Audacity

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
In conjunction with Soundforge, I sometimes use a freeware sound editor called Audacity for editing samples as Audacity has a pretty handy feature called "Noise Removal".

Basically you highlight a section of the sample that contains hiss/static/background noise etc and click "get noise" - you then highlight the section of the sample you want these aspects removed from and click "remove noise". Simple as that. If used too harshly, it can create some undesirable side effects with sample but a lot of the time this can be corrected in Soundforge.

My question is: Does anyone know of any other programs that have this feature that are perhaps more precise?

Cheers
Daymo

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yep - I've done a lot of subtractive EQing in soundforge but I can't seem to get the same effect. I'm presuming the Audacity feature is nothing more than a preset EQ but I can't seem to get the same thing when manually EQing.

I just thought that since a freeware program has this funcuntionality - it might also exist in a better form in some of the more high end software.

Cheers
Daymo

hpnotiq

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
in cool edit you can get clicks and pops out indivuidaly by elimanting them seperatly if you want to do it super accurate or theres a normal one that does the whole sample, theres also a "noise remover" of some sort but im not familiar with it, but i know the click removal works wonders.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
hpnotiq said:
in cool edit you can get clicks and pops out indivuidaly by elimanting them seperatly if you want to do it super accurate or theres a normal one that does the whole sample, theres also a "noise remover" of some sort but im not familiar with it, but i know the click removal works wonders.
I cosign on that,,,,word.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Yes. I've used Cool Edit Pro for elimitating tape hiss, way back when I had a 4-track cassette recorder. I would record to cool edit, then do exactly what you said for Audacity... I would select only the tape hiss, before any sound came on, then go to "noise reduction" and click on "get profile from selection" or something... Then I would select the entire wave file, and process the elimination of the tape hiss from the entire mix.

If you set it high, then it can sound like a low-quality mp3, and you get what's referred to as "quantization noise". This has nothing to do with <i>quantizing</i>, it's basically the sound of what's missing, and what the computer sets algorithms to make up for the lost noise and you can hear it. So perform that process at a low rate and it will work pretty well.

I'm not sure if Adobe Auditions has it (Adobe bought Cool Edit) but I'm pretty sure it will.

members online