A word of advice. (Inspired from Cold Truth's post.)

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I read Cold Truth's post https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4836&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

He made me think of some kind of advice that, if you are willing, you might consider.

For example, especially for beginners, if you are not doing this already, try to directly copy a famous producer's track.

For example. If you like a Dr. Dre track. Try to copy it, programming and all. Though it will not sound exactly like the real thing, try to figure stuff out and as you copy more and more tracks, you will learn subtleties of each producer, and you will pick out things that did not appear at first (like Dr. Dre's background "accentuations.")

If you like Timbaland's beats. Try to copy his beat programming event by event. See if you can figure it out. Try to learn how to mess with the envelopes on your audio editors and synths to make some of his sounds. Obviously, it will not sound perfect.

But, as you learn more and more, and copy songs, you will learn yourself from each song. These will give you more ammunition to do your own track by standing on the shoulders of giants.

If you already do this, more power to you. If you don't care, or are comfortable in your ways, more power to you. Just reason and think how this might help you if you are unsatisfied with your work, or you want to "step it up."

Sincerely,
God

E

Equality 7-2521

i use the method of analysing the beats of favourite producers and simply letting myself be influenced by what i hear. music is a progression. everythign heard today is modled in some way on something from a time before. so thats what feels natural and most effective to me.

C

Copenhagen

Haha Vitaminman...you're right. I remember posting something about that kind of stuff too...mimicing the songs you like, you'll never get them exactly right, but close enough if you keep trying...and the knowledge you gain whilst doing it is great.

members online