Anyone thought of this

trykome

CEO DFM Promoter/Emcee/Turntablist /Producer-(+)-
ill o.g.
Has anyone thought about picking up a victrla or an old 78' player? I always see a ton of these records at the thrift store i dig at The thought has crossed my mind there could be some Ill sounds on them things well lemme know if you have thougth about it or if you dig em up

Try What TryKome

trykome

ill o.g.
yeah i thought about that one but i was thinkn maybe the sound would be a bit more crisper on an old school player im gonna look into it thanks for the info

Try What TryKome (my hair that is )

ill o.g.
I never heard of 78's. Thanks for the knowledge.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
Studiophile1234 said:
I never heard of 78's. Thanks for the knowledge.

damn make feel old why dont you

trykome

ill o.g.
Im gonna have to pick up a portable anyways so i might as well pick up the PT-1 i fee like those records are forgotten about left in thrift store to die lol so i think its time for me to bring em back from the dead thanks for the info im glad i started this thread

trykome

ill o.g.
so did anyone ever pick up 78's and sample em?

The Mastermind

This Illuminati Be Illin'
ill o.g.
I've messed around with samples from that era, you just have to find the right sound.

You'd be better off using a new turn table to play and sample 78s. The older phongraphs are pretty rough on them.

I think it's probably a bit of a fantasy that those old 78s are being ignored. There are plenty of collectors out there of 78s. The ones that sit around the junk stores are mostly easy listening stuff and probably not worth the time. The jazz, blues, R & B, doo wop & rockabilly all get snapped up.

One big advantage with samples of that vintage are that the copyright has probably expired.

ill o.g.
I wouldnt play 78s with your regular stylus, unless you want to damage them of course...

Also if its from before the 50s, your regular phono preamp with standard RIAA curve equalization will cause the shit to sound different (not in a good way), since they didnt have the RIAA standard back then.

So all in all, yes, i have thought about buying an old tt capable of playing 78s.

The Mastermind

This Illuminati Be Illin'
ill o.g.
You are right about the stylus disphunktional, but if I had something historical on a 78 I'd be playing it on a new turntable to look after it. The weights and balances are far superior and create less friction between needle and record.

Don't use alcohol based cleaners either, they destroy the shellac.

On a side note, I went and visited this guy a few months back to buy some records. The whole top floor of his house was like an old record museum. He had blues and jazz 78s all over the place. He also had an incredible array of old phonographs, wax cylinders and edison machines. He didn't play his discs on old machines, he only played them on his new gear. The sound was damn good as well.

trykome

ill o.g.
awsome i started this thread 2 years ago and now look its alive again lol i've been looking for old blues and doo wop 78's and you are right they are hard to find just makes that part f the dig more exciting

ill o.g.
my pops got alot of em... and theyre AAAALLLL mine... :)

nice....

blues and jazz and shit?
I see some 78s while diggin but its mostly classical

And on the stylus ish, you def dont need an old ass tt to play 78s properly. You can buy a brand new 78 cartridge/stylus, just swap em around before playin, or use some spare deck with it always equipped so you can just go straight to the goods =D.

members online