American Gangster Remix Album: What Beats Defines The "jay-z Sound"?

Mikemaster G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
We all know that Jay-Z's "American Gangster" has been upgraded to an acappella version a month after the release of the album. As a result, many beatmakers had been making numerous remix albums, and I have to say that most of these beats shoulda or coulda have been replacements to a few of the songs on the album. Therefore, I was wondering; if I was going to make a remix album of a sure-to-be classic like "American Gangster", how would you, in your opinion,create the perfect Jay-Z's "sound"? How would it make you(the listener)realize that once you hear Jay-Z starts rapping, you know definitely how the beat supposed to sound like. To summarize it completely, what music patterns should be accompained in a beat with Jay-Z rapping along it?

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
Jay has a tendency to make epic music but that can be attributed to Just Blaze and Kanye as of recently with the exception of the AmericanGangster album. When Jay first came out his music was kinda stripped down and more simplistic and BadBoy influenced. i would say now to complete a proper remix of a Jay-Z track u just need to match the emotion of his words and his voice. i think American Gangster was dope because of the POST production. Thats pretty much what a remix is too, u get to analyze and build around a song. Everyone gets to be PUFF this time around. When i used to do my remixes i would usually match a beat i already had and then make any necessary adjustments to optimize the sound. Somebody in the industry (a brooklyn nigga and Jay-Z fan) recently told me that my beats sounded like "American Gangster" type beats and i understand what dude was aluding to but i really dont hear it, i hear emotion in my music but, i say that to say this. If it sounds right then rock wit it, there is no PERFECT Jay-z sound, if there was he would make his own beats. son is just attracted to good music (no Kanye pun intended). Beats need heart.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
The thing about Jay is that he sounds good over any style of beat, 100% composed or sampled. As long as its a hot track Jay will do his best to rip it. Snoop is the same way in my opinion. Not all rappers can do that.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
The thing about Jay is that he sounds good over any style of beat, 100% composed or sampled. As long as its a hot track Jay will do his best to rip it. Snoop is the same way in my opinion. Not all rappers an do that.

Thats a dope comparison because Snoop can fit over anything but in my opinion he shoulda stuck wit Dre where as when Jay was fuckin wit Dre i feel like he needs to stick wit everyhting else, id rather hear Jay over some B!NK shit than over some Dre shit.

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
please stop remixing this. EVERYBODY is remixing it. to me, that sucks the fun out of it. and i love remixing whole albums, but not when everybody is doing it. its good practice i guess, but at the end of the day, you're just wasting beats. i'd rather hear 20 different songs with dope emcees and dope beats, than 20 versions of the same song.

sorry for interrupting...

i think jay sounds good over crispy snares and synths.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Normally when I do a remix I try to do the complere opposite of the origianal track. If the origianl was sampled, I try to create a composed track and vice versa, if composed I make a sampled version.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
lots of harmonicas and harps wit a little fiddle play

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
please stop remixing this. EVERYBODY is remixing it. to me, that sucks the fun out of it. and i love remixing whole albums, but not when everybody is doing it. its good practice i guess, but at the end of the day, you're just wasting beats. i'd rather hear 20 different songs with dope emcees and dope beats, than 20 versions of the same song.
sorry man, i've already flipped the album, if it's any consolation, i intended on staying away from Jay-Z's records for my remix project, but i had 3 beats that imo, fit 3 of the songs perfectly, and with a lil persuasion, i went all the way in on the album..lol.

I agree with Guevara, i think the plan would be to match the "emotion" of the song, for remixing any song/album. as far as a Jay-Z sound, i'm not sure if there is one. Jay is one of the few who can truely spit some hot shit (when he wants to...) over a beat that's garbage (Wu can spit like that too). it's just in those times, the beat overshadows Jay and you really don't get to dig in to what he saying (unless you listen more for the lyrics than the music). I prefer to hear Jay over simple, or basic production (i prefer the fresh but familiar sound, but without all the bells, whistles, crashes, etc.). as dope as the music is from reasonable doubt per se, the music seem to have played background to allow Jay to take front stage and rip shit ridiculous. alot of Jay's latest work (with the exception of American Gangster, minus "i know") the music seems to headline and Jay is left having tryin to come up with ways to make you interested in what he's saying (dumbin down lyrics, or using the "sing song" hooks as examples). as far as a Jay-Z sound? i guess i would say soul, just because of the "emotion" factor, but i wouldn't limit him to just soul, with the right music, Jay will kill it.

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
anyone else feel the neptunes beat did not belong on the album?

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
anyone else feel the neptunes beat did not belong on the album?

i didnt hear it but i didnt think the neptunes beat shuda been on the black album either..everything wuz hard and crisp and they came wit there pussy sounding beats....again... whatever happen to that million dollar beat they did that wus suppose to be "the greatest beat ever for Nas"?