Artist got signed from demo i produced

Soulja

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have been working with the local dude name Young Shavon for like 6 months. We cut a demo like 3 months ago. He started getting it in the hands of everyone he could, and somehow made it to an A&R at Dreamworks. I'm not sure what kind of deal he got, but I know he got a nice advance. I really didnt expect this guy to go anywhere he seems like a run-of-the-mill type rapper to me. I was really just working with him cause he was paying me, but now who knows I might be able to do some things through him.

Here are the tracks I produced for his demo. These are the tracks that got him signed. Let me know what you think.

Track 1
http://s16.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3LRE6KB7WPRTH2NA5FLTNH2XQJ

Track 2
http://s16.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0WPVRKUE366WU2YGZU1YEBW880

Track 3
http://s16.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=19U8NQEIN0RVR139WE7LQBFF2C

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Soulja:

Good job, man. I'm feeling your beats. Young Shavon is good too. A label like Dreamworks can probably help his image and style even more.

Ctrl

Soulja

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nnxt- To be real I never thought he was anything special. I'm not tryin to hate on him I think he is a cool cat. I was just never feelin him enough to think he had a chance. He just wanted really bad so he did what ever he had to do. Guess it worked. I'm not going to be fake and jump on his nuts now, but he likes me so we will probally work together again.

M!nd_Ctrl- Yeah I'm sure Deamworks will have a team of people working on him.

Producer_GyaL- Thanks. I would say that 90% of the guys that come to me want a commercial sound. I would much rather be working with a more grimy lyrist group though. Everyone thinks that they have to soun like Nelly, Chingy, J-Kwon to do anything out of St.Louis.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
So if He didn't like you, then you would jump on his nuts right? Just Kidding Soul, but the real Define real, and if the concept comes from inside you, know it isn't real, earth is the common denominator. I hope that's not over your head. For me, I can't even give a track away cause every mc is spitting the same stupid you know what.

Find out if the label enquired about you as in, if they ever asked who produced the beats.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo Soulja - well done mate!!

these songs are well produced and I think the rapper is real dope in an ignorant kind of way (like J Know, Chingy etc.)

getting an artist signed from a demo you produced = an excellent achievement

peace

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
Hey man, I was only playing. I hope he gets the best out of his situation.

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah man, you should definately stay up w/ that cat and find out how much influence your tracks had on the label's decision to sign him. I think that rappers come a dime a dozen and its startin to be like that w/ producers. Hip-hop/rap would be nothing without grimmee ass beats.

You said that all them fools in St. Louis are tryin to be like Nelly? I don't doubt it. I'm in Colorado and all the fools who rap out here are into tha same ole content. Sex, drugs, and violence has been the craze and will continue to. Hopefully The Kanye's and Talib's will continue to spark a new movement.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
yea i want to here that tracks but crongrats on that, that is a big achievment you never know dreamworks might be callin you to do some tracks for some other artist

Soulja

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just uploaded the demo tracks to soundclick for anyone interested.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/souljaoffatemusic.htm

Thanks for everyones compliments and support. I welcome all constructive criticism. I'm not sure what the label said about my beats, and to be honest It don't really matter. I don't usually make commercial sounding beats like those. That is the style he wanted so that is what he got, but I wouldnt want to make those style beats all the time.

beatzbybuddy- I really like what your doing. The tracks "Life" & "Fly Away" are definitely
my favorites. Your beats have alot of emotion to them. Best of luck with everything.

Soulja

illusion

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
im feeling the first and the third track but not too sure about the second track. good work overall though................keep it up and good luck.

peace out

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
Congrats to ya man and good luck.

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Alright Soulja way to go! Congrats on the success. Even though you may like to produce more underground ish; you show versitility by hittin' 'em up on both sides of the fence. Ain't nothin' wrong with that homie. The fact that someone got a deal off of your beats says alot! So now you might have a chance to get your foot in the door. Good work!
ONE

pirell

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
nice..but wht u dudnt say is whats in it for you? cos as far as i know, its very hard for a new act signed to a label to 'choose' his/her producers. they didnt sign YOU..they signed an artist u work(ed) with, and chances are he aint signed to you or your production company if u have one. unless the guy is flaming hot and they wldnt wanna lose him for a zillion bucks, that they will let him have his way and choose some of his producers. if not they aint gonna invest alot of money in someone and let him run the show when he's not proven..1st album drops and does ok, then he/she gets a bit more say in his sophmore album, and can then pick you to produce for him.

at best they may want to include one of ur tracks on the album if it gets to that stage, and if that happens, then you get points and publishing from that, which is an opening for you. however if not, then thats sort of a producers trap, ive been in the same situation..and im just hoping my cuts get selected for the album. but from the music people at universal and BMG i spoken to , they advise producers to have some sort of signing with an artist to him or his production label..cos the record company can come in and swoop on your biggest/best MC and snap him up and leave you reeling.

legally too. or maybe thats just my situation..whats in it for you ???

members online