Aging/Ageism In Hip Hop

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What do you think about aging/ageism in Hip Hop? I know it reflects society's overemphasis on youth culture but since my late teens and through my twenties to now I separated youth culture in the music from adult participation. I'm an advocate for maturity in the music and I've always felt nothing is worse than an older artist in arrested development e.g. prolonged adolescence.

EsquireMusic111

Head of Production/Trilogy Sound Studios
Battle Points: 122
Music has evolved. It has its impacts in terms of evolution in all aspects. Although not many of us of age agree with where the music has gone, I do feel that over time, everything changes and as humans we are bred to adapt to any and every situation. I know not many people in the age of hip hop can agree on those terms, but in dissecting what the culture is today, I do feel that it definitely pushes us outside of the box and away from comfort and redundancy.

hip hop had a strange evolution, it used to be gangsters that wanted to be entertainers, then it became entertainers that wanted to be gangsters. I find that hip hop has generally become very narrow in its subject matter, it used to be a very diverse genre, in a genre where originality used to be a key aspect, it comes to a point that there are no new ideas left that are original. Music always evolves, it always has and it always will, and peer groups in their teens will latch on to the latest musical fad that they grow and identify with, grow fond memories of and look back on with rose tinted spectacles . Hip hop had its hey day in the early to mid 90's, maybe into the very early 2000's at a push, but it was already a declining genre back then. Hip hop had its time in the spotlight, was rinsed for all it was worth and now its just a bitter shell of its former self. I think it takes a truly rare person to stay relevant for a long period of time in the modern marketplace. The internet changed the way the world entertains itself.

members online