Advice on buying an audio interface for composition/ mixing

arta

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 15
Hi, I'm new at music production, so I'll explain as best I can, hopefully I get the terminology right. :)

Basically I'm going to be making beats and dabbling at orchestral scores, so I won't be using recording equipment. Mainly using synths and samples to create instrumentals and scores and then mix them. I just need it basically as a great soundcard and also plug in a midi keyboard and studio monitors. I want to start using an audio interface soon as a step up from the ASIO4All driver I use on my PC. I have around $250 at max to spend but if there's some magical interface that will improve the quality for cheap I'll take that :)

Right now I'm looking at a couple audio interfaces:

1) Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6

I've only known of Native Instruments for a couple months now but they are amazing with their hardware and software products! So I find myseld looking at this audio interface they have. Only thing is it uses USB 2.0 and my Dell XPS 2720 has USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt ports. I'm wondering if I can maximize them better.

2) Resident Audio T2 Thunderbolt

I have a Dell 2720 XPS and it has a Thunderbolt port which I never use. Apparently Thunderbolt has twice the speed of USB 3.0 and better latency.

So am I on the right track? Am I going overboard and can get something cheaper that has amazing quality? Or should I save more money and go for something higher?

Hadoq

Producing weird shit since 2002
Hi and welcome
I first wanted to go for the scarlett, but then I've read that, in many occurences, there were severe installation and reliability issues
so I went for the Komplete 6, plug and play, works a charm, a-mazing converters.
I use it for midi control (main in, one out)
Right now I record a virtual analog synth (alesis ion) in stereo (in 3/4), a korg ms20 mini in mono (midi in/out via built in usb)
I ordered a korg minilogue as well as a moog mother32 that I'll also plug in through komplete 6 and an additional usb/midi interface (those are cheap), I also occasionally plug in "regular" instruments, guitars, bass, a rhodes etc...

It has never ever failed me

I think the focusrite work great on macs, but if you're on windows, they can be a huge pain apparently, you never know until you actually try it on your own computer, so it was too much of a russian roulette game for me. But if you get them to work, they're great, as I often hear.
I really needed a very good A/D converter, and Komplete delivered even better than I expected in that regard.

if you're on PC/windows, consider the reliability/compatibility issues with the focusrite

members online