Acoustic Foam

TITO

MAESTRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
50 cal said:
sup everybody, I'm gonna be foaming my closet to make a vocal booth and i ran across this site http://www.foambymail.com/Products.html . It seams to be just like the auralex foam, but the prices seam to good to be true. If you were me would would you buy from these guys.

i just purchased some foam because im finallly moving into a building and im getting the accoustics done in for the studio. these people got some real good deals you should check them out they got different combinations so im sure you could find just what you need.
and you get the adhesive for the foam

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZfoamforyou

50 cal

King of the West
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
TITO said:
i just purchased some foam because im finallly moving into a building and im getting the accoustics done in for the studio. these people got some real good deals you should check them out they got different combinations so im sure you could find just what you need.
and you get the adhesive for the foam

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZfoamforyou

A thanks man, I think i'ma go with them they do have some nice low prices

maddogg

A hater since the womb!
ill o.g.
I got some off them from ebay there prices cant be beat..

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Me and my roommate originally went the route of getting the eggshell bed foam from Wal-Mart and spray-painting it black (which messes up the acoustic thingamajig about it) but we realized that quality is worth it if we're going to have people PAY to use the studio. We ordered a huge amount from http://www.foambymail.com , but now that I look at it... I can't even lie... the prices that they have at that ebay seller's page have me second guessing our purchase.

Shit....

TITO

MAESTRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I dont know if it matters if the foam is wedge or pyramid but my booth came with the pyramid foam. i would think it helps spread the sound mor evenly in the booth thats why. for the ebay web store im sure they restock and if you contact them by email or if they have their phone number listed you could request for a custom set of foam.

Attachments

• IMGP0001.jpg
    IMGP0001.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMGP0003.jpg
    IMGP0003.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMGP0004.jpg
    IMGP0004.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 162

50 cal

King of the West
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
TITO said:
I dont know if it matters if the foam is wedge or pyramid but my booth came with the pyramid foam. i would think it helps spread the sound mor evenly in the booth thats why. for the ebay web store im sure they restock and if you contact them by email or if they have their phone number listed you could request for a custom set of foam.

that booth is tight, what kind of mic is that

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
5. What is the difference in acoustic foam and other kinds of foam,
such as the egg crate bed foam?

Acoustic foam is a special chemical blend of polyurethane foam or melamine foam that is specially designed to absorb sound waves. Other foams do not have the same properties or qualities to adsorb sound properly. Acoustic foam is fairly expensive compared to other look-alike foams, but is a specialty product and is expensive to manufacture from the start. There really is no good substitute for quality and performance when dealing with acoustic foams. Just remember that all foams are NOT a like! Do not be fooled by lower priced foams claiming to be "Acoustic" or "Soundproof." Keep in mind the acoustic industry standard requires a minimum of 2" thick, 2lb foam, as seen on our web pages. The thicker the acoustic foam the more sound absorbent it will be, especially in the mid to lower bass frequencies. If you will notice the cheaper packing type foams that are claiming to be "soundproof," are very thin. Too thin to be effective even if it was the right kind of foam. We can help you find the right foam for your project just give us a call. We carry a full line of acoustic foams, from generic brands to name brands in both Class 1 and Class 2 as discussed below.

6. What is the difference in Class 1 and Class 2 acoustic foam?

The class rating refers to their fire retardant ratings. Class 1 means it will not burn and will turn to ash when exposed to flame. Class 2 means it will flame, but will self extinguish as it burns. Many building codes require Class 1 if used in public buildings or when permanently attached to walls or ceilings, and so forth. Please check your local building codes for your requirements.
Without the ratings and testing it's just plain packing or furniture foam which has NO acoustical value, and may NOT have fire ratings! Some claim to have a CA-117 fire rating but this is NOT a Federal Standard, it basically is a California ONLY fire test for furniture foam. It is not a rating given to acoustic foams. So don't get ripped off by claims of these so called "fire retardant" foams. Why is the fire code so important? Because we do not want to see another tragedy like the night club in Rhode Island because they wanted cheap foam, instead of the right foam. Be safe, and remember, saving money now can cost you later, especially if it doesn't work.

"melamine" foams are Class 1
"polyurethane" foams are all Class 2

Auralex studiofoam works great. But, it ain't cheap. The 2 inch pyramid or 3 inch wedge styles will give you maximum sound reduction, but, depending on the amount of area you're trying to cover, it could cost you a few hundred bucks.
I know a guy that wanted to try a cheaper method, so I suggested that he buy 4 king-size mattress pads and a roll of double-sided tape. Total cost: $66 (tax included)
He taped each pad to an old, thick comforter (blanket) with the double-sided tape, fastened each to the paneled walls with 3 wood screws across the top, and used the rest of the tape between the comforter and the wall so it would stay snug against it.
Results?
Well, he's totally happy with it, and it really does a decent job at sound reduction.
Is it as good as the "real stuff"?
Hard to say. Probably not, but he was happy with the results. Especially since he figured out that covering the same area with the Auralex Pyramid studiofoam would have cost almost 4 times as much.
The only thing is that he has to live with that ugly green color, but he did'nt care, since the mattress pads were "on sale".
He's has that "whatever works" mentality.

members online