Aging and its effect on your musical judgment/tastes.

T

The Arkitekt

fruity loops + any singer(note lack of any emcee) + autotune = modern mainstream hiphop.
Just take kanyes album.
Its a simple formula really.

I don't get it, why do people talk shit about FL.

DAW is irrelevant to anything, it's what comes out.

T

The Arkitekt

lol I could care less if it gets "hated" on, just curious why it gets so much shit. and yea it's probly the name.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
lol I could care less if it gets "hated" on, just curious why it gets so much shit. and yea it's probly the name.

Well personally I hated it. The stock sounds and everthing lacked the warmth and quality I find in reason. The tools were meh.. The VST and VSTI feature is all it has on Reason. other then that in my eyes its for kids and techno lovers.

T

The Arkitekt

Well personally I hated it. The stock sounds and everthing lacked the warmth and quality I find in reason. The tools were meh.. The VST and VSTI feature is all it has on Reason. other then that in my eyes its for kids and techno lovers.

I'm not gonna try to convince you to use it or anything, I know it's all personal preference, but... sampling-wise it does not really lack anything. If you sample, you don't use stock sounds which I agree do suck balls, the piano roll, step editing and sequencing is just super fukin easy. The chopping is not limited either, you can manually chop, auto chop, chop by beat, half beat, quarter, etc. I'm not saying it's bad if you don't use it, im just saying it really isn't missing anything (if you sample a lot, I know reason is much better for stock synths because of the tweakage)

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
I'm not gonna try to convince you to use it or anything, I know it's all personal preference, but... sampling-wise it does not really lack anything. If you sample, you don't use stock sounds which I agree do suck balls, the piano roll, step editing and sequencing is just super fukin easy. The chopping is not limited either, you can manually chop, auto chop, chop by beat, half beat, quarter, etc. I'm not saying it's bad if you don't use it, im just saying it really isn't missing anything (if you sample a lot, I know reason is much better for stock synths because of the tweakage)

Yea I can see it as a good sampling tool and the sequencer is good. But Reason has the feel that certain users love. I mean having a rack like a real studio is fucking awesome and I've been in a real studio so I can say that its a great feel. The fact I am trying to steer from sampling due to the cost is why I will always find reason as my gun of choice.

But besides that... back on topic!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
All I can say is that the older I get the doper I get...he! he! I aint trying to blow my own horn sort of speak but I feel that I am just as relevant to hip hop as any of these youngsters out...You got artist from the old school still selling shows out overseas...artist like T La Rock for instance.

I concur. Shit the hiphop crowd is older now as well and I think thats a market in itself.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
^ is it?

I think the hip-hop crowd YOU associate yourself with is older..

But the main influence that drives the content of the music that actually sells isn't much the older crowd as is the teen crowd....

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^^^ Oh no I dont disagree with you at all sucio, but just like God was saying that you have the older rock audience , you now also have an older rap audience, we dont all just fade away to listening to rnb...lol

The youth will always drive the music market, thats just a fact. im saying though as the older heads age they still exsist, and they dont have to ask their parents for money to buy an album anymore!!(does anyone still BUY music??)

Hell Smash makes youth oriented beats with grown man lyrics, i think thats a great combo.

And for some reason lately I have been hearing heavy 80's influence in hiphop on the radio (which G said would be happening about 2 years ago I think) .

And for some reason lately I have been hearing heavy 80's influence in hiphop on the radio (which G said would be happening about 2 years ago I think) .

P Diddy was doing that shit way back.

Also @ Arkitekt. Once you are familiar with reason and use shift while turning knobs, it has some very fine chopping ability. Im in the process of taking all my old Acid pro and reason combined tracks, and just putting and chopping the samples in reason. That way I get much greater control over swing and quantization of the samples with the rest of the music in reason. It took me many years to realise that the use of the shift key in reason while sampling and setting eq's is invaluable.

T

The Arkitekt

P Diddy was doing that shit way back.

Also @ Arkitekt. Once you are familiar with reason and use shift while turning knobs, it has some very fine chopping ability. Im in the process of taking all my old Acid pro and reason combined tracks, and just putting and chopping the samples in reason. That way I get much greater control over swing and quantization of the samples with the rest of the music in reason. It took me many years to realise that the use of the shift key in reason while sampling and setting eq's is invaluable.

yea I played around with reason a many times, it just seems really fun. I'm most likely gonna get into it when I get a good interface and PT. FL is cool and it's really easy and powerful, but it gets boring after a while

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
yea I played around with reason a many times, it just seems really fun. I'm most likely gonna get into it when I get a good interface and PT. FL is cool and it's really easy and powerful, but it gets boring after a while

....I love discussing betweent Reason and FL, but we need to keep the thread on Topic.

I used to hate FL, I never got around to learning it. But it has been pointed out many times to me how powerful it actually is.
I find the way its organized confusing and awkward, but then I felt the same about every daw Ive had, until I took the time to learn a few. I started with pre sx cubase, then cubase sx. Then used acid pro and reason, forgot how to use sx, and more recently Ive dabbled a bit with pro tools. I havent touched pro tools in a while tho, I have found I can mix pretty well within reason, then use harbal and waves plugins to master the mix.
Cubase SX had some good mixing tools, Acid can use the waves plugins directly. Acid is pretty overlooked IMO, its pretty powerful, but does colour the sound of samples when beatmapping.

Its the age old question "Which DAW do I use?"
the only answer is.."The one that suits your workflow best"
Sometimes the only way to find this out is to download and try them all.
Then settle down and actually pay for the one your comfortable with. Sort of try before you buy.
Id assume you have already done your fair share of trying already and have settled with FL for now.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I dont mean outright stealing 80's pop songs, I mean outright stealing 80's beats.

Sampling? Interpolation?

Or ..you spin my head right round right round when you go down when you go down down

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
...or
aahh eeee aaah I
aahh eeee aaah eh
aahh eeee aaah oo
aahh eeee aaah Ah! Ah!

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I dont mean outright stealing 80's pop songs, I mean outright stealing 80's beats.

Yup. I'm not talking about speeding up Cutting Crew's "(I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight" and having Jay-Z rap over it about cash and yayo, either.

Call me crazy, but I have a hunch that the crazy Def Leppard "Pyromania" snare and kick (with added hiphop thump) is gonna be hot soon. Why? I don't know. It's just that 80's rock snare is gonna have a big comeback.

Emotionally I'm conflicted by it, jk. But I can hear with minimalistic production over a good verse and decent chorus.

The audience is tiring from the Euro-synth, poor-man's trance beats complementing a lot of the corporate hiphop today.