Any dj's in the house?

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
specifically party rocking dj's...how much do you guys charge to do your shit? I've done a couple parties as a present to whoever's birthday it was etc but i never thought about charging because i never dj'ed that consistently. after seeing the good reaction, i'm thinking of throwing myself out there for the various frat parties around my college but i have no idea what would be competitive as far as a rate goes...

can anyone shed some thoughts?

stay up...

Opera Populare

Graduate Of The Game
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i used to charge 50 a hour, so i would come out to 200-250 a night about two to three times a month. It was good till i burned out and just got tired of the scene. Parties still aren't the same for me, if i go to a party now it's just to see what the DJ is doing and then i get disgusted cuz i see they are plain out trash no blending at all just droppin song after song and screaming before the next one drops

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
it's hard to get good money from frat parties and such if you're a dj. i have a lot of dj friends that rock parties and clubs, they all say the same thing it's pretty difficult to really get substantial money from party people.

It'd be worth trying to spin at a club or something, one of my dj friends is making over 3grand a month spinning at clubs around the way. shit is mind boggeling.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
What up fam,
Been djing since 91, full time from 92-96, part time 97-present (day jobbin it the last ten years).
If it's for a close friend / dream gig / full creative freedom, do it for the love and don't focus on the money. Get a meal, get cab fare, get free drinks, etc.
If it's corporate, or a private party of people you've been refered to, or a dickhead nightclub owner breathing down your neck telling you what to play, then get every possible dime you can get. Figure 10-30 per hour at a cafe/restaurant/clothing store, figure 20-100 per hour at a bar or nightclub (depending on the size). If it's a gig where you need to bring turntables sound, I'd go all in (djing + equipment) for 500-1000. Never done a wedding (never wanted to LOL).
One thing I've seen from 92-99, you could make nice cash because knowing how to DJ was a unique and sought after skill.
Nowadays (since about 99), everyone and their mother is a "DJ" (I use the term lightly, as the art of blendin/mixin/cuttin is dying).
Have fun bro, rock the house...

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
its only worth it, for you and your clinents if you bring a system. in UK peeps dont hire the djs they hire the systems and the djs come with it, you got no hope if you are a single artist IMO, i would never ever pay anyone to rock partys ive put on, never, never, never, bad idea, even if you fucking DRE roll up with out a big (at least 8k rig) no1 would want it....

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
i had the same plan...i'm glad this thread started, I'm satisfied with my day job, but wanted a part time gig too...I decided I would start DJing by the end of the year to supplement my full time gig and stay on the music scene here in houston....I was just wondering if it pays off as a side hustle...I don't want to put too many irons in the fire at the same time, but to me, its something i should learn to complete my experience and knowledge in music anywayz...I've produced, rapped, ran an indie label, but DJing could be a nice 200-300 a weekend in the pocket...

members online