Interviews Alkota

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Alkotalogo-300x61.jpg

Alkota is a producer from Anchorage,Alaska. He has worked with some big names in underground Hip Hop such as Bekay, Shabaam Sahdeeq, Rasco, Planet Asia, Pep Love, Ruste Juxx, Sean Price, Sean Black, Access Immortal, Sirkle of Sound, Arctic Flow Records, Akream, Josh Boots, Soiled Seed, Phonetic, Bekay, The Molemen, Big Lo and more! Morever his music appeared on BET, MTV, VH1, 100+ TV shows. Now time for the interview.

Wattup Alkota?

Not much. Freezing up here in Alaska and grinding hard again with music.

Could you please briefly introduce yourself?

Im Alkota, a beatmaker/producer from Anchorage Alaska.

When did you start making beats?

I started messing around with making beats back in 1999 with fruity loops. I started taking it a little more seriously around 2001 to 2002 and started acquiring some hardware (Triton, MPC2000XL, etc). Then in 2003 I started producing local artists and selling beats. At that point I saw that I could make money doing something I loved and kept at it since. My goal is to constantly progress and keep it original.

How would you describe your style?

I'm not sure to be honest. I really don't listen to a lot of hip hop anymore. I love boom bap, heavy metal, and classic rock. So I think my influence in music comes from these three genres of music. My sound is typically pretty "Dark". I've been listening to a lot of electro and dub step recently, so im pulling some stuff from that. I think electronic music is dope, but its like anything. It's a trend and its getting played out, but im excited to see what type of music spins off from here. When I sit down to make a beat I don't go into it with any ideas, I just create whatever comes out. Sounds cliche, but I don't ever try to make a beat for any specific artist or genre of hip hop. I think that shit is actually lame. I'm down to produce someone, but its going to be my sound not something that im biting.

What's your beat-making process?

First and foremost digging! I always start by diggin for sounds/samples. Ill hit my record collection or grab some new records for samples. If that's not working Ill get on the Internet or check out some movies. Im always listening for samples and new sounds! I love to chop and flip. Ill usually sample my sounds into pro tools and clean them up if necessary. Then I pull them into Recycle to chop and then into Reason 5. I always start by playing with the samples and then add drums. When im fucking with the drums, I layer my kicks, snares, etc. If the beat sounds a little bland Ill add some extra software or live instrumentation to it. Sometimes sampling doesn't work, so ill pull out the Axiom 61 Key and try to create something original/sample free. Sometimes making beats is frustrating. If I can't bang something out that I like in 15 minutes I take a break and come back to it.

Who are your main influences?

Producer wise DJ Premiere, Alchemist, Nottz, Illmind, DJ Paul and Juicy J, Marly Marl, etc, etc. Pretty much anyone who can make a banger I respect. My biggest influence is a producer's style; I'm constantly blown away by how people can flip samples. Sampling is an art form just as much as playing something original.

How's the Hip Hop scene in Alaska?

Almost non-existent. There are some dope artists here, but the scene is overall lacking. There are the typical Dope Boy rappers with your Backpacker type dudes. We definitely have some real talent though, but the scene sucks. Shout outs to Josh Boots, Akream, Phonetic, Indefinite Edicate, and Soiled Seed, and Raw Beats. Check out all these dudes, they are crazy talented and local!

How did you hook up with all these talented artists? Does you being based in Alaska make things more difficult?

The Internet. I basically submit and solicit my beats to everyone! Bekay found me on Soundclick when I first started doing music. Rasco found me on Myspace and hooked me up with a dude in Cali that ended up buying beats who hooked me up with Pep Love and got Planet Asia on one of my joints. I put my shit out there and shop my music aggressively. Almost every beat I ever make eventually gets sold. It helps pay bills and keeps the music grind going. My website and SEO skills have been a major tool in marketing my music and branding myself. Without the Internet I can't say any of what I'm doing would be possible. Being based in Alaska doesn't make things difficult. It prevents me from shaking hands and taking advantage of local artists in large music hubs. So I have to work twice as hard to get my music to the right people. However, when people find out im from Alaska its instant love. I'm from a really unique place and do a lot of shit most people in hip hop wouldn't, wont, or couldn't do. I'm out hunting, fishing, hiking, snowboarding, etc. when im not working on music.

How's your current setup like?

Macbook Pro, Reason 5, Logic, Pro Tools, and some midi controllers. Im all software these days. I came from hardware and will never go back. Im not against hardware at all, I found that for me the workflow is faster and more efficient using software. I think coming from a hardware background (MPC2000XL) helped develop my sound and technique, but tracking sounds out and mixing them from the MPC into the computer is something that I don't miss. I love having everything inside the box and at my fingertips. People will disagree but I don't give a fuck how or what you use to make beats as long as it sounds good. I recently tried out the NI Maschine, but wasn't really impressed enough to stick with it. For now, Reason 5 and Logic is pretty solid but im open to new things.

How often do you dig for records?

Weekly.

Any new projects in the works?

Ive got a Digi 12" dropping with Access Immortal on Coalmine Records mid December. I'm doing another single/collabo with Ruste Juxx and Sean Price. I'm linking up with Shabaam Sahdeeq (SDUB13) on some joints, got some beats on Pep Love and Opio's up and coming album (Hieroglyphics). Triple Seis (Terror Squad) is using some beats and much much more. There is some interest in my music from some artists I don't wanna drop and jinx myself. I think 2011 is going to be a good year for music and me. I plan on giving it 110% instead of the 5-15% I have been in the last few years. Hopefully with some hard work and luck I can make something happen.

Thanks for your time. Any shout-outs?

Everyone using my beats and supporting me!

Active-1

ill o.g.
Respect. Alkota has been doing good things for some time now. The Legacy w/ Access Immortal is dopeness.

members online