Article Comments: Less Is More!

T

Toivo

"Less is more" is certainly on the same block as finding the perfect sample. I'm from the school where if you get the right sample that a) it can stand just fine on it's own without a lot of chopping and distortion just some kicks and snares and b) you can let that thing loop with only a couple changeups without losing anything. The best examples of this are stuff like Geto Boyz "Mind's Playing Tricks On Me" the entire Fugee's Score Album, and even synth stuff like TI's "Why You Wanna" (don't front that's a dope organ piece)

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
"Less is more" is certainly on the same block as finding the perfect sample. I'm from the school where if you get the right sample that a) it can stand just fine on it's own without a lot of chopping and distortion just some kicks and snares and b) you can let that thing loop with only a couple changeups without losing anything. The best examples of this are stuff like Geto Boyz "Mind's Playing Tricks On Me" the entire Fugee's Score Album, and even synth stuff like TI's "Why You Wanna" (don't front that's a dope organ piece)

The problem is unused samples like that are so much more rare nowadays, not to mention sampling licenses have gone through the roof since those songs we're made, with the exception of ti

S

Svenghali

It took me about 4 years to understand how to "season" a track. I used to let dudes like Tony Galvin (Shut -Up by Trick and Baddest Bitch by Trina) and David Hobbs (Mr. Mixx of 2 Live Crew fame) listen and they would always tell me, it's tight if you don't have any plans for an emcee to rap on it. And Galvin always used to say "less is more". I used to use anywhere from 20 to 30 some-odd tracks easy. I wish I had this article back then. Good article.

T

Toivo

The problem is unused samples like that are so much more rare nowadays, not to mention sampling licenses have gone through the roof since those songs we're made, with the exception of ti

No doubt that sampling licenses have gone through the roof especially for the typical funk/soul stuff, but finding unused samples is easy. There is soooo much music out in the world that nobody has ever thought of sampling that it's not that hard to find stuff, it just requires a little bit of patience and you can find some of the hottest shit ever. Hell, I went to Tower Records going out of business sale and picked up a dozen cd's that are so obscure that noone would even think of chopping them.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This is true but its mostly true because many producers don't master well enough (hell I don't either) to fit tons of sounds in without clashing frequencies and still leave enough room for the artist. Its all about the melody though. You can have quite a few tracks and instruments going but if you try to go crazy with the melody you constrict the artist to that same melody. If you know how to rap yourself and can mimic styles (east, west, south) then try freestyling over your beat as you make it. Often times you will find a drum track and one instrument is sounding hot so you can take it from there.

D

DRTYFINGAZ

This article and all your points are very valid. I tend to find... and this is just my opinion, that some of the more classic hip hop tracks tend to be simple. Whether it was a sample or not it was always composed in a simple manner. I think that's why we aren't coming across more as many classic albums today versus the past.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
right, nice article, and i agree with most of it, cept your good and bad waveform bit, because firstly if you limit in mastering the wave is gunna be chunky, even chunckier that the one you showed.....but i do do that trick, you can see if the mix is good by looking at the waveform, but for me im looking for a kinda symetry (sp) not how big the form is...

when opening any gorillaz tracks they are all big, as is most UKHH, old skool like the hill and tang are smaller, but i take that as them not having the mastering tools we have today, i dunno, less is more, but look at shadow or RJ, that FWORD remix is stacked with instruments, but it still sounds dope. I think it comes down to the old addage, if it sounds dope its dope full stop (NOT PERIOD- haha).....

right, nice article, and i agree with most of it, cept your good and bad waveform bit, because firstly if you limit in mastering the wave is gunna be chunky, even chunckier that the one you showed.....but i do do that trick, you can see if the mix is good by looking at the waveform, but for me im looking for a kinda symetry (sp) not how big the form is...

when opening any gorillaz tracks they are all big, as is most UKHH, old skool like the hill and tang are smaller, but i take that as them not having the mastering tools we have today, i dunno, less is more, but look at shadow or RJ, that FWORD remix is stacked with instruments, but it still sounds dope. I think it comes down to the old addage, if it sounds dope its dope full stop (NOT PERIOD- haha).....
I have to agree here. Sometimes you can have a lot going on without it sounding like a lot going on, its true every instrument has its place in the mix, and if it doesnt it shouldnt be there. The end result is all that matters when it comes to music. If it gets heads nodding or arses off chairs then its a good beat.

TheDragon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That was a really great article. It has a lot of useful tips in their, and I have a feeling I'll be going back to that article a lot. Thanks Fade.

M

Maxwell Dewolf

i agree with this. i think too much gong on in a track is bad as well. i try to make my beats with as little going on as possible. i also agree with not for emcee beat strategy too. this was very good and informative because lots of times i will be like this needs more stuff in it when in fact it probably did not. just got here and learnin already.

members online