And I Thought You Were Balling!

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
When this vid was out, there were no 360 deals. BIG difference. On the real, I would rock fake jewels. I do that now. lol. I would be smart and bank that money and spend what little I can. Cut down expenses. Most of the money I would spend would go to marketing and promo. Nowadays, if you got some dough, fuck a label.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Thats smart! But if had BG money, I would buy anything that I wanted...I wouldn't buy 1/2 mil neck pieces but I would own a few exotic sports cars and a maxed out crib w/built in studio. 50 Billion strong, fuk being modest...lol.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
doesnt even make sense to me to get signed these days. You can market yourself on the internet for free, and do you really want to owe someone a huge debt and let them own rights to YOUR work? Fuck that ill make them a contract where they can associate my name with their label for 100 grand ;P

I couldnt agree more.

what i dont understand is why must music production cost so much? and why do vids hafta be over 100 grand? do u really need that many employess doin something?

also, bein from NYC, when i look at homes from other states, im buggin out how cheap the prices are everywhere else... its like 250-300 grand can get u a nice lil castle compared to out here... if ur not the type to use ur money smart, ur gonna be broke. i be damned if u see me buy a fuckin 100,000 dollar watch and leave myself with pennies... u must be outta ur mind to do dumb stuff like that.

da relic

HAHA Dude, down here a quarter milllion dollar house is just that.
Its what you would expect that much money to look like. Its BIG.
I tripped when Shadeed came to the crib telling me I had a big house, lol, that joint is average (dont get me wrong its HUGE compared to the apts I always lived in , but it aint nothing compared to what they have around here.

Shit if I could get up the way wages and live here it would be great!

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Look, these problems will occur over and over again. No matter what.

When you take a person out of the 'hood and tell them to sign a contract for a "million dollars," they don't have the business acumen or general knowledge to appreciate what that actually means.

I don't blame the artist, it is the artist's management that is to blame.

Also, when the artist gets in a room with the record company, they don't know that the record company is actually willing to negotiate and plays hardball at first. A lot of artists are simply happy a record company will sign them, that they don't elect to play hardball. Their management just wants a steady stream of income, so the management will be happy to agree to a contract-- or negotiate weakly.

There are so many societal expectations of rappers and musicians to look a certain way that they have to "front" and essentially bankrupt themselves to keep up appearances.

Of the billionaires I met in my life, they both had similar characteristics-- they wore down-to earth clothing, like a Polo shirt and jeans or just a regular work shirt and slacks. None of this bling/Rolex garbage.

They were very focused, analytical and questioned EVERYTHING.

That's the problem, people don't QUESTION ENOUGH. They don't question terms on a contract, or why they have to look a certain way.

QUESTION EVERYTHING in financial or business matters because you will AVOID BEING TAKEN.

They also don't care about offending people when asking a question -- why? Because it's business, not personal.

It's the people who make $50,000/yr and live beyond their means who act like big shots-- or anyone with a big line of credit. They front with the Ferraris.

One billionaire I met actually lived at POVERTY LEVEL when he was building his company. He put all his money INTO HIS COMPANY not into stupid chains and some dubs.

Think about that.

Obviously, a lot of you will never meet a billionaire, but please download or check out this book and don't be stupid with your money:

The Millionaire Next Door
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Thomas-Stanley/dp/0671015206"]Amazon.com: The Millionaire Next Door (9780671015206): Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko: Books[/ame]

Also, if you hate your career-- my friend who switched to a different career kept talking about this book:

The Start Up of You
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307888908/

If you don't understand office politics and how to succeed in a dog-eat-dog world, get this book:

48 Laws of Power
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Laws-Power-Robert-Greene/dp/0140280197/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335383609&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The 48 Laws of Power (9780140280197): Robert Greene: Books[/ame]

If you are horrible at time management:

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (only read the time management/prioritization part-- the rest of it doesn't gel with the 48 Laws of Power":
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Habits-Highly-Effective-People/dp/0743269519/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335383698&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (9780743269513): Stephen R. Covey: Books[/ame]

If you can't afford any of that because you can't spend a little over $100 in Kindle books to make your life better, then you don't really care.

Take the next step, read the books and then you won't be stupid when it comes to managing your music career and your life. Follow the instructions and you will achieve things you've never achieved before.

Finally, have common sense. Use your street smarts.

what i dont understand is why must music production cost so much?

I personally think its to keep control of the industry.
Your average Joe doesnt have 100 grand to spend on a video, and another 100 grand to spend on advertising.
By keeping everything so damn expensive, they can try to limit the success of "undesirables", ie anyone they dont own contractually and independents.

Look, these problems will occur over and over again. No matter what.

When you take a person out of the 'hood and tell them to sign a contract for a "million dollars," they don't have the business acumen or general knowledge to appreciate what that actually means.

I don't blame the artist, it is the artist's management that is to blame.

Also, when the artist gets in a room with the record company, they don't know that the record company is actually willing to negotiate and plays hardball at first. A lot of artists are simply happy a record company will sign them, that they don't elect to play hardball. Their management just wants a steady stream of income, so the management will be happy to agree to a contract-- or negotiate weakly.

There are so many societal expectations of rappers and musicians to look a certain way that they have to "front" and essentially bankrupt themselves to keep up appearances.

Of the billionaires I met in my life, they both had similar characteristics-- they wore down-to earth clothing, like a Polo shirt and jeans or just a regular work shirt and slacks. None of this bling/Rolex garbage.

They were very focused, analytical and questioned EVERYTHING.

That's the problem, people don't QUESTION ENOUGH. They don't question terms on a contract, or why they have to look a certain way.

QUESTION EVERYTHING in financial or business matters because you will AVOID BEING TAKEN.

They also don't care about offending people when asking a question -- why? Because it's business, not personal.

It's the people who make $50,000/yr and live beyond their means who act like big shots-- or anyone with a big line of credit. They front with the Ferraris.

One billionaire I met actually lived at POVERTY LEVEL when he was building his company. He put all his money INTO HIS COMPANY not into stupid chains and some dubs.

Think about that.

Obviously, a lot of you will never meet a billionaire, but please download or check out this book and don't be stupid with your money:

The Millionaire Next Door
Amazon.com: The Millionaire Next Door (9780671015206): Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko: Books

Also, if you hate your career-- my friend who switched to a different career kept talking about this book:

The Start Up of You
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307888908/

If you don't understand office politics and how to succeed in a dog-eat-dog world, get this book:

48 Laws of Power
Amazon.com: The 48 Laws of Power (9780140280197): Robert Greene: Books

If you are horrible at time management:

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (only read the time management/prioritization part-- the rest of it doesn't gel with the 48 Laws of Power":
Amazon.com: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (9780743269513): Stephen R. Covey: Books

If you can't afford any of that because you can't spend a little over $100 in Kindle books to make your life better, then you don't really care.

Take the next step, read the books and then you won't be stupid when it comes to managing your music career and your life. Follow the instructions and you will achieve things you've never achieved before.

Finally, have common sense. Use your street smarts.

Well looks like this decides the debate about whether you are Michael Jackson. Unless he possessed the little known talent of speaking from the grave. (this debate was sparked when you dropped off at the same time MJ died) it was funny.
Good to see you back here, Im currently using your advice about press kits. When you spoke about that guy who sent you a demo, but he had all his shit together, image, press kit, theme etc.
I wonder, what ever came of that guy?

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Got me a lil $850 a month spot in the city with cool neighbors that I live and work out of. I make real good money, I work with major label artists at my place. Could I buy something nice? Yes, will I? Fuck no. Income could be gone in a month.

The great irony is that most rappers talk about been bosses, and having sustained riches, etc, etc, but actually don't have any way or plan on how to make it happen. Unfortunately 95% NYC rappers fall into this slot.... Maybe they feel entitled or put great stock in spitting a "hot 16th" which is clearly useless...

http://wwww.hotbeats4less.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hotbeats4less