any tips for laying down drums....

that kid

Keep Diggin'
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
what are you doing to drums any secrets? i usally just use compression or eq them any other tips will be helpful.......any tips on laying drums to samples? how do you do it......

that kid aka L.a also known as lyrical assasin.

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
I usually jus eq my drums to give em more life but i hardly every compress them until i am mastering. If u are havin troubles layin down drums jus start of with simple patterns like:
kick-hat-snare-hat-hat-kick-snare-hat
then add bits to it to liven it up like:
kick-hat-snare-hat-k-kick-kick-snare-kick
and jus keep it loppin and addin st.uff until u are happy. keep it simple if u are havin troubles, u gotta get the basics first

if u wanna add drums to sample u gotta get a perfect loop first then jus lay em over the top, it should be easy cuz u have a perfect loop and everythin should be on beat, if not jus play em in with a MIDI keyboard or somethin so they are.

peace

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I do my via keyboard - no more dot clickin/button pressin. Sounds alot better imo.

Also - its always to have atleast some variation...i try to have an atleast a 4bar loop.
but 3 kinda of 4 bar loops work best....like

Verse - 1st Half
Verse - 2nd Half
Hook

Atleast for composed beats. Nothing Dramatic - but to kill the monotony.
And building the drums up in a 8 bar intro always helps...4 bars for sampled beats.

ill o.g.
EQ, Layer your sounds, turn off the quantize, use effects (Reverb, Delay, Compression) Filter them; Hi-pass, low pass, or notch.

E

Equality 7-2521

wavez said:
do a copy of ur drums and compress it really hard, then mix it with the originals =)

excellent tip. this trick makes the drums sound fuller.

tip: dont put the snare where everyone else puts it. your allowed to place it elsewhere.

ghostmusic

ill o.g.
Sometimes I Copy the loop lay it onta second track ( sometimes just kick and hi hat ) and add a slight delay, or tape delay, gives the loop a bit more swing. You can also off set a second loop of the kick drum it provides a sence of depth. With both of these though the mix is everything dont let the main drum track get swallowed.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
i just layer what i sounds good.. pop it in the sampler set the drum kit to Keys, turn quantize off and go at it

Tips on Eq and layering?

1st understand the basic's of both then from there you should know what to do to get whatever sound your trying to get or closer to what ur trying to get

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
learning different layering techniques is also good and open closed hi hat techniques i.e
learn your adsr (with drum sounds especially the sr bit are really important and allow you to drastically change the dynamics of a sample without it sounding unnatural) as it is generally a better tool for shaping dynamics than a compressor (when you're working with samples)
with layering cool things can be done by applying different adsr to each layer being real precise with how much you mix in of each source and pitch changing individual layers seperately
and then there are compression eq and different delay based effects (verbs echos flangers etc)
learn busing shit and always put delays verbs etc. in a bus so you can eq or compress just the wet signal
like was said mixing in compressed stuff can be good this can be done as earlier mentioned or by setting up a bus and mix a compressed version
but really like nnxt said just learn your fundamentals what your really doing when you use compression eqs verbs etc. and then you have a better chance of producing the sound in your head

members online