Are Your Standards Too High?

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
im getting pretty much the same feelings. But i tend not to delete them and see if i can come back to them later.

But yall sayin it dont get any better as i improve?

ill o.g.
Jimba Frosty said:
..Honestly if ur spending more then an hour making a beat and u dont have much down (like just a melody and drums) ur spending too much time on it..

i didnt know there was rules for makin beats

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
damn, i'm always looking at cats saying they take 20 minutes to bang out a beat. i wish man. i am constantly changin it up to get the best result. like the beat isn't hard enough or good enough make people go "damn". i suffer from never bein satisfied i guess. it is a good rule to walk away when you're thinking to hard. just forcin' shit never works.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
i know what u mean frost.. don't take me to long either.. especially when i got the sounds already arranged into kits... Plus i mean its a damn beat 2-8 bars if work the rest is just copy and pasted.. and from there you add on too the duplicated parts or drop Elements.. for build ups hooks etc...

anyway, nah i dont think my standards are too high if i made 20 beats and 8 didnt sound up to par with my others ( dont matter what style) they gettin deleted or tossed into the cheap 200 lease pile.. simple as that if i keep hangin onto tracks that dont exceed or even match my current skill level thats a Set back.. the more you pamper and make excuses for shit the longer it will take to reach where you are trying to get

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
yeah i agree with jimba frosty nnxt... beats dont take long to make man... start with a concept in your head and transmit it through your eqipument. or listen to records for a sample that inspires you and get an idea... put it down.... funny shit is alot of the artists you let hear your beats will want beats you think are "aight" and ones that you think are bangers they will pass on. So its worth it to keep productivty high and dont delete your beats.

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Nnxt said:
the more you pamper and make excuses for shit the longer it will take to reach where you are trying to get

damn, that's the truth. i need to apply that to my work ethic.

ill o.g.
You have to be confident in your work, if you wanna make it in this world. Not just beats, thats with everything you do. Never fall into the trap of producer's envy. Comparing your tracks with the next man's track. Most of every drum trackz nowadays is simple, thats what people want. They just wanna bob their head, or dance. If you dont like your track, make a new one and leave that one for later.

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
You are always your own worst critic. You know where you want to go with a track but sometimes you just can't get there. Equiptment, Software or Creativity...it's hard to actually design that PERFECT beat.

hobgoblin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I read somwhere that Madlib thinks 90% of his beats are wack.

your ability to turn over beats quickly (to an extent) depends on your equipment and your sample library and how well organized it is IMO.

Cloudchamber

ill o.g.
Holmzini said:
.... funny shit is alot of the artists you let hear your beats will want beats you think are "aight" and ones that you think are bangers they will pass on. So its worth it to keep productivty high and dont delete your beats.

I agree with this. Its funny, but the tracks that I'm completely fired up about tend to fall on deaf ears. On the other hand, I might play some stupid corny beat that took 5 minutes to make, and MCs fall all over themselves to "flow on it." Heh, its seriously frustrating--but it happens every time. Don't delete 'em.

members online