Alot of producers don't add cuts these days.

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I'm always listening to people's stuff online, but never hear cuts on their beats. Anyone here scratch too? I just think it adds a dope element to tracks. Not all beats fit the vibe of having some cuts on top, but if it does it makes something so much sicker. Although Just Blaze isn't the most tech, he definitely has some skill on the turns and comes to mind today as a sick producer who uses cuts. (prolly my fav right now and for awhile till someone fresher comes around, doubt it tho' cause dude is fire) I haven't researched it, but do any of the battles here ever have a theme of scratched hooks or anything like that?

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Equality 7-2521 said:
you should be listening to Dj Shadow & DJ Krush.

I respect those cats for what they do, but not really my thing. I like to keep it a little more gangsta with my music taste. Shadow's got some programming skills fo' sho. Can't really front ya know. I just wish there were more cuts on "known" shit is what I'm trying to say. It seems like motherfuckers be puttin scratch "samples" on their shit instead of using turntables when I do hear it. That's straight up gay to me.

ill o.g.
not everyone is mixmaster mike, nor does everyone have turntables.

how is using some old record sample/loop not 'gay' compared to using some scratch sample? if all you need is a little bassdrum scratch as a little break in some smooth track i see no gayness at all if they just use a sample(s). many turntablist also record their cuts, which is then also a sample, which they use in their tracks. theres a difference between a produced track and something done live. everything sounds perfect, as opposed to when its live. this is because they can just sit there in the studio and retake and mix shit a dozen times till it sounds right.

i dont use scratch samples, i add my cuts with fls wave traveller. many people, including djs, ask me if thats me on the tables, so they dont sound fake or 'gay' either.

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey Mr. DJ

I still say the 'hook' killed the DJ. Everybody thinks that they have to have a catchy hook to make a hit these days. I still add cuts to most of my songs, whether over/under a hook, or I'll add a bridge and get loose. That's what cats look for when they come to me for beats, and even want me to cut something over their beats.

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Dysphuncktional said:
not everyone is mixmaster mike, nor does everyone have turntables.

how is using some old record sample/loop not 'gay' compared to using some scratch sample? if all you need is a little bassdrum scratch as a little break in some smooth track i see no gayness at all if they just use a sample(s). many turntablist also record their cuts, which is then also a sample, which they use in their tracks. theres a difference between a produced track and something done live. everything sounds perfect, as opposed to when its live. this is because they can just sit there in the studio and retake and mix shit a dozen times till it sounds right.

i dont use scratch samples, i add my cuts with fls wave traveller. many people, including djs, ask me if thats me on the tables, so they dont sound fake or 'gay' either.

i wasn't lookin' to flame you but it's dope when dudes have turntable skills. i never meant every producer needs to go buy some turns and learn how to scratch, but at the same time i'm a purist. it's almost the same as the fruity loops/hardware debate. it can go on forever and everyone has a stance. at the end of the day, music is music. but i still like me some ill cuts.

ALSO, it adds a raw element to a song if it's actually scratched. shit is expression for real not just a sound.

djryval said:
i do for our tracks, you can catch 2 songs here: http://www.myspace.com/inktroverts

and if you want to hear some friends of mine doing some really nasty scratches then check out the crew deepspace5 with dj dust doing the cuts, 4 tracks here:
http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...file&friendID=10930885&Mytoken=20050511061721
check out "talk music", the cuts come later in the track.

yo, the first link isn't working.
like the cuts on the second one.
pc.
-b

djryval

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
**bb_bling** said:
yo, the first link isn't working.
like the cuts on the second one.
pc.
-b

word, i just checked it and it was working ok so maybe the site was down or something. that ds5 junk is way above my skill level, glad you checked it out. i know those cats personally and they work pretty hard with their sound.

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
djryval said:
word, i just check it and it was working ok so maybe the site was down or something. that ds5 junk is way above my skill level, glad you checked it out. i know those cats personally and they work pretty hard with their sound.

yeah, that beat's dope too on "talk music". nice dusty break.
i'll check your stuff later.
pieece.

ill o.g.
**bb_bling** said:
i wasn't lookin' to flame you but it's dope when dudes have turntable skills. i never meant every producer needs to go buy some turns and learn how to scratch, but at the same time i'm a purist. it's almost the same as the fruity loops/hardware debate. it can go on forever and everyone has a stance. at the end of the day, music is music. but i still like me some ill cuts.
peace.
b-blizzle

yeah werd, i got ya. (i didnt really feel flamed either so its cool :p, sorry for my 'flame'.) I do have some basic turntable skills, if i didnt my cuts in wave traveller would sound like shit and i wouldnt get turntablist asking me if thats me, and saying the cuts are ill. software actually got me on this tip, i found myself playing with traktor for fucking hours on end just playing some beat on one deck, and cutting and scratching on the other. shit has made me wanna go out and get some tabes and shit and get started. spent weeks endlessly repeating those vids on djbattle.net (A-Trak fucking pwnz), played with some tables at some friends house, i even picked out some starter hardware for when i get some money. im copping me some Citronic PD1s as a tables, and saw a nice behringer mixer to go along with it (researched a bit on behringer dj mixer with good crossfade).

i have gained mad love for this shit man, its more than just cutting and scratching. theres so much shit you can do with it, so many sounds you can make :D

peace

C

Carpe Diem

id love to be able to scratch on SOME my beats, but no turntables hence....but i know a few djs who are up for doing a lil bit here n there once the tracks are finished...

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Dysphuncktional said:
i found myself playing with traktor for fucking hours on end just playing some beat on one deck, and cutting and scratching on the other. shit has made me wanna go out and get some tabes and shit and get started.
i have gained mad love for this shit man, its more than just cutting and scratching. theres so much shit you can do with it, so many sounds you can make :D

peace

word, my homies and i just play q & a for hours to one beat trading every 4 or 8 bars. it's fun to answer back in scratches like dialogue. it's the best practice imo. but it's like some chronic masturbation steez. yeah, man if you're fuckin' with traktor i'd definitely buy some tables. nothing beats the feeling of fucking with real records.
peace out dys.

DJ Increment

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
-JG- said:
Scratching is just another sound
yo whats up man!!! skratching is like playing a g.tar or drums even eg..beat skcratch!!can pretty much cover a hole lot of sounds &instruments !!!dudes dont skratch on their beats plobably cause they cant!!!but i mean i wish i could play keys but i cant >>>need to pratice up on it....

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
**bb_bling** said:
Although Just Blaze isn't the most tech, he definitely has some skill on the turns and comes to mind today as a sick producer who uses cuts. ?

Just is a DJ and very dope at that, so his element of adding cuts is coming from that set of skills, just like being able to make dope records, not the most technical I heard that said about premo too.....to I dunno there's lot of people that cant emulate these not so technical dudes though even if they tried so I cant agree about the level of tech, but DJ's that are real DJ's (not just putting dj in their producer name) have a one up on just a lab producer because they can test their records or ideas on a club to see how people react, but anyhow I am with you on this, more cuts are better if used correctly, there is plenty of gear and software out now so you can make some decent cuts, as far as themes with cuts I dunno I dont know if thats been done or not, i been in like every comp on here except the last few and I dont remember cuts or Turntablism being a theme and is actually an element I can recall being a part of hip hop music anyhow, that would be a very dope idea though......Do you DJ?

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Cuts are definitely missing from a majority of today's beats. But one group that is over-looked in that department is UGK. Pimp C had cuts on every UGK album and not just on one or two songs either. Cormega has cuts on his CD's too so there are still producers trying to keep this thing alive, it's just not as obvious as the mid 90's when it was a little stronger.

members online