to prison, I think he would have eventually become a bigger household name but I've always admired his work. Childrens Story is one of my all time favorite story raps.