Add bass to tracks

glassJAw

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm having a issue with adding bass to my songs. I'm using Reason 4.0 and the stock bass strings are a bit weak. What would you suggest for making bass riffs on the keyboard?

I like the bass on Redman's Muddy Waters cd. What do you think he used to make songs like "Pick It Up"?

T

The Arkitekt

im 99% sure that bassline in "pick it up" was filtered out from a sample, what i do for nice CLEAN ass bass is take a baseline from a sample, put it into a sound editor, zoom in on the waveform, and take out that peice that is one complete waveform pattern. kinda hard to explain hold on ill post a picture

edit:

waveformui6.jpg

theres a pic of it, then i switch on something called CRF (crossfade loop) and it makes it loop and hold a note
i eq that shit and in the words of emeril, BAM!

note the up down bumps on there, just take out like 1 up bump and one down bump and its just like raw bass

or i just eq some jammin ass bass soundfonts or something, i take out all the highs and most of the mids sometimes all the mids and it sounds real smooth

glassJAw

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks, I guess I'll have to see if there's a way to do it in Reason. Maybe I should get a Bass instead haha. I don't find too many bass samples out there.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Thanks, I guess I'll have to see if there's a way to do it in Reason. Maybe I should get a Bass instead haha. I don't find too many bass samples out there.

It's very easy to isolate any bass line in a sample!!!!! Before there were keyboards with bass line producing instruments it's the way it was done.

What's that theory called again? lol

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
I like the bass on Redman's Muddy Waters cd. What do you think he used to make songs like "Pick It Up"?

i think its a filtered sample enhanced with a bassguitar or a moog. however, thats only half the way, you need redmans sound engineer, to achieve those results.
there are some pretty dope bass soundfonts(.sf2 files) out there too. software samplers like kontakt and battery can play them.

Rackoon

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I get some nice bass tones with Trilogy's electric bass presets...

But I guess theres nothing that comes close to the sound of a good bass played by a funky player going in high end gear and mixed by Dave Pensado!!!

ill o.g.
I think its called low end theory, Im having a little trouble with that too I didnt know if its ok to derive a bass from a sample if I didnt use the sample for the melody, I think that filtering it with a Low Pass filter will get rid of MOST of the highs but not all of them, they kinda get cancelled out with the melody....or so Ive been told. If I did all of the instrumentation then how am I supposed to set up the bass? On the kicks in the same direction the melody is going maybe? Does the bass need to be in the same scale as the melody or do I need to go up or down a scale? I once heard you can get a good bass sound by triggering a 808 bass drum and a different bassdrum at the same time (didnt work out for me)

members online