akai dps24

• beat this! voting starts in...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
It's good because you wont need a pc, that's a real advantage. It also incorporates the common features that come along a recording environment; HD recording, mixer, comp,lim,gate.

But, logically, a pc with a good audio dsp farmcard enabling enough I/O (24 in this case) would be more flexible and, depending on what you use, much better. I dunno what you're paying for it but a MOTU with 24 I/O's would probably be as expensive. But then you'd still need a console which isnt really a problem considering it's merely a controller and not a real console. So, you can look into that or build it yourself.

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
ive been keepin my eye on them too for the past bit, itd be nice to have a HD recorder to mixdown on...
id be interested to know how it stores the tracks, like if i could track my beats onto the akai dps then bring that disc to my mans mixing desk... might have to bring the whole unit tho..

*shrug*
nice piece for sure...

D

dubkutter

erkl said:
ive been keepin my eye on them too for the past bit, itd be nice to have a HD recorder to mixdown on...
id be interested to know how it stores the tracks, like if i could track my beats onto the akai dps then bring that disc to my mans mixing desk... might have to bring the whole unit tho..

*shrug*
nice piece for sure...

The tracks are stored on an unpartioned harddrive. If you purchase a SCSI card you can have an external drive also. The is even a cheap external drive option using an IDE hard disk and something called an Acard (IDE to SCSI into DPS24).
There is an internal CD drive for Back up and burning tracks to but does not allow you to rip tracks from or route audio through mixer but thats minor compared to what you can do with it.

Yes you could track your beats on it.... the export options are just so stupid for the price

You can export all your tracks in wave/aiff format individually or as one multitrack file.
If you chose individual you have a couple of options such as to Timestamp the tracks so when they are imported they are all lined up and the other option is exporting Broadcast Wave format Certain highend music applications support this format. All this can be done through CD or USB firewire not supported yet but should be on the way soon. surround sound mixing coming net year.

One word of warning the learnig curve can appear a little steap but it is pure deception as the skills you learn with the unit will go on to serve you in almost any studio environment
the unit is set up like that.

Hope this answer all your questions.

Carl

D

dubkutter

Holmzini said:
thnxs carl!.. i want this thing pretty badly

I don't blame you I work on computer too but nothings beats having some faders and nobs to play with it is an excellent addition to any buget studio.

Let me know if you need any more help

Carl

D

dubkutter

Yoh I just read my previous posts the spelling was awful for a UK national.
My head was working faster than I can type.

Bedtime.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^^ Bollocks hehe

One word of warning the learnig curve can appear a little steap but it is pure deception as the skills you learn with the unit will go on to serve you in almost any studio environment
the unit is set up like that.

I think that's typical for Akai, I mean, check their manuals, they're worse than the old Roland stuff.

A

ACEBEATZ

Read this HOLM

Holmzini said:
anyone use this machine? i hear it a very good machine a really crisp sound... feel free to drop your thoughts on the machine .. im considering getting one and i want to know whats really good

When you're buyin that kind of machine, it becomes the centerpiece of the studio.

It ain't cheap so you gotta do your shopping good before investing.

There is pros and cons to those machines :

Pros: It's stable and you'll never get stuck with viruses (unless you don't connect your pc to tha net).

The sound is clean and is realy low on noise for the machine itself ( cuz you can have noise comin from mic, pre-amps,etc...).

Converters are almost always really good so for recording, hardware is nice and reliable.

You got those automated faders so it's an hands-on working way, if it's something you like it's an advantage.

It's really lookin gorgeous in a studio!!

Cons : You almost cannot upgrade those machines.

It's really a job to edit and work with those little screens and become very frustrating from time to time, especially when you're in a rush.

You probably know that High-quality effects are very important if you wanna do a pristine clear and punchy mix. Trust me for wut is effects i know my way around, and i just bought a tc powercore firewire (2400$ can for only 12 effects but they r bangin). you know why i doesn't care to pay this? Cuz my money will be well invest. This is so important to have good effect and TRUST me, there is no machines Akai, korg, or even roland that have really good effect in em. They will be ok, but not great.

And those kind of machines are rarely followin evolutions as fast as software and pc's related product, though it's not a big problem cuz a machine like that can work well for years!!

NOW lemme give you my advice: for the price you will pay for that, you could buy a Digi 002, a tascam US-2400 an a rackmountable in and outs extra for your 002 if you need a lot of em. With the tascam you get 24 faders 100mm automated with the master and transport section, pan EVERYTHING this is tha bomb for mixing. Trust me this thing ain't a toy and it's bigger than your akai dsp : THAT would look monster in YOUR studio.

For tha Pro Tool : MAN you get THA standard of the industry software with HI-quality effects (man digidesign aren't joking when they do a product). PLUS pro-tool is great if you wanna incorporate sampling with MIDI. And shit pro tool is so powerful on edition, and you can upgrade it with so much plug-ins!!! It even take VST's!!! Pro tool really worth every penny it cost. About the noise generated by pc's, you get none cuz pro tool is an hardware box (only data is transfered to the pc by a pci card).

PLUS you stay around computers where we are all so familiar wo work with.

AGAIN that's my humble advice you take it or you leave it !!

Good shoppin!!