Anyone here live in Florida? A few questions.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I can't give any details yet, but it seems I may be moving to fl. Those that live there, do you like it? Are hurricanes a real concern often? If you have kids how are the schools?

What about aligators, snakes etc? Do you like not having a winter? Thanks!

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
damn... u scared like a mofo... lol.. nah.. i understand... natural disasters is a main concern for me too, i couldnt live near the water out there. i'd hafta be in Gainsville or Ocala, just to feel safe in my head... and hurricane season is even long than b4 these days... but, im pretty sure that will be all 4gotten once u see all those shorties out there, if ur single... and no more cold winter nites!

da relic

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I go every year for like a week. Mostly lots of rain. thats all I can speak on tho

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
I've lived in Orlando almost 2 years and I like it. Hurricanes haven't been an issue since I've been down here, the worst thing about FL tho is the driving. Too many people don't know how to drive, and everyone seems like they're in one giant rush to get somewhere. Toll roads are a bitch too.

Alligators aren't a concern unless you live near water tho. Definitely like not having a winter cause I've lived in MN 18 yrs of my life, nice to have a change for awhile.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Man where to START?!

Lemme start by saying while Florida is technically one state there are two distinct regions. South Florida which is made up of 2 and a half counties, the southern half of Palm Beach County, and all of Broward (Ft. Lauderdale) and Miami-Dade counties.....then there is the rest of the state which will here on after be referred to as Florida

Florida is a very laid back, and VERY SOUTHERN state. So you get the good ole hospitality, racism, generosity, and conservative cocktail that makes the South, the South. People talk slower, and take more time to get to where they have to go. Florida is very modern....even in the slowest of towns like Ocala, you still have all the regular big box amenities that make the average American feel civilized (Wal Mart, Best Buy, Olive Garden etc.). People are decent, look you in the eye type folks. I like it ALOT up there but its a lil too slow, maybe in another decade it'll be more my speed.

South Florida is not laid back, nor is it relaxed....You CAN find plenty of BEAUTIFUL places to relax, don't get me wrong....it IS the tropics after all, but the heart beat of the region is a lil coked up. People are assholes, It gets worse the further south you go. But its a very special kind of asshole, not you east coast asshole, that is something different. For example, driving on the highway if you put your blinker on to change lanes you will start a race...meaning the entire lane will speed up and not let you in...It doesn't sound that bad right? but try starting your day like that everyday...FIGHTING just to get to work. By the time we get out of our cars EVERYBODY is pissed and thats how South Florida starts its day.

The result of the blinker issue is that NOBODY uses their blinker cause they don't want to start a race so in order to not die on I 95 one has to be able to develop a lane change intuition because all the trophy wives SUCK at drive their escalades.

ok

Hurricanes?? Yes they are a concern every year! Especially if you live on the coast. But hurricanes are in our culture so its not really that big of a deal, most people throw parties the night of a storm cause we know the roads will be out so, no work right? I mean Miami got hit by a meaner storm than Katrina around 15 years ago...My wife and her family lost their house, they filed their claim and bought a new one. Its the trade you take for being able to hang out on the beach in January dude. I just bought a home in a flood zone (lol the state is a flood zone) and it worries me when a system develops but you gotta understand that these storms being part of our culture lends us to being prepared for them. Basically down here man, if it aint a Category 5, it aint a big deal...we have the best building codes in the country in South Florida....NOTHING is made of wood.

Schools? Hope you can afford a private education for your child, if not your gonna wanna be paying real close attention to them while they are in public school cause they are gonna need YOU to do most of the work. Our teachers and schools are some of the worst in the country. The thing that messes it up the most for the kids is the FCAT test. It is a standardized test that children have a horrible time passing because the regular school lessons do not prepare a child for the type of problem solving and comprehension questions that the FCAT is comprised of. This leads the teachers to teach the FCAT test and tricks to pass it rather than teaching your child anything of real value. The FCAT is how teachers are assessed so naturally that test and that test alone will be the driving force in your child's education if they are in a public school....You can see what a nightmare that is.

Gators? You gotta go looking for them bro...I've been fishing in the everglades all my life and have never had a bad one with a gator....and every trip you see about 40 of em in the canals....I mean once every decade some lady's poodle will get ate or someone will go out to swim some morning laps only to find ole Wally chillin in the pool. They are not a danger to you though.

Do I like NOT having a winter? Hell yeah bro? are you kidding me? There are two season down here, wet and dry....thats it. Its awesome trust me....that is if you can handle the humidity....See alotta places get hotter than Florida, but no where gets as wet....Its a different kind of oppression, it is what i grew up in so I feel uncomfortable in dry places...Alotta newcomers cry ALOT about the water in the air...It'll keep ur skin nice though, which is a plus if you have a hot wife.

U moving to Florida or South Florida?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I would be moving to Sunrise, I really cant say any more because I clever person could figure out who I would be working for and since the deal is still up in the air and could still fall through I cant say more than that. Is sunrise any good? All the schools in fl that bad? And a private school is not out of the question.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Depends on where in sunrise brova....I mean there is Sunrise and Scumrise lol...Nah man Sunrise is a pretty decent area...Its a suburb "out west" and yeah bro all the schools suck like that cause FCAT is statewide, I went to high school in sunrise...Private is the way to go if you can afford it. Whats good about Sunrise is a lot of it was built after Hurricane Andrew so you dont got to worry about any of it blowing away in a storm. You are fairly close to the glades but no gators are gonna eat your babies.

Good luck with your deal man! If you make the move holla at a playa....I stay in Ft Lauderdale, I'll get ya familiar.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
LouBez...hit it right on the head, DP..I cosign his assessment..

Been in FL almost 5 years now....

ESPECIALLY with the schools...

The FCAT is something that is pretty ridiculous...Your kid could pass all year, but if the student fails the FCAT..they get held back...Lol...Yeah I know....

But yeah..Believe it or not...with the lone exception to 1992 when Hurricane Andrew hit, FL is pretty prepared for hurricanes, not really much to worry about. You get very advanced warning for hurricanes n shit like that...so if in the case you have to evacuate...they give you ample time to get your shit together and bounce if needed.

Storms are a part of life out here in FL...Not so much were I live (more tornadic activity out here it seems like). It's not as if we get hit with Katrina every summer...and most hurricanes are minimal and with building codes in FL, they can handle most storms....

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

Queenofex

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Hurricanes should be the last issue that you really have to worry about just deal with that when something comes along. I mean geesh they name every hurricane now to make it seem more dramatic then needed. Thats the media for you. I lived in tampa and i've mostly just seen a lot of heavy rain and I lived their for four years.

Can be real chill and laid back its really like a retirement state.

I think LOU touched a great deal of things but i'd have to say the worst is DRIVING. Floridians can't drive they are maniacs on the road i mean howww...whyyy would you make a right turn from the farthest left turning lane in front of ongoing traffic. lol that was deep to see on many occasions

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
sorry Queen, but hurricanes have been named since the 1950s... i dont think 4 yrs is enuff time to gauge hurricanes... i think a person with 15-20 yrs is best... and the driving sounds real crazy.. i wonder how's the road rage out there, bcuz i would be pissed.

da relic

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the worst is DRIVING. Floridians can't drive they are maniacs on the road i mean howww...whyyy would you make a right turn from the farthest left turning lane in front of ongoing traffic. lol that was deep to see on many occasions

Yeah, thats one of my favorites! But nothing beats the guy who speeds up to pass you then hits his breaks as soon as he gets in your lane...

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
I lived in tampa. loved it. now that school is over im thinking of going back. one thing is that 90% of tampa is people from NY so i was right at home. its big city living small city way of life.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Yea I go to tampa every year. things move soooo slow lol. Hard to believe they're from NY

tekboi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
South Florida is overrated IMO. It's the shit when you're visiting, but living there ain't no different than living in new orleans really.... unless you're rich enough to live on south beach. Everything outside of south beach sucks balls. The beach and the woman are the best thing about the miami area. I don't know how faithful you are to your wife, but it sucks to be married in miami.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
It takes a while to get used to. I used to go to publix and the cashier be all slow. I wanted to tell her to hurry the fuck up and just throw that shit in a fuckin bag like they do at pathmark. Also you can buy beer in the supermarket just like NY.

members online