A tight beat, but...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I'm guessing, I'm not the only one this happens to...

I make an average of a beat every day (basic structure)... and this week, I made two beats that I thought where real nice. I finally tried the cutting/rearranging sample technique. Thing is, I wanna be versatile and be able to go different directions.

Now, I let my boys listen to the track, all excited, but not showing it... you know the feeling, when you think you have a banger... Thing is, all I got was...

"Well, it's not your style of beat, man. Stick to your style..."

...or...

"Yo Steevo, this is kind of disapointing..."

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanm!!!!! And I really thought thos beats where straight fiya!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Sometimes you're going to get people like that. I used to experience that too in the past, but as long as YOU think it's good, that's what matters. I say that because it's one thing to have your boys tell you they're not feeling it, but to have people on here tell you is totally different!

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Fade, the reason why nobody likes your beats is because you don't use a pro-tools setup. It's the truth!

L. Soul

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Get some people who've never hear any of your beats and let them listen to a selection of your beats including these new ones that way they aren't used to any of your particular styles and have them rate each one.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Don't trip man, it could be one of two things. Sometimes when you attempt a new style, you'll be excited because you'll achieve the style you were going for, but really the beat isn't that good, and maybe a few weeks later you realize it. The second thing could just be their taste in music. Like my roommate up here slaps the weakest shit ever, so his opinion on my beats means absolutely nothing to me, whether he says it slaps or he doesn't like it. Gotta remember that not everyone likes the same shit.

K

konartis

above post is EXACTLY right, when i first got into production i was amazed that i could make a sine wave 4-key melody in 4 bars with a crappy kick-snare-kick-snare drum pattern.
that was my first ever beat and i thought it was awesome. times have changed..

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
...yeah, I'm thinking about it.

I know it did happen to me in the past (once you achieve a goal you wanted to achieve, you always are happy of the final product, even if it's crappy...) but I thought I was over that now. But I trully hope that I'll listen to the beat in 2 or 3 weeks and still think it's a banger.

I'll post them here in a few to have a better opinion.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
FistFulloDollaz said:
its people on every coast that loves premo

No there aren't. I haven't met one person in the West who loves premo.

Sike. No shit Shirlock, lol.

hobgoblin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i recently sent out a beat CD of newer and older stuff and was surprised that the MC's in general much prefered my older beats! Personly i think my new stuff is much doper...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Fades right man, people are just like that, it dont really matter who you got as an audience in the end becuase everybody has their own opinion....

Ive noticed that for the most part; just about everybody at least in our demographic trys to analyze a beat they hear by comparing it to something they already know that they personally like to listen to. It seems as though personal taste usually almost always dictates what the listener is gonna say.

Theres a few cats every once and a while who really are just good critical listeners though, that dont set a standard from the git and just judge on whether or not it touches them in some way or not, or they notice something like the intricate lead over your chord progression, or something of that nature....cuz for the most part aint nobody caring enough to really just sit back and be neutral before they think about all aspects that are involved on how the song was constructed or can be applied to different projects in the future.....

All they usually are gonna say is that "oh the drums are tight, but i aint feeling the synths" cuz they like samples more - or, "Ahhh well its tight but it aint really sounding like somethin you could rap too" cuz they dont either have an understanding of how an educated emcee really raps over a piece or they just aint used to hearing that sound for a typical beat that they would listen to personaly....the list goes on man.........Everybodies got an opinion and theres really no end to the random answers that you can get back from people on yer craft.........its all about the person listening and what they already know.

STEEZ

(All in all, just make the music that youve been makin just long as you continue to grow and improve yer craft - fuck the people who cant vibe to yer shit, theres too many people in the world to please)