anyone use Flams in there drums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm looking at ReDrum in Reason and it has that "Flam" option that I'v enever used...

anyone here use Flam in there drum patterns or nahhh?

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nnxt said:
Um yes. id ont do it in redrum i do it in nnxt manually but yes i use them on my drums

dope, I should have known you'd use NNXT for it! :p

I don't even really know what Flams sound liek but I'm trying to get an idea :s

are they commonly used in hip-hop? and are they used primarily on hi hats, kicks, snares?

finally, do u know any examples of songs that use Flams that I can peep?

thanks family

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
its not hip hop, its chill dnb, but most of omni trios early career tunes have perfectly applied flam in them...plus the man is just one of the kings of technical drum lines anyways

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
N.U.G. said:
dope, I should have known you'd use NNXT for it! :p

I don't even really know what Flams sound liek but I'm trying to get an idea :s

are they commonly used in hip-hop? and are they used primarily on hi hats, kicks, snares?

finally, do u know any examples of songs that use Flams that I can peep?

thanks family

I use flams occasionally. I have to agree they're not commonly used in hip hop. Basically a flam is when you have a quieter note [grace note] played just prior to the main hit. This is normally done on the snare - but if you listen to real good drummers they often incorporate flams and stuff into fills. It's hard to describe how it should sound - its sort of like a 32nd note behind the main hit, but maybe a little closer to the main hit...

Sorry if that's a crap explanation...I don't have a mic so I can't record my drums.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
^^^ Exactly lol @ the guy above u saying its not Hiphop get the fuck out .. all depends how ur using it

Listen to some BattleCat NUG he uses Flam's on his Snares.. I personally use them on Snares, hats Snaps etc

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nnxt said:
^^^ Exactly lol @ the guy above u saying its not Hiphop get the fuck out .. all depends how ur using it

Listen to some BattleCat NUG he uses Flam's on his Snares.. I personally use them on Snares, hats Snaps etc

I wasn't saying it wasn't hiphop, I was just saying its something that you don't find used in a lot of hiphop tracks, and as I said I've personally used flams on snares and ruffs on hi hat patterns from time to time, simply to change things up a little.
Flams definately sound cool, sometimes they work really well with layed back low tempo drum patterns [possibly because they're more obvious at lower tempos]

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nnxt said:
^^ reread i wasnt speaking to you i said the guy above.. cmon say it with me above....u yea him not u

LOL, I apologise man...not that I had a go at you or anything. My bad anyway bro.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yeah no doubt...Flam is a common attribute of playing drums on the regular...dude probably just doesnt realize that its that prominant on a regular basis.

I use flam all the time in my drums, i think if i never used it my drums would sound all choppy and rigid, it helps to add a more human feel in my opinion, just gotta be carefull where u use it, like for example - a bass kick "rarely" has flam thats at least very audible, tho ive heard kicks that have flam as well everyonce and a while and it sounds cool to me!

M

masada2502

yeah

all the time bro.i love how the old school producers did it

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks for the helpful info guys :)

can y'all think of any specific examples of songs I can peep that contain flams?

thanks fam

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
i think them dirty south songs got the feature, but they dnt do it the sameway. i mean ive never used it, i always just play the stuff in. but it could save alot of time.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
jmaafia said:
dude......

thanks man, I just peeped that track. Interesting how hey used it on that beat...

I'd still appreciate more examlples if peeps hear any :D

thanks!

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nnxt said:

you are a fucking idiot...read my whole post...n.u.g was looking for examples of who uses it...i said omni trio uses it but he doesnt make hip hop, he makes chill dnb

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Sin:Aesthetic said:
you are a fucking idiot...read my whole post...n.u.g was looking for examples of who uses it...i said omni trio uses it but he doesnt make hip hop, he makes chill dnb

I read your whole post before i quote and Posted.. See seems like NUG was looking for examples of Flam used in Hiphop Songs lol and here you go with the well its not hiphop But.. thats why i said get the fuck out i know what ment was all for the good i was being Sarcastic ( well i was thinking it as that)

O well tho i coulda worded it alittle better heh

* All depends on how your using it was suppose to be go with the "listen to some battlecat"*
^edit

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ok...still basically, i think its crazy for anyone who wants to learn how to make better music to restrict their listening to hip hop....i mean if a perfect example of something exists in other music, bite the bullet, expand your catalogue, and learn from other forms of music

generally the best producers have wider ranging tastes, it doesnt make sense to only learn from a small facet of music

and thats why i said, ok its not hip hop but...saying that if he wants to learn about it, there is always that option

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sin:Aesthetic said:
ok...still basically, i think its crazy for anyone who wants to learn how to make better music to restrict their listening to hip hop....i mean if a perfect example of something exists in other music, bite the bullet, expand your catalogue, and learn from other forms of music

generally the best producers have wider ranging tastes, it doesnt make sense to only learn from a small facet of music

and thats why i said, ok its not hip hop but...saying that if he wants to learn about it, there is always that option

word!

I'm open to some other ish

I think that other thing was a misunderstanding. I appreciate the input from everyone that replied to this post. I knew what Sin meant when he said what he said.

peace flam... I mean peace fam :D

Status
Not open for further replies.