ASR 10 Questions..

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
Was looking for a thread regarding this magnificent equipment for I am very interested in having this on my production...just thought that I might share some knowledge that i have found scouring the internet...hopefully this might be useful to people who might have the Ensoniq ASR-10 or planning to buy one...(also hoping for current users to drop knowledge and love :D)

The Ensoniq ASR 10 is a sampling keyboard. basically used in the boom bap era..( i assume )
it gives a rich grimey old hiphop sound...(the real hiphop sound)...:eek:
some would prefer the sound given by this sampler rather than the akai mpc 2k, 2kxl...etc

if you are planning to buy one, try to avoid the ones with a purple screen, these kind have a short life span...( for what reason, i dont know)
buy the ones that are fully upgraded if possible, especially the ram...the standard model would come in 2mb if im not mistaken but could be expandable to 16mb....these are old samplers, getting a hold of upgrades are really hard to find (believe me, Ive been searching for upgrades even before I buy one. Ive been on the internet for about two weeks already and it really is hard to find upgrades that you can trust)
look for the ones with SCSI...this will allow you to connect CF cards and CD-roms etc. just for the equipment to be able to adapt to the fast changing technology today for the ASR-10 uses FLOPPY DISKS.
this equipment overheats so be very carefull if I were you, id hate to lose a very good vintage sampler.

that is it for now...i hope that this thread would cover more info on this for i have questions of my own...

i was planning on connecting this to my mpc 2500. sampling on the asr 10 going to the mpc then tracking out to ableton...just wondering if i still should get upgrades and such...

i was also planning on getting a turntable so i can sample from vinyl, how would i be able to get the samples to the asr 10?

so that would be...

ASR 10 > AKAI MPC 2500 >ABLETON or
TURNTABLE > ASR 10 > AKAI MPC 2500 >ABLETON

thanks a bunch!!;)

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I had an ASR-10 but sold it a few years ago because I didn't have room for it anymore.

For sampling vinyl, you need to run a line in to your ASR-10 from either an amp/mixer/whatever your using. I had a mixer/amp setup when I was using it. If you have any questions, let me know.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
This dosnt help with your question, but I thought is was a dope video that gets you excited about the ASR

Bugsy

ILLIEN
I had an ASR-10 but sold it a few years ago because I didn't have room for it anymore.

For sampling vinyl, you need to run a line in to your ASR-10 from either an amp/mixer/whatever your using. I had a mixer/amp setup when I was using it. If you have any questions, let me know.

maybe you could give pointers from buying one then upgrading to maintenance...that will be a big help for not just myself but others who might be interested too! :p ( then maybe i could ask you more questions if necessary? hehe )

This dosnt help with your question, but I thought is was a dope video that gets you excited about the ASR

acutally watched it a couple of times now...yep your right, it does hype me up to get one...but feeling two sided about it being vintage with rare upgrades. would you have one as well?

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Well, for the ASR-10, I never had to upgrade/perform maintenance, so I can't help you there unfortunately. It is a fairly complex machine to learn, and if you are coming from a software background it might be intimidating at first, but if you are willing to learn it, it can be very rewarding. Let us know if you do cop one. I haven't used one in years, but I can remember a few key things.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
It's produces some great sounds, and has one of the best effects processors I've used.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
It depends on your preference really. The keyboard is massive, just to let you know, and it weighs a ton. I bought the keyboard because it did everything (sampler and sequencer), and having keys was nice... but it's totally up to you and your needs.

Just don't get the ASR-X or whatever it was called.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bugsy

ILLIEN
i think i like the keys rather than the rack, but mostly the reason why im interested is because of the sound/sampler...
but i think i can just connect my midi keyboard to the rack? idk my way around it yet...but i think having the keys is waaay much more simpler than having the rack...no? plus there are more tutorials on you tube about the keys...

It's produces some great sounds, and has one of the best effects processors I've used.
tell us how you got yours and what things were you lookin out for when buying...

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I've had the keys, so I can recommend them.

Well, for buying, I found mine locally at a store used (keep in mind, this was almost 15 years ago). I was able to test it which was nice, and I'd recommend the same if you can. It's an old machine at this point, so you'll want to test all the keys/buttons/screen, inputs/outputs and make sure everything works OK. Obviously this isn't always possible, but just be aware that these are not new anymore. Also, I would recommend reading over the manual if you get a minute, I'd recommend doing that before making any decisions. Make sure that it's what you REALLY want, and not because it was a popular keyboard used in hip-hop. Just sayin'

Bugsy

ILLIEN
got it, might check some stores out today...

but what i actually meant to say was, if there are parts that i should be looking at that could easily be broken after a couple days of use, or parts that are good signs for me not to buy it...like the screen for example? found something on the internet that says not to buy the purple one? why is that?

I've had the keys, so I can recommend them.
Also, I would recommend reading over the manual if you get a minute, I'd recommend doing that before making any decisions. Make sure that it's what you REALLY want, and not because it was a popular keyboard used in hip-hop. Just sayin'

funny you should mention that...im printing a copy of it atm. :p

any links or stuff that you might know please post them that will be trully helpfull..;)

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
You've probably seen http://www.network54.com/Forum/165665/

It's the best resource I've found, and have used it for years and years. I don't know much about the purple screen thing, but others might know more.

For things that could break, anything with moving parts. Check the floppy disk first thing (part of the reason I sold mine, it was starting to go, and I couldnt be bothered repairing it at some point). You will need that to boot the keyboard up (although you might be able to boot from scsi, not sure...)

I'm just curious, but have you owned any other hardware devices before the asr-10?

Bugsy

ILLIEN
actually just bought my akai mpc 2500 2 weeks ago, i basically want the 2kxl, but went for this one since it has the box and everything. semi brand new, so i guess...no would be the appropriate answer?...
ive been using Ableton for about a year and a half and couldnt get the sound i want out of it, i just want the sound to be there already and just worry about how to play it, so i opted for an analog type of sound. and i tried researching every now and then (after a couple months into Ableton) and found that if i wanted that particular sound its either the asr 10 or 2kxl / 2k.

one of the reasons why im also considering the rack instead of the keyboard is the mpc 2500 that i already have...
from what i found out the asr 10 rack is easier to upgrade and cheaper..but its harder to cop a rack than it is a keyboard here, i would have to order from the states, and that is where it would make it sketchy, since the option of trying it out before buying it is not there.

You've probably seen http://www.network54.com/Forum/165665/

It's the best resource I've found, and have used it for years and years. I don't know much about the purple screen thing, but others might know more.

ive seen it, and now that youve mentioned it, i tried researching about the screen in there, and turns out asr 10 with purple screens are the newer models made with less overheating and crashing issues.

thanks though for reminding me, and ill be sharing what i find there just in case someone needs it...:)

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Might I suggest sticking to the MPC for a bit before making a decision? I only say this because the ASR adds another level of complexity to the setup, and I think you'll have quite a bit on your hands with the MPC right now. The ASR is awesome, but if I had an MPC, I don't know if I'd buy an ASR on top of that, unless I really needed it. It's a nice machine and an excellent sampler, but is also, well, old. So there's no waveform view, it's all by the numbers, that kind of thing. Anyways, think about it. Just some food for though.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
yup, i did think about that part, though, i really got the hang of the mpc in just days that ive held it, of course i did research on it before buying it and held on to the manual while trying to learn everything (not "EVERYTHING" but you get my point.)....along with an internet connection and a couple of forums and you tube of course, i do know my way around the 2500, (just not rthat fast) appreciate the advice though...really...but im just not concerned about the complexity or the waveforms...im just really after the "sound". good lookin out tho!

but....if you really still recommend me not buying it, i might not (plus the fact that the one i was planning on buying was already sold :( and there is only one in ebay)

OOOOOOOOOO WEEEEELLLLLL.......:rolleyes:

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I know what it's like to want music equipment, so I know the feeling! There will be others that will pop up no doubt, just hang in there. the MPC will do you good, trust me!

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
I STILL have my ASR-10. I don't think I could part with it even though I mostly use it to trigger sounds from PT8 and MASCHINE. It's such a classic piece of gear that I guess it's like having a piece of the 90s still.