Adding 'Weight' To Your Snare Hits

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I just read an article about adding 'weight' to your snares and I thought "no way this can sound good" until I tried it. I was almost blown away with the difference. Adding bass to your snares can make a BIG difference in the overall presence of your beat. It's just one of those small details that make your beat feel more analog(ish) with 'warmth'. Try it out.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
I know this is a thread on snare but I also found this dope lil tidbit for making your drums sound a lil more better. I've actually never used this technique but imma try it aswell as the bass trick you touched on.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Only problem with doing that.......

In your mix you may clash with your basslines, especially if the bass overlaps the snare and creates that "mud" ....so you gotta be selective...

I agree with sucio. You want to avoid adding mud, you can always layer a lower freq snare to achieve more low end body without adding too much bass freq which will clash with basslines. Giving the bassline as much room to breathe as possible it what allows for a rich bassline along with punchy kick, which is enough of a balancing act trying to get right without adding extra potential problems in the form of bass from snares. Thats just my opinion. Eq and layering with some slight reverb and maybe a touch of compression is the key to banging drums.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Personally, I use a Correlation Meter - just to make sure there's no problem with phasing. I can't even imagine adding enough bass to a snare that would create a real big problem on the bottom end but I've never tested it. Just guessing, I would say that its possible but I'm almost sure that you would no longer have a 'traditional' snare hit. Yes you can layer it and pitch shift one, but you can only pitch shift so far before your snare starts to sound 'robotic' (the slight reverb helps mask this sound) and even then, I'd imagine that it would take some extra effort to get it to cause big phase issues. I mean a with a snare hit we're talking less than a second?

Personally, I use a Correlation Meter - just to make sure there's no problem with phasing. I can't even imagine adding enough bass to a snare that would create a real big problem on the bottom end but I've never tested it. Just guessing, I would say that its possible but I'm almost sure that you would no longer have a 'traditional' snare hit. Yes you can layer it and pitch shift one, but you can only pitch shift so far before your snare starts to sound 'robotic' (the slight reverb helps mask this sound) and even then, I'd imagine that it would take some extra effort to get it to cause big phase issues. I mean a with a snare hit we're talking less than a second?

I think it really depends on if you are having a bassline or not, with no bassline then a bigger fuller beat is needed and I suppose a bassier snare would work well in that situation.

H.Quality

ILLIEN
I just read an article about adding 'weight' to your snares and I thought "no way this can sound good" until I tried it. I was almost blown away with the difference. Adding bass to your snares can make a BIG difference in the overall presence of your beat. It's just one of those small details that make your beat feel more analog(ish) with 'warmth'. Try it out.

this works great if you already have a lot of highs boosted

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Thats a really good tip on kicks, I don't record any live kicks at home but I'd imagine that this would still be a great tool for shaping sampled kicks as well. Dope.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think of my kick/bass/snare as a menage a tues, the bass and kick gotta go in deep, with the snare suckin in on top.

FanRan

I use the mpc, so I like to put my kick and snare on another pad and turn the freq setting to zero and layer them with the original pads. Adds that nice bottom, especially for the kicks. That's really the only layering I do for my drums. My mentor taught me one thing about the MPC: If you mix as you go along, you really don't have to do to much once you record it in your DAW. Seen alchemist say the same thing in one of his you tube videos.

FanRan

Another trick is I turn my high freq slightly down and my low freq slightly up on my vestax mixer when I'm sampling drums. Get a warmer feel that way. That's why I love the MPC, it's really simple and easy to get a beefy analog feel for your samples

members online