Advanced Computer Geeks - I Need Your Help! (MAC OSX)

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I recently purchased a copy of CleanMyMac which essentially does most of the same tasks as its free counterpart "Onyx" - which I have been previously using for years, except that CleanMyMac is able to allegedly clean out unused binaries, junk files, and language files that are supposedly not needed for most of your applications which as a result allows you to regain a good deal of harddrive space.

My question to you advanced computer geek types is this:
So far the application seems very reliable and stable, however Im a bit weary to simply going ahead and removing the unused binaries in fear of some of my applications not working correctly afterwards....Of course MacPaw claims its perfectly safe but Im skeptical. If any of you have had experience using this software or have enough knowledge in this sorta area to inform me if its safe that would be highly appreciated. I just wanna be sure before I go ahead and remove 2.5 gigs of potentially damaging binaries!?...lol.

Thanks,
STEEZ

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well kind of, I think what it is doing is looking at a universal binary program (meaning both intel and PPC) and removing the unnecessary stuff IE: removing PPC stuff if you have an intel mac, should be fine.

At least I think thats what it means, of course I could be wrong and YMMV.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Sooo, I finally got the balls to remove some language files along with some development junks with CleanMyMac....And yeah, Im never fucking with the program again, and would def advise against it. Honestly, I dont even know why I finally did it?....I only gained a pathetic 2 gigs. To me it wasnt worth it after realizing how dangerous doing that really was.....Im just glad I didnt touch the universal binaries.....

After I finally executed that clean, my adobe products all strangely loaded extremely slow at first, Im not sure if they just had to rebuild their caches or wut?...but Im def mad worried now about those apps freaking out on me in the middle of an important project so I think Im going to re-install the suite. All adobe apps seem to load fine now and appear to be ok, but Im a bit scared now about what may happen in the future, and all for 2 gigs!?...I feel like a dummy.

LogicPro8 actually disliked the language files being removed far more the any Adobe products though. While booting, it had to rescan all of my plugs again and then the AUValidator app starting severely freaking out and crashing constantly. After it got through all of its bullshit I closed and re-opened Logic once more. Everything appears to be fine now, but just considering the fact that the AU manager didnt like any of that one bit makes me also want to re-install LogicPro now.

Honestly, everything appears to be ok though after each programs initial hiccup but Im stilll seriously worried about my system and what else it possibly effected in a negative way.

I found out that theres another program out there called XSlimmer that basically does the same thing but of course this app comes with a blacklist so that certain programs dont get touched, so I scanned my system to see what apps would be blacklisted with it and guess what? Every program that I had problems with afterwards with CleanMyMac were all on the list...Fucking lame dude.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
You think? Im just mad paranoid now that I may have fucked some things up?....Thing is, I dont really understand whats going on under the hood after I cleaned out those files when programs like the adobe suite and logic start acting suspicious so Im just worried that I prob should have not tampered with those particular programs, especially since I found out that their all blacklisted on XSlimmer ya kno?

members online