Advise ?

Digiteq

Battle Points: 1
hello peeps !

i have be making music for quite a while now and i want to work in a studio now my friends have told me you have to go to college to get certificates to work in a studio is that correct or what?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yeah you pretty much need to be certified at any job that you do but their are a ton of programs that you can get in that will give you the training you need. I'd say yes, they are correct, but don't let that stop you from doing what you want. Go for it.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
you don't, but you have to have a formal qualification to get paid by industry standards. so to make sure nobody fucks with you, either get the diploma or be outstandingly good.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Exactly what mono said...

Unless you have vast experience, you need to go to school..

I know an engineer that started off just going into the studio and learning shit......through experience, became an engineer himself...and a really good one.....He can get a job at any studio, I'm sure...but unless you have a generous studio willing to let you just come in and learn shit and intern...go to school...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
When I met my wife, she had worked at a studio for 6yrs, she went in the door with no training or certifications as a "runner" but as time progressed (and small commercial studios declined...), she was required to be certified to advance. They certified her on-the-job. She eventually got promoted to "assistant" but after 2yrs. the job that I was working at closed, we moved and she changed careers. So yes it's possible, but not probable nowadays without training...with all the Schools and Programs available, getting past the lobby would take a lot of luck, unless you know somebody or you have some training.