Any tips on overcomposing??

Opera Populare

Graduate Of The Game
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I'm new to reason so im really impressed wit the synths modules especially wit extra refills but this leads me to get carried away. I know it should be just as simple as dont do it but when workin wit synth tracks and sampled tracks i find myself trying to add tons of instruments like strings here, piano there etc etc.. and I wanna kno how do u guys go about keeping things to a minimum while still making the tracks sound as full
as possible

Good looks as always yall

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I feel you, its more of only adding whats needed, sometimes after I compose a part I listen to my track and mute one track at a time, to see if something is really needed, its more of experimenting and also duplicating tracks that are done nicely, using the same instruments and using them at the right time....panning I guess would help fullness too..just my thoughts..good luck

O

open mind

hard question dude.really hard to answer.i would suggest to compare your stuff with "commercial" tracks to see if u got too much going on.

or better ask your self does this sound i added necesarrly make my beat better or would it work without it too.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah im startin to get that problem too lmao...

what i do... is i turn my beat up and start freestyling to it....and if i hear that its kinda hard because there are too many elements, or if there is one certain element that is distracting, i'll either put it in a different part of the song, or scrap it

O

open mind

adding some accapela to see how the beat works with vocals helps too.u mostly notice then if the beat is distracting the vocals or not.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
dont add sounds just to add em make it fit or ull end up wit a irratating melody like that new jim jones song ...the notes just dont make sense

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Well here is an idea, Choose a certin number of instruments and determin on what type of beat you want to make,

[Example] i make a lot of dark beats really melodic. so i use a piano and violins. what i will do is start the beat with the typical drums for a dark beat which is extremely basic, then add a simple melody with low violins, copy the melody and past into a new track using a low bass, this gives that melody more depth and fullness without O.Dn the beat.

then a catchy lead piano and some stabs with a higher violin. i have a beat with this koncept on myspace check it out and see if you understand what i mean its call method of suicide. but this is just an opion so dont stick wit it or anything. GOOD LUCk!

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you aren't great at mastering it will be hard to have a lot of instruments at once unless you get lucky and their frequencies already fall in place. There are no rules to music, if it sounds good it sounds good but if you are trying to mimic a particular style I would just suggest comparing it to songs of the genre you are going for.

prose1

ill o.g.
Over composing

Less is more!! Really all you need is a backing track(drums,guitar,piano,) everything else is embelishments. This is what I've been told. It kind of makes since, I mean the beatles originally only had a four track to record some of their classics. But then it depends on the type of crowd your aiming at.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Also remember that simple = catchy for the most part, any mtv or bet top 10 song is more than likely going on a basic beat. You have to leave room for the artist to work with if you want that club vibe.