At what point does sampling feel like stealing ?

unaufadox

ILLIEN
You made a good point but let me tell you this. Can you name a song that's original?
I sat and thought for a bit, then opened up my iTunes and hit shuffle. The first three tracks I would consider original that came on were:
H Town - I sleep you I wear you
Angelique Kidjo - Adje Dada
Michael Jasckson - don't stop till you get enough

With that second one I felt like saying, I am not being abstract on purpose here :D

Every musician/artist borrow a piece from everyone.
I am not denying that. Lenny Kravitz borrows from the Beatles but, in influence. Not snippets of their hits. It's in his sound and feel yet his sound and feel is his.

Hip hop gets the bad rep because it was never accepted as real music. You can use a midi and flip it different like you would do a sample. Your song example (Labi Saffre - My Song) did you know that song never hit the charts until Kayne sample it and made #49 in 2022... Labi Saffre had another hit and it went #14 on the charts "It Must Be Love" and this album came out in 1972. The way "US" hip hop producer flip samples and midi are unmatched and no genre can't do what we do and that's why they hate on little brother aka Hip hop
I accept Hip Hop as a real music. One look at the world and that's undeniable. From the almighty kick to the flow of some of these MCs. I was just listening to 260 by Ghostface and Raekwon. It's a piece of art.

I am not one to give it a bad rep. From 'the art of rap' documentary Grand Master Caz: hip didn't invent anything, it reinvented everything! That's facts. It is taking something and reinventing it whether it is a hit (kendrick lamar's poetic justice from the janet jackson track anytime anyplace) or something more abstract (busta rhymes put your hands where my eyes can see from seals and crofts' sweet green fields) it is still RE-inventing. Whitney Houston reinvented I will always love you. Knocked that s*** out of the park like Dolly Parton who haha

Brabus shouldn't get s*** cause they don't build Mercedes engines, they only tune them. Alpina shouldn't get s*** cause they only tune BMW engines and add things to their cars. Remixer shouldn't...etc etc. I think it is important to know what someone or a genre does. Own that, and appreciate the contribution.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
100% I've discovered so much cool music I likely wouldn't have listened to just by checking the sample. One could argue Dido's fame is a credit to Stan.
Facts. Otis Reading's try a little tenderness probably got introduced to a whole new generation by Kanye. Then, for the younger hip hop head who dug into it and wanted to know who else sampled it, and stumbled upon DTD my god, what a treat. All from Hip Hop.

I sat and thought for a bit, then opened up my iTunes and hit shuffle. The first three tracks I would consider original that came on were:
H Town - I sleep you I wear you
Angelique Kidjo - Adje Dada
Michael Jasckson - don't stop till you get enough

With that second one I felt like saying, I am not being abstract on purpose here :D

I am not denying that. Lenny Kravitz borrows from the Beatles but, in influence. Not snippets of their hits. It's in his sound and feel yet his sound and feel is his.

I accept Hip Hop as a real music. One look at the world and that's undeniable. From the almighty kick to the flow of some of these MCs. I was just listening to 260 by Ghostface and Raekwon. It's a piece of art.

I am not one to give it a bad rep. From 'the art of rap' documentary Grand Master Caz: hip didn't invent anything, it reinvented everything! That's facts. It is taking something and reinventing it whether it is a hit (kendrick lamar's poetic justice from the janet jackson track anytime anyplace) or something more abstract (busta rhymes put your hands where my eyes can see from seals and crofts' sweet green fields) it is still RE-inventing. Whitney Houston reinvented I will always love you. Knocked that s*** out of the park like Dolly Parton who haha

Brabus shouldn't get s*** cause they don't build Mercedes engines, they only tune them. Alpina shouldn't get s*** cause they only tune BMW engines and add things to their cars. Remixer shouldn't...etc etc. I think it is important to know what someone or a genre does. Own that, and appreciate the contribution.
All those songs that your name had a musical influence from somewhere. They didn't have samplers, logic or midi. They replayed and change the key of the beat to make it theirs. Also Angelique Kidjo (who do sample heavy) songs sounds like a Carlos Santana influence record, H-Town sounds like Al B Sure to Teddy Riley records and MJ record is Disco music mix with rock and roll drums. Quincy Jones didnt think of that he was going with the times. They all may be original music to a lot of us but real musician knows when someone taking another artist sounds, chords, drums and melody. Grand Master Caz said it correctly hip-hop reinvented everything. Hiphop brought all that dead music back to life and we'ew getting taxed at the end.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
All those songs that your name had a musical influence from somewhere.
Absolutely.

They replayed and change the key of the beat to make it theirs.
Agreed. ... Chuck Berry threatened to sue and they gave up the publishing because they knew man.

but real musician knows when someone taking another artist sounds, chords, drums and melody.

That’s all well and good. The thread is about where I think the line is and for me, chopping the chorus of a track, then putting that into a track that I make (as is) is over that line. The original artist of that would agree especially if I do 10 million in sales.

Influence is something different. The beach boys example above is what u spoke about. That’s sampling before the MPC it’s a straight rip off and you can tell that’s not influence.
Hiphop brought all that dead music back to life and we'ew getting taxed at the end.
It was a choice man. Can’t be mad at Sting for making his track that Puff samples for I miss you...can’t be mad at sting for getting his cheque for it every month. That’s HIS work. Puff CHOSE to revive someone else’s work (why not make an original piece cut Sting out of the picture?) Puff can’t take it and sell it for free that aint right.

Absolutely.

Agreed. ... Chuck Berry threatened to sue and they gave up the publishing because they knew man.

but real musician knows when someone taking another artist sounds, chords, drums and melody.

That’s all well and good. The thread is about where I think the line is and for me, chopping the chorus of a track, then putting that into a track that I make (as is) is over that line. The original artist of that would agree especially if I do 10 million in sales.

Influence is something different. The beach boys example above is what u spoke about. That’s sampling before the MPC it’s a straight rip off and you can tell that’s not influence.

It was a choice man. Can’t be mad at Sting for making his track that Puff samples for I miss you...can’t be mad at sting for getting his cheque for it every month. That’s HIS work. Puff CHOSE to revive someone else’s work (why not make an original piece cut Sting out of the picture?) Puff can’t take it and sell it for free that aint right.

Right! Puffy wasnt creative with that sample. He just loop the whole single :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. There's a list of artist on who not to sample from and sting is on that list. Thank GOD for Tracklib

unaufadox

ILLIEN
Right! Puffy wasnt creative with that sample. He just loop the whole single :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. There's a list of artist on who not to sample from and sting is on that list. Thank GOD for Tracklib
Yea man ! The audacity but, that was his style and more power to him. Won’t hear Mary complaining (or the other artists he sampled...he is putting food on their tables ) - at all With that style he helped launch her.

Deep about tracklib. Good it’s there. I just saw that Sting got someone else though...a newer rapper like juice world or somekne. He has their publishing or something for using his track. Maybe they should have checked tracklib too.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
All those songs that your name had a musical influence from somewhere. They didn't have samplers, logic or midi. They replayed and change the key of the beat to make it theirs. Also Angelique Kidjo (who do sample heavy) songs sounds like a Carlos Santana influence record, H-Town sounds like Al B Sure to Teddy Riley records and MJ record is Disco music mix with rock and roll drums. Quincy Jones didnt think of that he was going with the times. They all may be original music to a lot of us but real musician knows when someone taking another artist sounds, chords, drums and melody. Grand Master Caz said it correctly hip-hop reinvented everything. Hiphop brought all that dead music back to life and we'ew getting taxed at the end.
"Creativity is hiding your sources." - Supposedly Einstein but not verified.

Diddy has always done that though, he has an ear from what the masses want to hear and always seems to know how to bring in cross generational fans. I think there's also an art in understanding what will or won't sound good with modern rap/vocals on it.

Everything's recycled. I think a lot of fans love hearing old flipped to new, but from a producers standpoint it's annoying to know someone who made it in the industry made a track by essentially looping something for 4 minutes lol.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
Diddy has always done that though, he has an ear from what the masses want to hear and always seems to know how to bring in cross generational fans. I think there's also an art in understanding what will or won't sound good with modern rap/vocals on it.
Facts. My Son told me he’s latest album has some good tracks on it. Not sure if he is sampling heavy on it, or if it’s just a vibe. Definitely has an ear for things. Can’t deny his contribution.

Everything's recycled.
Agreed.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
Alright fellas, as promised. Had to break the rules and sample one of the best songs ever made.

Happy Halloween. Here's my Thriller flip:

Haha yea barely! i think this is a tidy sample. I was listening like...can i really not remember thriller cause I cannot hear it...then the door opened and later the cheeky kinda nod to it at the end. I have not written or rhymed anything for years but...i had flows in my head with this one. Not words just flows. And a deeper huskier voice than mine not sure what that was about....

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I was listening like...can i really not remember thriller cause I cannot hear it...then the door opened and later the cheeky kinda nod to it at the end.
So I did cheat a little and the main sample I used for the melody is actually a bit from a Frank Sinatra AI cover of Thriller, which was based on the Postmodern Jukebox cover of Thriller, so I'm a couple covers away from the original. So I'm not sure if it technically is a true Thriller flip, but either way had fun making this. Glad you liked it!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@unaufadox Kidjo is dope as Hell, peep her on the chorus for

members online