Apc40 - ableton performance controller

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
LDB - this thread is all for you homie, i know you'll dig this!
Akai just announced a performance controller dedicated to Abelton Live called the APC40.

http://www.akaipro.com/apc40
apc40_web_med.png

From Akai's site:
Ableton Live performance, perfected.

The APC40 is the world’s finest Ableton Live control surface. Ableton and Akai Professional worked in a joint partnership to make the APC40 the perfect Ableton Live control surface. Whether you are an electronic-music performance artist and Live is your canvass, a DJ using Live to mix tracks, or a traditional musician using Live on stage or in the studio, the APC40 is designed for intuitive, powerful control.

DIRECT DESIGN
Because Akai Professional and Ableton designed the APC40 for Live, you don’t need to map its controls to talk to the software. Just connect your laptop to the APC40 with its USB cable and you're ready to make magic. The APC40 is class compliant, so you don't even need to install drivers. And if you’re an advanced Live user, the APC40 gives you the ability to remap every one of its controls to suit your own style.

VIRTUAL VIEW
The APC40 talks directly to Live and Live talks directly to the APC40. This exclusive bidirectional communication makes the APC40 an advanced controller in that it can receive feedback from the software and display it on its clip matrix of 40 triggers and on LED rings surrounding each knob. The clip matrix gives you an instant view of clip status: what's loaded, what's playing, and what's being recorded. Each state displays on the matrix in a different color so you can get a quick picture of clip state. You can shift your clip focus and get an overview of the clips you have loaded for your set. The APC40 has 16 knobs, each surrounded by a ring of LEDs. These LED rings make seeing your settings a breeze on dark stages, indicating the currently selected parameters’ values. This advanced visual feedback makes performing with the APC40 focused more on the music and less on squinting at the computer screen. In fact, you might even forget that the computer is there!

PREMIUM CONTROLS
Ableton selected Akai Professional as a partner because of its leadership position in great-feeling controllers that are rock solid, rugged, and precise. From the legendary MPC series that changed the way music is made to the industry-standard MPD and MPK controllers, Akai Professional is revered by musicians, DJs, and producers everywhere for creating the feel that powers their creativity. The APC40 is built with a rugged, metal chassis and slip-proof rubber detailing. Knobs and faders are solid and precise for pinpoint performance. It even features a high quality, replaceable crossfader.

CREATIVE CONTROL
The APC40 comes with a special edition of Ableton Live Lite so you can use it out of the box even if you’re new to Live. There's also a free patch that upgrades full versions of Live so if you're already a Live user, you can take full advantage of the APC40.

The APC40 has two banks of eight knobs. The first set controls Global parameters so you’ll always have instant access to your main sends, pans, and other essentials. The second bank of eight knobs is dynamically reassigned to the Track you select. You can control eight track parameters at a time, and as you switch channels, the Track knobs follow your focus. You also get special clip-status views and feedback that only the APC40's matrix can display. The matrix is not limited to only 40 clips: you can scroll and shift, enabling access to an unlimited number of cells.

The APC40 has a wide range of controllers. The eight Global knobs can access four banks of controls; the eight Track knobs control nine different track parameters each. This gives you a massive total of 72 controllers that are dynamically reassigned. Channel faders, bus faders, and a crossfader give you smooth control of key values. You have even more control power with special controls including Tap Tempo, Tempo Nudge, record enables, solo/cues and two assignable footswitch inputs.

Designed in partnership with Ableton, the APC40 is the most advanced Live controller for the most advanced performers.

Dont think this was posted yet - at least it didnt come up in the search engine? Anyways, delete if needed.
STEEZ

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
LDB - this thread is all for you homie, i know you'll dig this!
Akai just announced a performance controller dedicated to Abelton Live called the APC40.

http://www.akaipro.com/apc40
apc40_web_med.png

From Akai's site:

Dont think this was posted yet - at least it didnt come up in the search engine? Anyways, delete if needed.
STEEZ

u sumabastid....u know I'm jacking off to this right now don't u? FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I'm gonna go blind...unless this is a hoax...and if it is.....be round ya way in 24hrs with the k and banana clip!

Seriously though, 1- u know I'm coping it and 2- I hope they come out with a studio version of the same thing. U may be ablet to use it in a studio application as is but it doesn't read as though u can. It's more for live performances and DJ'ing....once again....I STILL GOTTA HAVE IT!

This going up as a screen saver right now...going to the celly as well....lmao

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Somebody whip out the label maker.. ya gonna need this to remember what u assigned to that glowing square button(s). WOW!

Wrong! You'll see it on your monitor. The major "glowing square" section is just the clip launch. If you use Ableton you'll be very familiar with it. This is not stand alone, it works in conjunction with Ableton Live. As you move around the controller you'll see what you're doing on your computer screen. Instead of having to mess with your computer keyboard and mouse you have all the controls for Ableton on the APC.

Louie Lou

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Wrong! You'll see it on your monitor. The major "glowing square" section is just the clip launch. If you use Ableton you'll be very familiar with it. This is not stand alone, it works in conjunction with Ableton Live. As you move around the controller you'll see what you're doing on your computer screen. Instead of having to mess with your computer keyboard and mouse you have all the controls for Ableton on the APC.

Yeah I know it works in conjunction with ableton, but its still lots to remember.
Here goes a link to the live demo.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/01/17/ableton-live-controller-unveiled/

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Yeah I know it works in conjunction with ableton, but its still lots to remember.
Here goes a link to the live demo.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/01/17/ableton-live-controller-unveiled/

looks a lot like the Ableton screen that I'm used to working with so I don't think I'll have any problem feeling it out. Won't take any more getting used to than any other controller imo. The only way to freak your software of equipment anyway is to learn it inside and out. Most of the buttons and knobs you should know like the back of your hand for a speedy work flow. Especially if you work with other artist or producers. Can't be stumbling around with its business.

If you don't know what things do no amount of labeling will help you.

I just told my wife last week that I wouldn't buy another piece of hardware for a year, just had to retract that ))lie((. I'm getting this and upgrading to 8 the day they drop!

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
when is 8 supposed to drop?

p.s. this kind of reminds me of the monome
http://monome.org/

Word, i thought the same thing when i first saw this. I think Akai may have taken some notes from the Monome, especially since it was being exclusively used with Ableton Live.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Mine is in route! Should be here in a day or two....cheaaaaaaaaaa

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
tell us what you think of it as far as production goes (meaning not in a live setting)

I don't plan on DJing with it until I know it like the back of my hand so working it in a live setting won't happen for months. I can already see how on the production end I can be more creative. After I get my clips and scenes set up like I won't them I should be able to "go crazy" with change ups, effects, plugins etc without having to touch my mouse or computer. That is what I'm looking most forward 2.....this controller and Ableton 8 should be really fun and really creative.

I'll hit the thread up in a few weeks to a month to let yall know what I think about it.

members online