Alternative rap in the South

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikemaster G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Every since Southern rap music has skyrocketed in the mainstream in the 2000s, it's hard for the few who wanted to put out music with a different type of sound. Only one group from the South achieved success with doing so: Outkast. So my question is - Is it possible for other artists following behind Outkast's footsteps in releasing different styles of music without being overshadow by today's Southern rap craze?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I dont know but Im with you bro all the way cuz Im stuck in the epitomy of ATL wanna be town and it sux..
Originality is to put it super mildly "frowned" on..Mildly like a nuclear bomb goes boom.
we need to start a net label or somthing and pool resources and sho ffolk that it aint ALL fuckin CRUNK and snappy and ignant titty bling rides..
Holla at me!

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think so. i think now with the industry in transition, and indie is the route artist are starting to take, now is the time for people to spread the word about these indie artist and their music.
time to get back to "word of mouth" promotion. i can think of a few names, but it might be best to start a seperate thread of "artist you're feeling" where we can list myspace pages,website,etc.

if that's all good with the Fade-dinhi.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I dont know but Im with you bro all the way cuz Im stuck in the epitomy of ATL wanna be town and it sux..
Originality is to put it super mildly "frowned" on..Mildly like a nuclear bomb goes boom.
we need to start a net label or somthing and pool resources and sho ffolk that it aint ALL fuckin CRUNK and snappy and ignant titty bling rides..
Holla at me!

Heads in the ATL need to look at what's happened to New York. Atlanta is quickly becoming a mockery of itself.

Hip Hop in general is becoming a mockery of itself. In all regions.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Heads in the ATL need to look at what's happened to New York. Atlanta is quickly becoming a mockery of itself.

Not at all! Atlanta has some b.s out there and some fake gangsta wanna be dope boyz, but one thing remains constant in Atlanta and the south, "dance music"! As long as we keep the mix even as far as dance music and the b.s. we'll be fine. If New York had that mix they'd still be on top or at least on the same level as the south. Don't get it twisted....music that you can dance to is what keeps the south a live and kickin'. What's the use of having clubs if the people don't have music they can dance to? That's how we got into the game and if all else fails that's how we'll stay. New York artist have just figured this out with arist like lil mama. Fat Joe's most successful song to this day was lean back, why? Because it had a dance attached to it! The A will forever put out songs with a dance embedded so we're safe from going through what New York is going through.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
As long as we keep the mix even as far as dance music and the b.s. we'll be fine. If New York had that mix they'd still be on top or at least on the same level as the south. Don't get it twisted....music that you can dance to is what keeps the south a live and kickin'. What's the use of having clubs if the people don't have music they can dance to? That's how we got into the game and if all else fails that's how we'll stay. New York artist have just figured this out with arist like lil mama. Fat Joe's most successful song to this day was lean back, why? Because it had a dance attached to it! The A will forever put out songs with a dance embedded so we're safe from going through what New York is going through.

Re-read your statment. What's missing? Hip Hop music and innovation, save for Outkast and a few others.

You are hailing "dance" music and clubs. What about the streets? What about homeboys driving in their Lac's? Gangsta's don't dance, 'member? What about some old fashioned head nod sh!t. There's no diversity in the ATL right now, and that's bad. Look how quickly crunk and snap music ran it's course.

Outkast and Goodie Mob got into the game and "dance" music was far from what they were making on their first couple albums.

You also are arguing a point with Lil Mama as a positive. IF that's the future of hip hop, it is dead.

Lean Back was a street record, it has a similar effect as Dre's "Nuthing But A G Thing" heads go crazy when you play it.

Also the "reign" of the ATL coincides with the current industry crisis of records not selling. You saw what happened when a non-cookie cutter artist, Aesop Rock, was exposed to MTV's audience: he moved units.

Meanwhile, the ATL and down south artists being shoved down their throats aren't moving sh!t. Even #1 records are tallying up mediocre sales.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
blah blah blah! You're not in my city so you're speaking on here say.

1) Your mediocore sales is false. No...they're not going platinum and some aren't even going gold but they don't need to. Why? Most don't have "major" record deals. Selling 100k - 300k as an independent signed to somebody like Koch is major money! Do your home work. Luda sold 50k on the streets of Atlanta before Def Jam came calling. 50k @ 10 bucks a pop! U DO THE MATH ON THAT!

2) Hip Hop here is alive and kicking. We have a diff't form of hip hop that'll never be recognized or accepted by Notherners. And frankly we don't give a damn. We're not trying to do u...we're trying to do us. Hate it or love it! There are niggaz down here without deals making more money than catz with major deals. Step outside the box and stop looking at billboard to determine if we're getting it in down south. I know what I hear in the clubs and the street in my neck of the woods. If you don't live down here you don't have a clue of what goes on down here!

3) ALL RECORD SALES ARE SUFFERING...IT'S NOT JUST HIP HOP! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SOUTH. MF'S ARE OUT OF WORK AND LOSING THERE HOMES. THIS IS A BUSH PROBLEM NOT A HIP HOP PROBLEM...LOOK AT THE STOCK MARKET...OIL PRICES ETC. EVERYBODY THOUGHT THAT COUNTRY DUDE WOULD SHUT YE AND FIF DOWN BUT HE DIDN'T DO SHIT! BOTH OF THEM BLEW HIM AWAY IN SALES! REBA MCINTYRE ONLY SOLD 300K HER FIRST WEEK AND SHE'S ONE OF THE BIGGEST STARS IN COUNTRY MUSIC. THE INDUSTRY IS HURTING AS A WHOLE!

And Aesop did what on the strength of who? MTV? AH HA HA HA...REWIND! Do your homework....you're just yappin! HIS NUMBERS ARE HORRIBLE!
Last week Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass was up five spots to #97, with a likely thanks to MTV for holding him down with "artist of the week" publicity. But it seemed that once the week was over, so was the buzz. Aesop dropped to #169 this week selling 4k (29k total).

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Being inbetween NYC and ATL Ill say this, NYC is the shit! the Birth place the streets , its awesome its its own nation really.If you can make it there you can make it anywhere.
ATL though, isnt going anywhere even if the rest of the world stopped buying ATL music today.
Ive never seen a city that supports locals like ATL does, doesnt matter if you are never heard outside of ATL they'll like you..
I WISH my city supported like ATL does..
Before I even heard of TI. or anyone here ever heard of TI, he was HUGE in Atl.
I was like"WHO?" when he came out at the Geogia dome, and the place went nutz, I was actually worried about the upper deck collapsing because it was literally bouncing with the people as he preformed.I knew in that moment that my City certfiably Sucked and would never be like that for they own artists(Fuck you Charlotte) and that Atl has love for they own like no other!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Being inbetween NYC and ATL Ill say this, NYC is the shit the Birth place the streets , its awesome its its own nation really.If you can make it there you can make it anywhere.
ATL though, isnt going anywhere even if the rest of the world stopped buying ATL music today.
Ive never seen a city that supports locals like ATL does, doesnt matter if you are never heard outside of ATL they'll like you..
I WISH my city supported like ATL does..
Before I even heard of TI. or anyone here ever heard of TI, he was HUGE in Atl.
I was like"WHO?" when he came out at the Geogia dome, and the place went nutz, I was actually worried about the upper deck collapsing because it was literally bouncing with the people as he preformed.I knew in that moment that my City certfiably Sucked and would never be like that for they own artists(Fuck you Charlotte) and that Atl has love for they own like no other!

More true words have never been spoken Relic(or typed)! That's what people cram to understand about the Atlanta. When you can sell 50k units in your own city why the fuck would you care about anybody else buying your shit, orr getting a record deal at that. Dudes down here sign major record deals just to sqander that up front label cash, get drop'd from the majors and get rigth back hot in our own streets "independently". Atlanta is a "nation" within a city! Madd people are moving down here for a reason..."we get to the money" PERIOD! Dudes make big paper stacks just doing shows in Georgia, Ala, South kack and Mississippi. Ain't no Borough beef....known of that whack shit....we just get it in. Country life....lol..the only life for me!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
More true words have never been spoken Relic(or typed)! That's what people cram to understand about the Atlanta. When you can sell 50k units in your own city why the fuck would you care about anybody else buying your shit, orr getting a record deal at that. Dudes down here sign major record deals just to sqander that up front label cash, get drop'd from the majors and get rigth back hot in our own streets "independently". Atlanta is a "nation" within a city! Madd people are moving down here for a reason..."we get to the money" PERIOD! Dudes make big paper stacks just doing shows in Georgia, Ala, South kack and Mississippi. Ain't no Borough beef....known of that whack shit....we just get it in. Country life....lol..the only life for me!

That being said though the ATL market is super saturated now because literally everybody and they grandma raps now..
Everybody has a wrap on they vehicle and everybody is doing something, which is kind of a downside because now how the hell do you stand out...

But this thread is about Alternitive rap in the south, which I do cuz I do all the styles I can and it would be cool to hook up with some other southern cats and do some alternative shit..
At least we know we can market it in AtL!

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
blah blah blah! You're not in my city so you're speaking on here say.

1) Your mediocore sales is false. No...they're not going platinum and some aren't even going gold but they don't need to. Why? Most don't have "major" record deals. Selling 100k - 300k as an independent signed to somebody like Koch is major money! Do your home work. Luda sold 50k on the streets of Atlanta before Def Jam came calling. 50k @ 10 bucks a pop! U DO THE MATH ON THAT!

2) Hip Hop here is alive and kicking. We have a diff't form of hip hop that'll never be recognized or accepted by Notherners. And frankly we don't give a damn. We're not trying to do u...we're trying to do us. Hate it or love it! There are niggaz down here without deals making more money than catz with major deals. Step outside the box and stop looking at billboard to determine if we're getting it in down south. I know what I hear in the clubs and the street in my neck of the woods. If you don't live down here you don't have a clue of what goes on down here!

3) ALL RECORD SALES ARE SUFFERING...IT'S NOT JUST HIP HOP! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SOUTH. MF'S ARE OUT OF WORK AND LOSING THERE HOMES. THIS IS A BUSH PROBLEM NOT A HIP HOP PROBLEM...LOOK AT THE STOCK MARKET...OIL PRICES ETC. EVERYBODY THOUGHT THAT COUNTRY DUDE WOULD SHUT YE AND FIF DOWN BUT HE DIDN'T DO SHIT! BOTH OF THEM BLEW HIM AWAY IN SALES! REBA MCINTYRE ONLY SOLD 300K HER FIRST WEEK AND SHE'S ONE OF THE BIGGEST STARS IN COUNTRY MUSIC. THE INDUSTRY IS HURTING AS A WHOLE!

And Aesop did what on the strength of who? MTV? AH HA HA HA...REWIND! Do your homework....you're just yappin! HIS NUMBERS ARE HORRIBLE!
Last week Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass was up five spots to #97, with a likely thanks to MTV for holding him down with "artist of the week" publicity. But it seemed that once the week was over, so was the buzz. Aesop dropped to #169 this week selling 4k (29k total).

I don't live in Atlanta. Please enlightened me and put me on to some ATL music that is diverse. I already got everything the Dungeon Fam has put out. So who's really doing it. Who's making innovative music.

Also, Aesop Rock is on an independent label. He sells cd's at his shows. He's doing things just like ATL heads (independent). He's making money despite his "mediocre" sales.

Blah blah blah? Let's recap your argument

"Step outside the box and stop looking at billboard to determine if we're getting it in down south." When your argument against Aesop Rock is based on billboard results. He's independent and doing his thing making money, he doesn't have to sell a lot to see good money. He's just like heads in the ATL who make a lot of money on places like Koch.

"Hip Hop here is alive and kicking. We have a diff't form of hip hop that'll never be recognized or accepted by Notherners." I am not from up North. I leave in a geographically bastardized area and have been listening to "southern" artists for my entire life.

"We're not trying to do u...we're trying to do us." Being that Atlanta has the largest Black Population in the country. Maybe all the stereotypes of us are true, black people are all the same. I've visit my cousin in Atlanta every year. The current commercialized and copycat sh!t coming out is just a fraction of the lifestyles there.

"ALL RECORD SALES ARE SUFFERING...IT'S NOT JUST HIP HOP! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SOUTH." That's true but your a moron if you neglect to acknowledge the obvious. What type of music is being shoved down the public's throat? What makes up a majority of hip hop releases now? Watch Suckah Free and Rap City...you'd think only southern acts are making music.

"And Aesop did what on the strength of who? MTV? AH HA HA HA...REWIND! Do your homework....you're just yappin! HIS NUMBERS ARE HORRIBLE!" I thought numbers don't mean anything, especially for independent artists. For him to crack the top 100 in billboard being an independent artist is pretty dope considering ATL heads signed to places like Koch don't.

Once again what are you arguing? Cause basically what you're saying is that Aesop Rock is a clown, but if he made dance music and was from Atlanta he'd be a misunderstood head doing a different form of Hip Hop that wasn't accepted by northeners. Reciprocate that....

You are what you hate.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
lol....so now you're trying to put words in my mouth. I never called Aesop a clown, his flow is Ill. Since you want to bend and twist shit to fit your agenda have a converstation with yourself. I'm in the A..I live here, I don't just visit my country cousins. Carry on soldier!

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So what's the purpose of your post?

If it was to occupy the thoughts of a fellow Illmuzik member while he was at work so time would fly by.... then thank you.

Me and you tend to disagree on everything, but it's enjoyable going at it.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
My post had, and has no purpose. Everything you've said is the Gospel. Don't worry, the shit you hear from the south now is on the way out. Just hold your breath and wait on it. I'll send flowers to your wake!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
HHHMMMMMM.. LDB I take you aint never heard myth before....

Lemme put it this way..Both of you have points, aint nobody hating on anyones city or nothing(except mine) the point of the thread is, lets do some ALTERNATIVE stuff here in the South.
Which can consist of people as far away as England for as much as I care.
BUT my southern Brova can we Stop beefin with NY Please?

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
why are you so salty? You keep saying you live in da ATL while pointing out that I don't. Put me on the game. Who's hot. I'll be sure to check them out.

I'm serious on that tip. I've always been receptive to all kinds of music. When I meet people in or from other cities I always ask them to put me on to local heads, or what's hot in their part of the world.

I'm probably the only person in the world that still listens to Cool Breeze's album. Where my dawgs is at?

Who's hot in Atlanta I should be checking for?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Every since Southern rap music has skyrocketed in the mainstream in the 2000s, it's hard for the few who wanted to put out music with a different type of sound. Only one group from the South achieved success with doing so: Outkast. So my question is - Is it possible for other artists following behind Outkast's footsteps in releasing different styles of music without being overshadow by today's Southern rap craze?

lol...let me get this back on topic!

And the answer IMHO is................................NO!

It iz what it is. Don't like it, don't support it. boycott all clubs and all radio stations that play it. Slap ya man if you see him bobin' his head to a T.I.'s "big thangs popin". Shoot your sister if you catch her doing the "soulja boy", Superman that hoe, beat her unconcious! Put foot in your Grams ass if she yells out "totally dude" while listening to "party like a rockstar".

Then find a cave right beside Bin laden and set your studio up there(cop a generator for electricity, you'll need that)...oh yea...take all your boyz witcha! Bang out hitz for the baboons and lizards. lol

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
why are you so salty? You keep saying you live in da ATL while pointing out that I don't. Put me on the game. Who's hot. I'll be sure to check them out.

I'm serious on that tip. I've always been receptive to all kinds of music. When I meet people in or from other cities I always ask them to put me on to local heads, or what's hot in their part of the world.

I'm probably the only person in the world that still listens to Cool Breeze's album. Where my dawgs is at?

Who's hot in Atlanta I should be checking for?

You don't need that from me....ask your "country cousins", they're a better source for that. I could careless if you listen to anything coming out of the A. There's plenty other music out there. The A isn't the hip hop music Mecca..but of course you know that. Don't look to the "A" for shit....look elsewhere.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You don't need that from me....ask your "country cousins", they're a better source for that. I could careless if you listen to anything coming out of the A. There's plenty other music out there. The A isn't the hip hop music Mecca..but of course you know that. Don't look to the "A" for shit....look elsewhere.

Wow. Are you sure your on the correct site?

Status
Not open for further replies.