ASCAP having problems? Sacrifices in payments

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
ASCAP Tells Artists It's Cutting Their Payments As It Brags To The Press How Much More Money It's Collecting

ASCAP feels like the gift that keeps on giving to those of us covering it. If you're an artist... not so much. We've covered many examples of how ASCAP's aggressive efforts to shut down venues from hosting up-and-coming singers is harming local musicians. And, we've also pointed out how they use a system to overpay large acts at the expense of small acts. Now it's getting even worse. Just as ASCAP is attacking groups like Creative Commons, EFF and Public Knowledge -- who help artists find more ways to take control over their own careers, it's also cutting back on payments to many of its artists:
ASCAP cut payments to some members of it's ASCAPlus program by 20-30%. "Unfortunately, because of the fiscal climate, less money was available this year for the award program," ASCAP said in a letter to those receiving checks.
Ah, right. The tough economic climate. We do know about that. But... wait. Here's an ASCAP press release from just five months ago, claiming it was bringing in more money than ever:
"Music is performed more often, in more places, in more ways by more businesses than ever before. That expanded music use, combined with dramatic ASCAP Membership growth, market share increases and effective strategic management have led to stunning revenue and distribution growth for 2009."
Okay, so ASCAP is collecting more money and distributing more money, but it's cutting the amount given to ASCAPlus members by a huge amount. What's ASCAPlus? Ah, right, the smaller artists who can't make a big stink about this:
"writer members of any genre whose performances are primarily in venues not surveyed; and/or writer members whose catalogs have prestige value for which they would not otherwise be compensated."
In other words, ASCAP appears to be taking more money away from small artists, and giving it to their biggest artists. No wonder ASCAP's Paul Williams refuses to debate Larry Lessig, claiming he'd rather focus on "fair compensation to music creators." Unless you're a smaller, less well known artist. Then ASCAP wants your share to be a little less fair. Actually, quite a bit less fair. Like 20 to 30%.

Copy and pasted from http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ess-how-much-more-money-it-s-collecting.shtml

-----
I have yet to affiliate with a PRO myself but I know someone here could use the heads up, info, etc.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Personally I think ASCAP is a joke anyway...it's a double edged sword though. I guess some money is better than NO money (in some cases). It's like youre damned if you do and damned if you dont.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Personally I think ASCAP is a joke anyway...it's a double edged sword though. I guess some money is better than NO money (in some cases). It's like youre damned if you do and damned if you dont.

Agreed! Lesser of to evils here I guess

Ive BEEN with BMI, but they are absolutely non communicative with those of us that arent making them money yet.

I was talking with a guy thats with ASCAP. He says they actually work with you. I think I know what I'ma do now...

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Thought I'd point out that I deal with ASCAP & BMI (& SESAC) every day so if anyone wants questions answered regarding these then let me know.

What I would say briefly in answer to some of the above, is that yes you should be joining one of the collection societies if you're getting any kind of play with your music. There are differences between each but unless you're of a decent level or have an area you are particularly active in live/sync or whatever then that's not worth worrying about.

It will be pretty tough to get answers if you're not really generating much money because they have a million writers and they deal with stuff on a priority basis a lot of the time. Again if you're getting some success then you need to be trying to meet with the Artist relations guys at these companies, if you join up through one of these guys then you basically have a direct line for any of your queries.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
What I would say briefly in answer to some of the above, is that yes you should be joining one of the collection societies if you're getting any kind of play with your music. There are differences between each but unless you're of a decent level or have an area you are particularly active in live/sync or whatever then that's not worth worrying about.

Could you do a post about the difference. Or send me somewhere. I've read both sites and "What they do", but their differences arent on that level, and no one can EVER tell me the difference.

I'm still choosing, this info will help my decision for future purposes.

TEKNODROME

ill o.g.
Is that why ASCAP has been prolonging my membership? I swear I have things ready in the tv industry and these fools are toying with my emotions!

members online