all music NO HUSTLE !!

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i'm sure i'm not the only one around here who falls short when it comes to self promotion. I basically know if i self promoted just a little i could probably get distro deals etc. I have done alot of recording and playing of instruments have skills etc. and have been rapping daily since mid high school (i'm 22). Does anyone have lists of people that promote artists and shop their shit for them. I have a done a course in music composition and orchestration and have all the technical skills to score for film also (doing more classical or jazz music approach)

i also know there are people on here that self promote shamelessly and have a well directed dedicated hustle.

It would be great if on here we could combine our knowledge of sources and compile a list of people who shop your shit to be used as backround music in films on ads etc. or as backing tracks etc.

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
my first piece of advice for someone with no connections would be to go to your nearest big time studio, whilst hustling them ask them for a list of phone numbers and addresses of every label and distro around, they should have one, even if they want a bit of money to make a photocopy for you they should definitely have one, and they should definitely be willing to give it out.....cats like future music did it in england, put a book out with their magazine giving every label etc.... important studio's or sound engineering schools generally need them because its important for business or the future of their students

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
self promotion is my name, haha.

Set up a Myspace account, start email lists, make grips of friends on aol, yahoo, msn.. Constantly show your tracks to people, make a cd, go to every forum and get good with the people there..

And that's all internet shit.. you can do huge things without ever leaving your chair man.. start collavbing with every MC you meet (that's dope)

Outside the box, go to every hip hop show in your town. EVERY ONE. Hang out and talk to all the heads, make business cards, bring snippet demos, hand shit out to everyone.

The hustle is hard, and I dont think it ever ends haha..

Good luck

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
DJ Hoppa said:

Set up a Myspace account, start email lists, make grips of friends on aol, yahoo, msn.. Constantly show your tracks to people, make a cd, go to every forum and get good with the people there..

And that's all internet shit.. you can do huge things without ever leaving your chair man.. start collavbing with every MC you meet (that's dope)

Outside the box, go to every hip hop show in your town. EVERY ONE. Hang out and talk to all the heads, make business cards, bring snippet demos, hand shit out to everyone.

Good luck

Do you ever find time to sleep? lol

Alphabet

ill o.g.
Great advice, you gotta really put yourself out there so that you've got a better chance of being contacted for any and all sorts of opportunities

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
DJ Hoppa said:

Good luck

Good advice. I'd also like to add, if you don't believe in your work--don't think somebody else ever will!

Donovan

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sin:Aesthetic said:
my first piece of advice for someone with no connections would be to go to your nearest big time studio, whilst hustling them ask them for a list of phone numbers and addresses of every label and distro around, they should have one, even if they want a bit of money to make a photocopy for you they should definitely have one, and they should definitely be willing to give it out.....cats like future music did it in england, put a book out with their magazine giving every label etc.... important studio's or sound engineering schools generally need them because its important for business or the future of their students

You're a mah fuggin genius. I'm goin to Sweetwater on Monday (I know a lotta people there)

-Donovan

EDIT : MySpace.com is CRACK! Bout to get hella internet download sales from that (I got 900+ friends, who are 98% female groupies). I'll show you how a myspace page looks by linking you to my own, since I'm such a grand guy :-D http://www.myspace.com/donovancoley

S

Svenghali

Try to get to any industry conference. Vibe weekend just happened. Dynamic Producer is coming up as well How Can I Be Down.

OffSet

HIpHOP
ill o.g.
Self promotion work best by having your shit heard, like some i do what works best for me
Find a Dj who making noise on the street. i put a remix of some hot shit on my track and give it them. most dj wont refuse they like hot shit and new like a remix that no other dj will , remeber it got to da shit.

your best friend as far music goes Djs public/fans will make you some kind of promotion! make them work for you. your beat that is.

members online