Are We Too Old For This Game?

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I feel like an old dude trying to anticipate youth culture. Constantly battling myself to push out stuff I used to think was hot for what could be hot in the future.

It's kind of tough for an older guy to continually go against his own generation in order to stay relevant.

How do you guys cope with getting older and still having the heart to stay in the game?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I do it because in my position, I don't have to be in the spotlight and can produce without a face.

But yeah...It's part of getting old in the game...such a youngindustry...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I do it for me! That's it...I like the competitive nature of the Battles, I like creating something hot and new from something old and dated. I like that it creates some of the most intense arguments and builds knowledge at the same time. This shit is just fun when cats don't take it overly serious.

I like what mono said as well.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
When it comes to Hip Hop music, we need to understand that it is still young. Kool Herc, Caz, Melle Mel...they are all still with us. With that being said, where is the adult hip hop market???? I always thought that would be a great marketing move. They have classic rock stations. Why not classic adult hip hop? I passed out some music to some co workers. Both young and old were digging it. The younger cats surprised me the most. Didn't think they would like it. But the older cats were like, "This is what I want to hear everyday on the radio."

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I feel like an old dude trying to anticipate youth culture. Constantly battling myself to push out stuff I used to think was hot for what could be hot in the future.

It's kind of tough for an older guy to continually go against his own generation in order to stay relevant.

How do you guys cope with getting older and still having the heart to stay in the game?

Make music you enjoy, only. Make music that you're actually comfortable living with. If you're making other people's idea of good music, you will forever be a guest in their home, and at the mercy of their decisions/whims.

Love what you do, and do what you love.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I work with young artists and they keep me up on whats going on, Carolina Cuts provides me with a good mix from the underground as to what it going on as well.

As far as "They have classic rock stations. Why not classic adult hip hop?" I said this a few years ago and was about laughed off the forum . Now the stations exsist and , like I said there IS a market for it.

I have found lately though that some of these younger cats really have an appreciation for the way we used to do it, and are taking the subject matter and whatnot and putting thier own spin on it, additionally a deeper appreciation for the sampled style sound.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
I work with young artists and they keep me up on whats going on, Carolina Cuts provides me with a good mix from the underground as to what it going on as well.

As far as "They have classic rock stations. Why not classic adult hip hop?" I said this a few years ago and was about laughed off the forum . Now the stations exsist and , like I said there IS a market for it.

I have found lately though that some of these younger cats really have an appreciation for the way we used to do it, and are taking the subject matter and whatnot and putting thier own spin on it, additionally a deeper appreciation for the sampled style sound.

I like what you're doing with Carolina Cuts. I think you found a good spot where you're able to work with new talent without trying to try to "make it in the industry".

I embrace getting older and try to evolve by getting smarter through just staying involved with all that is new and changing while keeping an open mind to it all.

It's also important to define success on your own terms. We all can't go Platinum. I made a conscious decision in my mid-20s to evolve from artist/producer mode to someone who operates behind the scenes. I think it was the best decision. I now am invited to go on radio/tv to talk about entertainment way more than my music would've done for me. I can do this phase of my life until I'm 70. I don't think being an artist would've worked for me going into the middle ages of life.

members online